Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 3:02 am

Alwyas thought of the phone as a tool for me to talk to others not the otherway around...
Basically Iwuill not not drop what Im doing, or run out of the bath, ect. Just to answaer it. ANd if peiple think that after two rings I am unable to get to the phone that they dont want to talk to me, then I dont want to talk to them.

28 Nov 2008, 3:33 am

I also ignore my phone sometimes. I will answer it if I feel like it. I kept getting campaign calls and I just stopped answering the phone. Now that the election has passed, I am answering it again. I have an answering machine so if the call is that important, they can leave a message.

ReGiFroFoLa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Nov 2008, 3:53 am

I am scared of the phones! Phone are evil :evil:

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 4:54 am

Caller ID is an Aspie's best friend. :D

DarthMaxeuis
Toucan
Toucan

28 Nov 2008, 5:04 am

Cellphones are EVIL :evil:
People use them only for chatting about pointless things.
I only use it for emergencies and for calling my driver.

Barce
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Nov 2008, 6:13 am

I've never cared about mobile phones. I'd always scab cheap and crappy hand me down kinds of my parents. I'd also never give them a ring tone or anything. I'd just set it to a very boring ring tone which already comes with the phone.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 6:50 am

Hey, I don't even answer the door unless I'm expecting somebody 8) I hate the very idea of the phone being able to ring at random - email is much better, I can look at that when I've got the time. Best solution is to put the ansafone on 2 rings, and only pick up when I know who it is and what they're after. I'm also on Telephone Preference (TPS) which seems to keep most of the telemarketers off my back. I've roasted a few of those, been very nasty to them, and my heart tells me I should have been nastier still, and one day a telemarketer will get me in just the right mood and I'll vapourise him.

Mobile phones are very handy at times but I wouldn't want to carry one switched on all the time. I need time to prepare to talk with somebody, I can't just launch into a conversation at the drop of a hat.

The bottom line is that interruptions mess me up and if people want to say anything to me, they'll just have to wait till I've finished what I'm doing. If it's genuinely necessary, I'm flexible. Otherwise, I've no idea why they bother me.

JeffMe
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Nov 2008, 11:31 am

Often, I am so focused, I do not often understand that the phone rings, I hear the audio-ly that no sound is present, but no more.

Since it is so, that I hear it well. So, it is far from always, I respond.

There is so much harder to see any audio effectively, against what it is visually, when you see a text. With your hearing, it's much more we need to interpret. It makes it difficult.

But nevertheless, I prefer to keep conversation over the telephone in a meeting where the individual is physically in my vicinity.

It is not that I'm antisocial, shy or similar. Without that it takes such forces.

However, there are some individuals I can hang out with in a conversation in which we find ourselves in the same room. It occurs.

I find it difficult to see people in the eye. Some believe that I am rude, it is not about that. Some people that I am shy, not that either. But simply because it is difficult. However, some times you can, can not explain why it go sometimes, the other times not. Paradoxically.

Some may consider that I'm antisocial, but it's not that I'm antisocial, but that access only for dealings sake does not work for me. I must get something out of it, otherwise I prefer to myself. It must bring something.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 11:46 am

Eggman wrote:
Alwyas thought of the phone as a tool for me to talk to others not the otherway around...
Basically Iwuill not not drop what Im doing, or run out of the bath, ect. Just to answaer it. ANd if peiple think that after two rings I am unable to get to the phone that they dont want to talk to me, then I dont want to talk to them.

I admire you. I really do. People obsess over their cell phones way too much.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Nov 2008, 12:32 pm

I have to admit that I too sometimes ignore the phone. If I am in the bathroom, or involved in something where I don't want to be bothered, I will often let it ring. At first I thought I was being rude, but in looking at this more closely, I would be rude to myself to answer it when I didn't want to. And yes, the caller ID is a great friend. Since we are onto phones, I would like to share something I do with telemarketers. I learned this from the great educational comedian speaker Carl Hurley. Whenever I answer the phone and its a telemarketer, I let them deliver their sales pitch, then when it is time for me to respond I say,
"They came last night?" The telemarketer will say, "What?" And I respond, "You know, from up there, they came last night." Usually they will hang up. But other times they allow you the privilege to have more fun. Another good comeback is, "Today's my birthday, you know what I'm wearing?" As Carl Hurley says, "You might as well laugh" about life, and I have come to live by that advice. Here is a good telemarketer comeback I came up with---because you can tell with the caller ID if it is a telemarketer---I have a tape recorded audio track of audience applause and pretend like I am some game show waiting for the lucky tenth caller, and guess what, you are the tenth caller. Then I ask some stupid question if they haven't already hung up. So even though the phone can be a bother, it can also be a lot of fun.

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 1:06 pm

I absolutely hate getting telephone calls. If anyone other than my girlfriend calls me unexpectedly, I tend to get rather angry. I leave my phone on vibrate, do not carry it with me if I am not expecting to use it, and normally do not answer if I do have it with me. I figure that, if it is important, they will leave a mesage and I can call them back when I feel like it. Unfortunately, most folks assume that, because you have a cell phone, you will have it with you and also be able to drop whatever you are doing and talk.

I also hate wating for a call, because I will not do anything that may be interrupted if I am waiting for a call. Since people seldom call on time, I usually have to wait in limbo for an unspecified amount of time.

I like writing letters.

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Nov 2008, 1:24 pm

I never answer the phone before I can ccheck who's calling. If I don't know the number, I don't answer, simply as that. I also hate answering machines. When I call someone and the machine is talking, it's over. I never leave a message

Laurz_2192
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Nov 2008, 1:37 pm

I hate telephones. Hate them, hate them, hate them. Be in landlines or mobiles, I hate them. I especially can't stand how our home phone had no caller ID. So when my work phoned me on a Tuesday morning to ask me to work, I couldn't avoid the phone call without ignoring ringing and ringing and ringing and ring-...

I actually hate talking on the phone. I won't phone somebody up for a conversation for no reason. I phone, ask question, but phone down. Done. Luckily, the phone we bought today has caller ID (Hooray!) so no more sneaky calls from work :D I only keep my mobile on me for emergencies. Not a major "necessity" to say, but very useful never the less.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 1:47 pm

I absolutely love phones and can spend hours conversing with my friends. I prefer talking on a phone to instant messaging on a computer, where your hands can get achy, especially if you want to go on long winded rants. It's also too overwhelming when 6 different people try to chat with you. Interestingly enough, I hate answering the phone when it's for someone else.

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 3:02 pm

I am the opposite, if I get a call or a text I have to answer or respond right away, same with e-mails!

However, when I'm on the phone the conversation sometimes stops and I cant think of what to say (gee, thanks AS! :roll: )

I prefer texting myself, and now I have my iPhone I prefer e-mail coz its free! :P

melissa17b
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Nov 2008, 3:26 pm

Thank you ToughDiamond and Kaysea for perfectly summing up my feelings about the telephone.

It annoys people that I'm not always reachable. I don't let that become my problem.