Page 11 of 15 [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 2:03 pm

Any character with highly attuned senses/equipment who acts as the tribe's "eyes and ears". Any Egon Spengler type character who cannot "switch off" and analyses every aspect of the situation/physical environment in great detail with complex technical jargon. Fiddles with gadgets a lot. He/she is usually the tribe's "last chance saloon" or "secret weapon" in the event of a catastrophe.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 2:45 pm

Any of the inhabitants on "Merrytwit Island" in "Charlie Chalk".

Perhaps the unique character's personalities are "islands" in themselves. The characters interact in an honest and practical fashion. They are individuals and each has his/her unique job to do to contribute to the community. There is no Mob mentality. The humour is very dry and satirical.

I keep seeing a recurring themes in media to do with eccentrics or lost tribes being marooned on islands/islands sinking into the sea. Something buried deep in human consciousness perhaps?

MOA
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Dec 2008, 9:17 pm

just_ben wrote:
That Christopher kid from 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time'

Oh, definitely! I love that book!

MOA

22 Dec 2008, 9:27 pm

DarthMaxeuis wrote:
just_ben wrote:
That Christopher kid from 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time'

For sure. I've read that book, it is incredible how you can see that guy as AS. Must be one of the most famous books with the main character and the main theme on Asperger's Syndrome.
But it isn't clearly marked that "Christopher has AS" in the book, but he has most of the characteristics of AS.

It wasn't clearly marked intentionally, I believe. I loaned my copy out and can't look right now, but I think the author worked with people who had autism and AS and wanted to write a book where the main character was on the spectrum, but wasn't treated as such in the book.

MOA

22 Dec 2008, 9:39 pm

ChatBrat wrote:
Anne of Green Gables with the actress Megan Follows

Mr. Rogers from Mr. Rogers Neighborhood

Some people mentioned Hank Hill, but what about Peggy Hill? She seems every bit of AS as Hank does. Actually so do a lot of other characters on that show.

The Professor from Gilligans Island

It's been a lot of years since I've read the Anne of Green Gables series, but I don't remember her behaving like a person with AS. I thought she was a bit shy because she was thrust into a new enviornment with Matthew and his siter (can't think of her name). They seemed a bit different to me, but then, they are in a different culture than which that I grew up in. (Southern US vs. Canada) Help me remember...

MOA

22 Dec 2008, 9:48 pm

ephemerella wrote:
gb2002 wrote:
RarePegs wrote:
Prof. Henry Higgins? (Pygmalion/My Fair Lady)

I can see that. He was somewhat obsessive and then also clueless when it came to feelings.

That's a regular professor. The Asperger ones are REALLY different...

I think I had an Asperger professor in seminary. He had his own world. He was a walking encyclopedia of church history--could spout out any fact from any time period, no matter what century. He wore red socks every single day, for every event, with every attire (even suits and tuxedos). He had done this since college I think, as a declaration of definance and a way to say "different is good." He had a monotone-like voice and sometimes slurred his word (no he wasn't an alcoholic!), and he rode his bicycle everywhere with his suit and red socks. He didn't socialize a lot and seemed uncomfortable and shy much of the time. But every Christmas he would go to the student union and a bunch of us adults would come (and bring our children if we had any) and listen to him read How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

MOA

22 Dec 2008, 10:38 pm

anna-banana wrote:
Lepidoptera wrote:
How about Dr. Spencer Reid on Criminal Minds?

yes we had that:

violet_yoshi wrote:
MartyMoose wrote:
The thin nerdy smart guy on Criminal Minds

You forgot to mention that he's cute too! :heart:

I don't watch it so no idea who's the cute one though ;p

Dr. Reid is pretty clearly an Asperger's adult I think. He reminds me so much of my son when he goes on and on and on about a topic while those around him are clearly in a totally different world.

MOA

22 Dec 2008, 10:44 pm

The two people that identify themselves as Asperger's adults are:

1) Jerry on Boston Legal (he's been mentioned already)

2) a new female doctor on Grey's Anatomy. She is probably in her 40's with long dark brown hair. She was trying to decide if she wanted to join the staff but was not happy that people were not nice to each other and made fun of her. While she was waiting for a family to decide whether or not they would pull the plug on their daughter and needed some time together, the doctor was working herself into a meltdown because there were so many other people who were dying without donor organs. She just kept talking at them, spouting out facts about how people are dying because they are not giving their daughter's organs up. She was asked to leave the room because she was upsetting the family so.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 8:45 pm

MOA wrote:
The two people that identify themselves as Asperger's adults are:

1) Jerry on Boston Legal (he's been mentioned already)

2) a new female doctor on Grey's Anatomy. She is probably in her 40's with long dark brown hair. She was trying to decide if she wanted to join the staff but was not happy that people were not nice to each other and made fun of her. While she was waiting for a family to decide whether or not they would pull the plug on their daughter and needed some time together, the doctor was working herself into a meltdown because there were so many other people who were dying without donor organs. She just kept talking at them, spouting out facts about how people are dying because they are not giving their daughter's organs up. She was asked to leave the room because she was upsetting the family so.

I think Jerry has alot more than AS

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 6:09 pm

Max Cohen from Darren Aronofsky's Pi.

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.

DJRnold
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Dec 2008, 1:15 am

DJRnold wrote:
I thought of something today: If you combine Pinky and the Brain, you get an aspie!

Firegirl531
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Dec 2008, 4:53 am

L from Death Note

Abangyarudo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2008, 7:43 am

DJRnold wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:
DJRnold wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:
House from House M.D.
You wish. :roll:

What's that supposed to mean?
As someone else has said (it seems it was a different thread) House has excellent ToM (Theory of Mind). I say "you wish" because a lot of Aspies on WP like to think that any smart person or character has AS, even when there isn't much to base it on. Being smart is not a symptom of AS!

I disagree with the notion that people with AS lack theory of mind. I believe that I myself have theory in mind how the idea is presented to me. What house does have (obsessive interests, processing fine grain details, limited empathy, stereotyped and repetitive moments(bouncing the ball playing with a yo yo etc), difficulty transitioning to change (as seen in episodes where he had to live with wilson and cuddy taking over his office) Thats just my opinion.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2008, 8:20 am

nothingunusual wrote:
Max Cohen from Darren Aronofsky's Pi.

Yes! I agree. (love that film).

Jimbeaux
Toucan
Toucan

25 Dec 2008, 8:26 am

Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2008, 9:55 am

Any "lone wolf" type character, for example, Shadow the Hedgehog could be one. Havok from CNC Renegade as well.