Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you have a mental universe? If so what kind?
No, I do not have one 14%  14%  [ 9 ]
Yes, It is Fantasy style 20%  20%  [ 13 ]
Yes, It is Sci-Fi style 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Yes, It is Semi Realistic 41%  41%  [ 27 ]
Yes, But it is another style 23%  23%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 66

Thunder2467
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Mar 2009, 8:37 pm

Hello.
I joined this site to find out if anyone else has a massive universe in their head.
I have only met one other person who had a mental world and I want to meet more.
The poll is to see what kind of worlds people have if any.

I used to have two mental universes: a fantasy and a sci-fi. The sci-fi one dissolved and contributed some aspects to the fantasy one.

Thunder2467
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Mar 2009, 8:39 pm

Here are some basic facts about my universe:

Magic exists as a controllable force
There are no humans; instead there are many non-human hominid species
There are many planets and the inhabitants can use magic to move from world to world
True death is extremely rare; beings either reform or continue to exist in another form
most beings are immortal and feed off ambient magic

More facts may be forthcoming if I get many responses

Whatsherhame
Toucan
Toucan

01 Mar 2009, 9:54 pm

I have so many worlds it's impossible to talk about them. :D

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 10:23 pm

I'm writing a novel right now, so I've got that universe in my head!

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 11:04 pm

I actually have several, but I chose "semi-realistic" because...

(and this is something that I'll only admit to where no one knows my last name and can't see my face)

I keep my semi-realistic universe running through my head pretty much constantly, but I also have several "sub universes" that I dip into every once in awhile and some of those are sci-fi or fantasy or variations of the main universe, like alternate timelines. I've gotten a lot of great materials for stories from this daydreaming. It's amazing how quickly I've been able to do a story for a class just because I daydreamed the entire plot, dialogue and character costumes included, a month earlier.

...I'm crazy in the most wonderful way. See, before I thought I was schizophrenic or something but then I met you fine people. Whew! 8)

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 11:10 pm

Yes I do. I have an entire world in my head. I have lots of friends there. I live there with my boyfriend. It was created by both of us but mostly by him. It's a wonderful place. I went to the icecream parlor with one of my friends there the other day, it was great. She got Vanilla, and I got strawberry. :) Yummy.

ngonz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Mar 2009, 12:11 am

My Aspie son has a fantasy/superhero world in his head. He has had the same world since 7th grade and is now a junior in college. His world has grown and developed over the years, as has his writing and artistic abilities. He is currently working on a graphic novel of his world.

Isn't that how Harry Potter got started? I think it's really cool!

www.neurointegrity.com

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 1:56 am

I was introduced to role-playing games in the early '80s. As a consequence, I have a number of worlds, whose history I can describe in detail (I even included the reason why, in my D&D world, people can wander in from completely unconnected games, and there are occasional technological artifacts).

My superhero world includes the idea of heroes voluntarily registering with the Bureau of Transhuman Affairs, which among other things provides a way to link a superhero name and bioverification with a coded file, so that, say, Frostfire can be identified in court without compromising his civilian identity or needing to take off his mask. (Telepathic evidence is not considered admissible in court; possession of energy-projecting powers is regarded in some jurisdictions as being equivalent to possessing a concealed weapon, and requires special licensing if they're ever used.)

I've worked out what's going on in the Pacific Northwest in the new version of White Wolf's World of Darkness, after having gone ot the trouble of assembling a complete Seattle By Night for the old version. (The new one doesn't have the werewolves and vampires at each other's throats for mystical reasons, but rather as a matter of territory. There are no thousand-year-old vampire princes - in the new version, anyone that old is regarded as probably hopelessly insane. And other such changes.)

I'm currently working on the adventures of the Intrepid-class long-range scoutship Meriwether Lewis, of the United Federation of Planets Starfleet, as it explores the Gamma Quadrant of the galaxy.

Is that enough? :)

animal
Toucan
Toucan

02 Mar 2009, 2:04 am

My mental universe is filled with objects and beams of light, and voices. I rarely see people's faces in there. The objects move around and their velocity is like a language to me. Also there are lots of plants. And books. And they all move in each others' direction and come into contact with each other in special ways that cause texture to emanate from them. Sorry if that sounds weird, but it's the only way I can describe it.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 2:16 am

Really good question!

Yes, Lab Pet does have a realm within self - interesting querry!

ItsMike
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Mar 2009, 2:57 am

Your inner world has already been broadcast on television. It was called "Buffy the Vampire Slayer".

Monsters, pretty girls, cartoon-like violence. What's not to like about it? Good choice.

Your question is really interesting. I didn't know that living in a fantasy world was an Aspie traite. My fanstasy world usually involves me being able to have the relationships I wished I could have in the real world. Jobs, friends, success, that sort of things. Sometimes it has a sci-fi theme, but it doesn't have to. Instead of an inner-world novel, mine is more like a book of short stories. I guess I get bored easily.

Drakshin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Mar 2009, 3:10 am

i have the kryans and their world, wouldn't say it's a Massive Universe but it's a planet so far, and a species, there are different explanations for physics, science and such, i have a big timeline, characters, cities and maps.

I've been "trying" to write a novel but my writting skills are maybe too... i can't put too much feeling into it, so sometimes i design a plotline work on it, but when it comes to writting i get stuck.. sigh

I'm a high fantasy fan, i believe tolkien's overrated, i prefer david gemmel, terry prattchet etc...

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 3:28 am

Thunder2467, it sounds like you have a good imagination. If you haven't already I suggest you start writing about that universe of yours and look for publishers.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 3:41 am

I used to have another 'world' but it was really just this one but instead I had Dragons (Pern style) that I could communicate with telapathically and a telapathic cat (actually called a ghatti.. from some book series I barely remember). The ghatta's name was Kay'al and she was my good friend.

I don't have anything in my head anymore.

I miss her. .. I don't think I've ever told anyone about Kay'al before :oops:

Sladkopiewchiewitz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Mar 2009, 4:41 am

The Universe I have in my mind is Science Fiction, old age has been eradicated so people basically live until either an accident befalls them or some other unfortunate event brings about their demise, also, people regenerate very well so it is difficult for them to die. Humans can travel through both hyperspace and wormholes. Projectile weapons have become outdated by energy weapons, there are aliens but they turned out to be less technologically advanced than us. They tried to invade but got anihilated before they even reached the planet and humans now have several bases on all the planets they inhabit but they have autonomous government, similar to the US having bases in Japan except that the locals are treated better. Unfortunately, like the real Universe, there are political groups who want to impose their ideas on everyone else in the Galaxy, they have formed terrorist groups and are causing a lot of havoc. Several of their high ranking officers have been caught and... dealt with. Oh and I'm Emperor of the Galaxy. I have nano-machines all throughout my body meaning that I'm practically invincible. There is a senate that governs the Galaxy. There are many disputes at the moment, people just can't seem to get on. A war just finished recently that involved 30 systems and the space in between, 35 billion people died. I'm considering writing a book.

Thunder2467
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Mar 2009, 7:38 am

thank you for your responses. i will try to respond to the ones so far:
Wrackspurt suggested i should write a novel. I would love to, but I have Disgraphia and cannot write, type, draw, or digitally render it.
Sladkopiewchiewitz, your universe sounds a lot like the last three books of the Ender Quartet, you should read them.
Drakshin, your world seems a lot like mine from what I can tell.

I forgot to mention, no animal that has ever existed on earth is in my world.
Another thing that contributes to my world is that if I hear a made-up word I usually get an image of a creature that fits the word.