Page 10 of 15 [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 8:07 pm

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Creature from Mary Shelley's Frankenstein yet.

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 8:20 pm

GLaDOS?

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Dec 2008, 8:43 pm

Anyone remember Aaron Pratt? A higher functioning autie on a CSI episode that involved the poisoning of a co-worker with ricin.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 10:09 pm

boots_dy1 wrote:
The Idiot (as in Dostoevsky's The Idiot)

absolutely!! bipolar possibly, too. (my favourite novel of all time, as well :D )

DJRnold
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Dec 2008, 1:14 pm

I thought of something today: If you combine Pinky and the Brain, you get an aspie!

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 2:12 pm

Morgana wrote:
I have another theory about fictional characters with AS...(an archetypal theory). I´ve been wondering about this for a long time, that´s why I thought I´d post it here.

First off, does anybody notice how many of us relate to characters like Spock and Data? This, due to their logical ways, mostly. Also: do any other science fiction fans out there notice- as do I- the very common theme, which comes up over and over again, of the "logical" creature trying to take over, and rule the world? In the 70´s, this fear was often portrayed as the humanoid-computer trying to take over the power of humans: (or sometimes it was illustrated as whole societies that were "evil", which were based on logic, no emotion, and the humans were watched over very carefully). It seems like there´s a whole history of evil androids, robots, extraterrestrials and other "logical" creatures that try to "take over"- (I believe that someone on this thread even mentioned "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"). As this theme comes up again and again, it seems, to me, to be illustrating a very important psychological fear. It´s almost as if the thing that´s being "threatened" by these so-called "logical" humanoids are those very things that people ( NTs?) use to define themselves. It seems that in our society, most people separate emotion from logic, believing them to work against each other- (something which I always thought was odd, but hey). So, with this thinking in mind, the humans fight doggedly against the "rational", desperately trying to keep their "emotion", and that which they feel makes them "human". (Okay, Spock and Data are basically more harmless versions of this same archetype; notice however, how neither of them run the show. The Starship Enterprise is commanded by the more "neurotypical" Capt. Kirk).

As this theme seems to illustrate some dark, indefinable psychological fear; could this be a reason for the fear against people with autism? Could it be the reason for the "cure-at-all-costs" mentally that some people seem to have? Could this be the reason why some use words like "lacking in empathy and imagination"?

I don´t mean to pit anyone against each other here, I realize I´m talking about archetypes, symbols, patterns, etc., and making some generalizations. I guess, like always, I´m trying to understand the "rest of the world", and maybe am not doing a very good job of it. It´s just that I find it interesting that that theme comes up so often.

Any thoughts???

i never really watched the original star trek, but i did watch the next generation religiously in high school, and i very much identified with the character of data.....i also remember that there were several episodes in which the storylines served to explore the nature of "emotional humanity" for lack of a better term, and more specifically the emotional humanity of data as it developed. it would seem that what was being inferred in the show was that emotional intelligence was a natural "symptom" of being alive and self-aware--of being sentient. that emotional humanity develops as logical understanding develops, and that logical understanding facilitates this humanity, rather than conflicting with it or inhibiting it in any way. that NT view of logic as the opposite of emotion never made any sense to me at all. not to be ironic, but does it not appeal to logic that a better understanding of a situation, and most especially of another person, would facilitate the ability to empathise with that person, to see their perspective more fully and therefore appreciate their emotional state more accurately? is this not that "emotional humanity" that NTs go on about, that "human question"?

there is so much in the way that the NT world perceives the relationship between logic and emotion that i don't understand and have always found very backwards and confusing--just like pretty much everything else about western society in general.....

my personal theory is that western culture as a collective consciousness has run mad, and we are actually the sane ones in an irrational world...but now i'm just rambling lol

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 2:19 pm

Bella and Edward (is that his name?) from Twilight.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 4:11 pm

starvingartist wrote:

there is so much in the way that the NT world perceives the relationship between logic and emotion that i don't understand and have always found very backwards and confusing--just like pretty much everything else about western society in general.....

my personal theory is that western culture as a collective consciousness has run mad, and we are actually the sane ones in an irrational world...but now i'm just rambling lol

Hey- I TOTALLY agree :!:

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 8:41 pm

Any powerful/misunderstood lone "human pocketknife/penknife" type personality who "looks great on paper", but also has a major character flaw.

