Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 6:13 pm

It is -5 degrees Celsius in Edinburgh right now. It will probably get even colder than that as the night goes on. I can quite easily and happily survive for long periods in conditions like this and could spend a lot of time outdoors like this quite happily, in a way that most people simply cannot. That's because of my hyposensitivity to cold (hypo meaning under, not hyper meaning over).

Who else has this experience and is hyposensitive to cold?

sanndr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Nov 2008, 6:26 pm

I've been to Iceland in late October / early November a couple of years ago. Before we went there everyone was warning that it was going to be freaking cold and that the wind would cut right through you and that it'd be plain cold (some had been there before).

Everyone in the group there was walking around with sweaters, gloves, scarves, soft-hats and wintercoats; except the oddling who walked around in a longsleeve, shirt and a jersy. They kept asking the oddling if he wasn't cold, if he wanted to borrow the extra coat half of them seem to have brought, or if i wanted an additional sweater.

I was cold only one evening, and that was because I was wet from the rain :P

I can't stand summers when the temperature goes above 28 degrees Celcius. I kinda shut down.

darcelle
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Nov 2008, 6:30 pm

i defrosted my car wearing a t-shirt this morning, which must have been an odd sight. so yes i guess i am too :)

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 6:32 pm

I'm the other way round. love cold. hate heat.

warm is ok though.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 6:33 pm

Even if you are comfortable, aren't you susceptible to getting frostbite when the temperature dips below the freezing point of water?

My son, who is much more AS than myself, has body temperature issues. He's never known temperatures that cold, living in California, but he has a hard time with baths and showers, because he needs the water to be super hot so that the ambient air won't feel too cold, but then he gets all sick feeling because he's over heated. When he was little, he'd play outside without a jacket in winter, and people would come up to me and give me a lecture about how he's going to get sick. Of course, he never did.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 6:35 pm

I've never had frostbite. And I usually don't wear gloves.

Puppet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2008, 6:35 pm

I can be quite hyposensitive to cold (not really counting cold water), but that depends largely on my metabolism on the day.

RarePegs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2008, 6:39 pm

I seem to be relatively hyposensitive to cold and hypersensitive to heat but the humidity level is important here; I like dry cold but not damp cold. Actually, it's the same with heat - dry is better.

I wouldn't go to the extreme of defrosting the car in a t shirt, though - and I would wear a glove on the hand that is holding the aerosol

sanndr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Nov 2008, 6:43 pm

elderwanda wrote:
Even if you are comfortable, aren't you susceptible to getting frostbite when the temperature dips below the freezing point of water?

I can go longer without feeling cold, but it doesn't last forever, after a while I do start feeling it, just very late.
I wear gloves etc when it's freezing outside and i have to be out for longer than 15 minutes, but i have to check the weather report to remember doing it.

(Also, I hate wearing gloves. Hypersensitivity in hands.)

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

30 Nov 2008, 7:01 pm

Hypersensitive to cold; hyposensitive to heat, here.

macushla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Nov 2008, 7:15 pm

I've noticed that people with a lot of adipose tissue tend to be able to tolerate coldness than very skinny people because fat insulates.
The nerves that feel coldness might still be working just fine but they're sitting buried under too much insulation to register the coldness.

Taking that into consideration, how many skinny people here could say they are hypo-sensitive to cold?

sanndr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Nov 2008, 7:18 pm

macushla wrote:
I've noticed that people with a lot of adipose tissue tend to be able to tolerate coldness than very skinny people because fat insulates.
The nerves that feel coldness might still be working just fine. They're sitting buried under too much insulation to register the coldness.

Taking that into consideration, how many skinny people here could say they are hypo-sensitive to cold?

1.84m length, usually 76kg.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 7:19 pm

I've been fat, and skinny (about medium right now). I hate cold, it makes me miserable (of course, it's never dipped below 0 degrees F here), but I only get annoyed at high heat (say 100F, with 60% humidity...typical NC summer day)

Shivan
Raven
Raven

30 Nov 2008, 7:20 pm

I am also very comfortable in the cold and get heat sick when the temp gets to be 80F. Last year I was in Nebraska visiting family in October and it froze. We went shopping, me in my short sleeve shirt, and everyone else (family & public) were all wearing snow jackets, gloves & stuff.

Shadow50
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Nov 2008, 8:51 pm

Keeno wrote:
It is -5 degrees Celsius in Edinburgh right now. It will probably get even colder than that as the night goes on. I can quite easily and happily survive for long periods in conditions like this and could spend a lot of time outdoors like this quite happily, in a way that most people simply cannot. That's because of my hyposensitivity to cold (hypo meaning under, not hyper meaning over).

I'm the same ... comfortable for me is about 8 deg celsius. Get very uncomfortable in hot weather. But I always thought it was cultural, as I was born on an island in the Baltic.

Death_of_Pathos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2008, 8:52 pm

Keeno wrote:

I used to gladly play in the same temperature with sandals, short pants, and a t-shirt.