Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 11:07 am

What Does Aspergers Actually Do?

Synth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Oct 2008, 11:18 am

The realm of aspergers is way to broad for a simple definition, if that's what you are looking for.

Starrsy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 11:20 am

I Dont Want A Simple Explanation, Its Probably Not Simple. Just An Explanation Please.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 11:38 am

Like, what AS is about? I found that the NAS has various good explanations.

It is a really simple one, but it sure is a good start because it is easy to understand if you know next to nothing about Asperger's:

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=212&a=13433

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 11:48 am

Sora, that's a very nice, sweet, simple and to the point read. I think it's what people should use when they want to explain AS to a friend or relative.

Starrsy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 12:00 pm

Sora. That Was Alright To Read. I Found One Of The Things It Does To Me Because I Cant Ride A Bike Yet. lol.

JWRed
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Oct 2008, 12:32 pm

It makes life a living hell.

Mosse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Oct 2008, 1:16 pm

It means you're terrible at social contact and you usually are oblivious to current pop culture. You have one or more obsessions about a certain topic, like camera models or train schedules. If it's severe, you get stalked by social therapists and everyone notices how different you are and shuns you. It has it's good or bad points, and if you have it, you either love it or hate it.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 1:55 pm

The Aspie brain focusses more strongly than average, so flipping from one subject to another is difficult. The good focus is an asset, but also causes difficulties in multi-tasking which often show up in social situations, including the workplace, when neurotypical behaviour is expected.

Of course there's tons more to it, but that's the spine of the thing for me.