AGMorehouse
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Dec 2008, 10:40 pm

Did anyone mention Harry Potter himself?

Here is how:

-Obsessive when it came to knowing what Draco was up to. In Half-Blood Prince, Harry made Draco the focus of his conversations, and always following him around. He was also obsessive over Ginny in the Half-Blood Prince, because when he got injured, he was mentally constructing a scene in which Ginny was crying over his bed.
-Not aware of his surroundings. The Sectumsepera scene showed he had no clue what he was getting into
-He's somewhat lazy when it comes to his studies. He only got slightly than average marks on his O.W.L's, and the only thing he did well on was the Defense Against the Dark Arts. In fact, in Order of the Phoenix, the D.A showed that was all he knew.
-Can be easily frustrated. While on the Qudditch team, he was so easily frustrated that he bellowed when he couldn't take enough. Can lash out in Deathly Hallows, especially at Ron.
-Not willing to stand up for himself. When he was in detention with Umbridge, he was not willing to report that his hand had the writing "I must not tell lies." In HPB, he didn't defend himself to say that Malfoy was going to use an unforgivable curse on him
- Isolated. He especially shows this in Goblet and Order.

you will jouney from boy to man

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 2:03 pm

Any character with highly attuned senses/equipment who acts as the tribe's "eyes and ears". Any Egon Spengler type character who cannot "switch off" and analyses every aspect of the situation/physical environment in great detail with complex technical jargon. Fiddles with gadgets a lot. He/she is usually the tribe's "last chance saloon" or "secret weapon" in the event of a catastrophe.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 2:45 pm

Any of the inhabitants on "Merrytwit Island" in "Charlie Chalk".

Perhaps the unique character's personalities are "islands" in themselves. The characters interact in an honest and practical fashion. They are individuals and each has his/her unique job to do to contribute to the community. There is no Mob mentality. The humour is very dry and satirical.

I keep seeing a recurring themes in media to do with eccentrics or lost tribes being marooned on islands/islands sinking into the sea. Something buried deep in human consciousness perhaps?

MOA
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Dec 2008, 9:17 pm

just_ben wrote:
That Christopher kid from 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time'

Oh, definitely! I love that book!

MOA

22 Dec 2008, 9:27 pm

DarthMaxeuis wrote:
just_ben wrote:
That Christopher kid from 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time'

For sure. I've read that book, it is incredible how you can see that guy as AS. Must be one of the most famous books with the main character and the main theme on Asperger's Syndrome.
But it isn't clearly marked that "Christopher has AS" in the book, but he has most of the characteristics of AS.

It wasn't clearly marked intentionally, I believe. I loaned my copy out and can't look right now, but I think the author worked with people who had autism and AS and wanted to write a book where the main character was on the spectrum, but wasn't treated as such in the book.

MOA

22 Dec 2008, 9:39 pm

ChatBrat wrote:
Anne of Green Gables with the actress Megan Follows

Mr. Rogers from Mr. Rogers Neighborhood

Some people mentioned Hank Hill, but what about Peggy Hill? She seems every bit of AS as Hank does. Actually so do a lot of other characters on that show.

The Professor from Gilligans Island

It's been a lot of years since I've read the Anne of Green Gables series, but I don't remember her behaving like a person with AS. I thought she was a bit shy because she was thrust into a new enviornment with Matthew and his siter (can't think of her name). They seemed a bit different to me, but then, they are in a different culture than which that I grew up in. (Southern US vs. Canada) Help me remember...

MOA

22 Dec 2008, 9:48 pm

ephemerella wrote:
gb2002 wrote:
RarePegs wrote:
Prof. Henry Higgins? (Pygmalion/My Fair Lady)

I can see that. He was somewhat obsessive and then also clueless when it came to feelings.

That's a regular professor. The Asperger ones are REALLY different...

I think I had an Asperger professor in seminary. He had his own world. He was a walking encyclopedia of church history--could spout out any fact from any time period, no matter what century. He wore red socks every single day, for every event, with every attire (even suits and tuxedos). He had done this since college I think, as a declaration of definance and a way to say "different is good." He had a monotone-like voice and sometimes slurred his word (no he wasn't an alcoholic!), and he rode his bicycle everywhere with his suit and red socks. He didn't socialize a lot and seemed uncomfortable and shy much of the time. But every Christmas he would go to the student union and a bunch of us adults would come (and bring our children if we had any) and listen to him read How the Grinch Stole Christmas.