Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

lotsofsnails
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jan 2010, 11:47 am

I was reading this thread http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt117611.html and it says

Quote:
I know that a lot of aspies simply don't have a credit card because it may lead to compulsive spending.

I'm really surprised - I'm quite frugal and am really paranoid about not spending too much money and not wasting any; I can't stand having regrets. I really try not to spend too much money on things I don't need. And my uncle probably has AS and he takes it to extremes - growing his own food, buying any other food in bulk, getting things from charity shops. And my mum is quite insistent that I don't end up like that, she keeps telling me not to worry about spending money.

So I just assumed this was an aspie-ish trait? Is anyone else like me?

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 11:53 am

I'm like that... funny I'm about your age too... I don't even buy food that often, like once every two weeks? It helps that I'm on a meal plan haha

The only things I'll actually spend money on are art supplies, and anything to feed my unhealthy knitting obsession. I haven't spent over $30 on any article of clothing for as long as I can remember. I'm such a cheap ass.

racooneyes
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jan 2010, 12:03 pm

Depends, I don't spend any money at all on certain things I should but I go for luxury type food and spend a lot of money on my main interest lol

get all confused and then mix up the dates.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 12:28 pm

I have a credit card. Haven't used it in two years. Zero balance.

Yes, I'm very frugal. I've actually managed to hit the top of the SSI resource limit, which takes quite a lot of doing considering that SSI is about a third below the federal poverty limit and the resource limit is $2k. Of course, I immediately ended up with lots of unforseen expenses that would've left me homeless if I hadn't saved up the money to pay them; so it's a good thing I pinch pennies like that. At the moment, I have something like $2.50 in the bank after this month's sky-high heating bill, and a $120 traffic ticket I can't pay (strategy: use student legal aid's lawyer, who can stall until summer when I have enough to pay)....

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 12:38 pm

I have a credit card, for what it's worth. I don't generally use it too often though. When I'm out I generally prefer to withdraw money from the cash machine and conduct my business that way. When I am on the Internet I do use it but that is probably about once a month or so.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

24 Jan 2010, 12:41 pm

uhm yes, im thifty because i need to be to feed my addiction for my obsessions. once a packet of saltine crackers lasted me four days for food because i wanted to buy a trading card! hollar back now, dont be scared

Last edited by richardbenson on 24 Jan 2010, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 12:41 pm

I have a credit card, and I earn around 500 dollars per month, and I use to spend all of them really quick, I'm a shpping crazy freak :twisted:

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

24 Jan 2010, 12:43 pm

is that horgh or nattefrost in your avatar?

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 12:48 pm

i have a few credit cards, only one has a balance on it. i can be incredibly frugal when i need to be. (i once raised a baby with only $500 income per month, and i had to pay all expenses, including $350 per month rent, out of that total.) i find that, if i'm not careful, my spending habits expand if my income goes up, and i forget to put additional money back into savings. to counter that i have all my bills paid automatically by my bank, and have diverted a good portion of my paycheck into a savings account at a different bank - again, automatically so i don't even realize it's there. that seems to be the way to go for me. although i'm not a wild spender by anyone's definition.

Gaya
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jan 2010, 1:16 pm

I was adamently against getting a credit card until I realized it would be a good way to establish credit so I can do something like buy a house in the future. I use my credit card mainly for gas, and pay it all off in full at the end of the month. I never pay just the minimum because I know they'll charge me interest on the unpaid amount.

I also think I'm naturally more frugal than most people. I just don't have many things I want to spend money on. Every once in a while I'll splurge; I got a 120 GB Zune for instance, because it's important for me to have all my music in one place for my walks.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 1:18 pm

no credit cards, a debit card that doesn't advance any money I don't have.
I have been bitten so many times, I just don't.

Frugal sometimes, to the point of miserlyness, and then one day, I spend it like it was monopoly money. I gotta watch myself. But frugal, yes, although I call it 'zen'.

RhettOracle
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jan 2010, 2:21 pm

I was so poor for so long that I didn't have a credit card with my name on it until I got married at 39, as an authorized user on my wife's card. Before that, I couldn't even rent a movie! A guy at Blockbuster once told me I'd need to have a car and get a license (over a thousand dollars) before they'd rent a movie to me ($15 for the cost of the tape).

There have been times in the past that I have gone without food to buy records (I am a serious collector), but I haven't done that in decades. I don't spend much money now. There isn't much that I need. Last fall, I bought a keyboard, and started a credit account with the store. The sales clerk was amazed that it was approved instantly, because I have such a stellar credit rating. He said most applications are refused due to the poor credit history of working (or usually non-working) musicians.

We have been working hard to get out of debt that was accrued by my wife while she was a student, and for household items everyone needs when they get married and set up their home. It'll only be a few more years and we'll be in the clear. So I guess for that reason, we are fairly frugal, putting money into paying off the cards. We don't shop at the Dollar Store, or get our clothing from thrift shops, but we don't go nuts buying stuff we don't need.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 3:08 pm

I don't have a credit card, and nor do I want one. If I want to order books and music, I do it at the kiosk at my local Indigo Chapters. I don't see any need for my to have a credit card.

alana
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 3:12 pm

yes I am frugal but with me it has more to do with hating the skanky spiky energy of brand new things. And I was born in and spent a good deal of my life in a hippie town so I recycle everything and don't generate a lot of trash.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 3:18 pm

I am the opposite. As soon as I get a decent job, I plan to buy a big screen TV/home theater system, a luxury SUV, and furniture from Ikea--even if it means marrying a woman for her money.

I am a cartographer/urban planner by training, have a bachelor's degree, and have 5 years of experience. My combination of education and experience would easily land me a $60,000-70,000/year job.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Last edited by Tim_Tex on 25 Jan 2010, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 3:18 pm

I'm pretty frugal. I don't like spending money, and when I do, I usually do it on E-Bay or other online place. I try to pay as few taxes as possible since I get no benefit from governments. I do tend to use my credit card to pay my bills, but I pay the thing off every month.