Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 2:25 am

I have ner anmd prolly never will do any form of im . I hate the idea as soon as i log on, people know and can intereupt me at any time they want.

SPCOlympics
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Nov 2008, 2:36 am

I don't know about the others but with Yahoo IM, you can set it so that others see you as logged out all the time.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 3:02 am

its really annoying trying to work with those stupid IM's popping up, its to distracting to get any work don't

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 3:07 am

like coworkers, roomates...guy n the desk next to you inclass...in the miovie theater

28 Nov 2008, 3:26 am

I love IMs but the only difference I do lot of errors because I type so fast. They don't pop up when you get messaged. The window just flashes as the bottom of the page. Only the new ones pop up though and then the window just flashes at the bottom of your screen if you don't ever click out of the conversation.

If I am too busy or I don't feel like chatting, I don't sign on.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 4:48 am

I almost never use IM. That's kind of bad because the only friends I have, use IM to communicate almost exclusively.

So I lose track of them.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

happypuff
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Nov 2008, 4:54 am

I have it signed in most of the time I'm on the computer.
If I need to do important work, I'll switch it off. But I tend to think best in the morning and my friends come on at night, so working time doesnt interfere with chatting time :P

Having said that, I tend to talk to my friends over IRC (these are people I've met in RL on several occasions btw, some of them I have classes with), with 2-4 usually online at once. Use it preferentially to MSN unless need to discuss something deep/important/private. Which is good because I can choose when to join/leave the conversation :)

ja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Nov 2008, 7:49 am

Eggman -- Why don't you try Twitter? www.twitter.com

Let everyone on your IM know that they can 'follow you' on Twitter.

You can even follow Wrong Planet on Twitter - http://twitter.com/wrongplanet

I am @ http://twitter.com/johnnyA Hope to follow you soon

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 12:43 pm

the only way am able to communicate with family when not with them is via msn-speak to dad,sister,sisters boyfriend through her account,and one support staff from the NAS on it.
unless it was staff or a relative am like,would never add anyone else.

if hate IMs because of how overloading they get-start again,and only add a maximum amount of users that are able to cope with.
another way is to add other users to same window,which is what am do when several are on,gets rid of some confusion.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 2:04 pm

Instant Messaging? Pointless, unless all the telephones are dead. Even then, it would be likely that the Internet and the electrical utilities would also be down.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

HereComeTheLizards
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Nov 2008, 2:30 pm

I've made several friends via instant messaging over the last few years.

Fallen out with every single one via instant messaging, too.

ReGiFroFoLa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Nov 2008, 2:45 pm

What the hell "ims" is/are? :evil: :doh: :huh:

28 Nov 2008, 3:44 pm

IM=Instant Messaging

ReGiFroFoLa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Nov 2008, 4:16 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
IM=Instant Messaging

Thnx for explaining

jamieg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Nov 2008, 8:59 pm

i hate im because the only people that ever used it to send me messages were total strangers asking for all kinds of personal information and trying to start a cyber sex session and i do not want to give out any information or cyber sex with anyone and one reason is that you never know the real age of a stranger and could get trapped into a pedophile charge even if the other person lies to you and that is not fair and i want no part of it

28 Nov 2008, 9:16 pm

jamieg wrote:
i hate im because the only people that ever used it to send me messages were total strangers asking for all kinds of personal information and trying to start a cyber sex session and i do not want to give out any information or cyber sex with anyone and one reason is that you never know the real age of a stranger and could get trapped into a pedophile charge even if the other person lies to you and that is not fair and i want no part of it

Lot of women get that stuff. It's even worse when you have a diaper fetish. Luckily I don't really get that crap like I used to.

I just had to keep saying 'no' and stop talking to them. I would ignore their IMs or they just never spoke to me again.