Would these things be considred echolalia?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ferret
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Nov 2008, 10:19 pm

psychotic_jester wrote:
Someone says "flag" and I might start reciting lines from a comedian called eddie izzard whilst imitating his accent....

Haha I get that whenever I hear "plumber"... "A plumber? What on EARTH is that?"

I get all kinds of what I think may be echolalia. Here's my weirdest one: I'm watching tv or someone's talking. A random phrase will stick in my mind and repeat itself. I can see the words. I then have to arrange them symetrically to form the most pleasing pattern. Like (and you'll have to imagine that everything's centralised because I can't figure out a way of not making it left-justified or whatever the hell it is and it's annoying me now)...

A
plumber
?
what on EARTH is that
?

The question marks get their own lines because they're punctuation and they confuse me. I had to turn the W lower case because it threw things off-balance. EARTH is pretty stisfying, obviosly :lol:

What the bloody hell is that all about??

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 10:47 pm

Rynessa wrote:
When I hear someone on tv speaking with a different accent from mine, I often repeat what they've just said, trying to mimic their accent.

My understanding is that true echololia is automatic, lacking an element of will. "Do or do not. There is no try."

Katatonic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 10:57 pm

Sometimes I'll say things when in a conversation that came directly out of a movie...like a line or two. I don't mean to, it just happens *shrugs*

I recite a crap load of Fight Club quotes though...

And I can mimick about.......*thinking*........like 6 different accents. Maybe more, I don't know. If I moved to another state I could make people think I was English, Australian, Norwegian, Mexican....whatever.