Page 4 of 22 [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 2:28 am

I have NLD (self-diagnosed). I don't have anything in common with Aspies, except that Aspies are as bad as NLDers at the non-verbal part of social interaction, so we have a topic of conversation in common where we're very much alike and can benefit from discussion about it. If there was a good forum for people with NLD on the internet, however, there wouldn't be a point for me to be here on WP.

What I mean to say is that I don't see any overlap or similarity or kinship between the 2 conditions. Having 1 trait in common with another condition doesn't make the 2 conditions similar or overlapping or the difference between them confusing. Especially in the case of NLD and AS, where another trait is actually opposite in both: (visual-spatial vs. verbal skills) which makes both populations develop in totally different directions regarding studies, occupation, and challenges.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 2:21 pm

Greentea wrote:
Probably Merle could help?

That's a good idea. I think I'll write up an alternate first post, and then ask for her help in changing it and removing the poll.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 2:38 pm

vivinator wrote:
oh im assuming most with nld would merit an eval. of course there are other factors such as school dist. and you are younger than me.

Well, my mom is actually a psychologist so she did some testing on me when I was a kid, so I guess I just meant I didn't have anything formally done before my dx rather than that I hadn't had any testing at all (I should have clarified). Like I said, I was in therapy for social anxiety though. My mom tested my IQ a few times when I was a kid, and my parents also got me this vocational evaluation when I was 19 which consisted of neuropsych-type testing, but wasn't meant for diagnosis- the purpose was to identify strengths which might point you towards a particular field. Even those these weren't formal "evaluations" for any diagnosis, you could clearly see the NLD pattern though- like in my IQ test scores, and also in the vocational examination where most nonverbal skills were in the 25th percentile or lower (most actually 15th percentile or lower), while my verbal scores were all in the 95th percentile and up.

I didn't have any formal interventions either when I was a kid, but my mom actually was really great at helping me with difficult concepts (like in geometry, telling time, etc.), the same way she did with my dyslexic brother (although he also had formal intervention in school). Despite the fact that she is a school psychologist (although she started out working with adults), she actually does not know that much about NLD (although she is learning more now). I believe she is an excellent psychologist, but that just illustrates that NLD is not well-known among most professionals. So although she recognized that I had problems with visual and spatial processing when I was growing up, she didn't think to put a label to it, although she told me a few years ago she thinks I have inattentive-type ADHD. She actually has become more aware of the NLD pattern when she is testing kids, and on a couple of occasions has asked me for advice or for some NLD resources she can look through, since she knows it is an interest of mine and I know a lot about it.

Although my visual/spatial processing issues were apparently pretty obvious to them from a young age, my mom and dad actually did not pick up on my social issues, even the problems with eye contact- but my brother did, which is interesting. He has referred to me as "borderline autistic," since I guess that is how I seem to him (he has known people with Asperger syndrome so he is familiar with that end of the spectrum). My brother is actually an excellent source of feedback, since he is the one who told me about making eye contact, he lets me know when I am rambling on about an obsession, and he also helps me choose appropriate clothing for different activities (like dressy versus casual). It's funny how he has been so perceptive when it comes to some aspects of NLD that my parents just never noticed.

Wow, that was rambling. Sorry it's so long!

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2008, 2:37 am

well I came back from my brain mapping appt. long story short there is a good chance I am AS.
according to the good doctor

-HL Mencken

-as of now official dx is ADHD (inattentive type) but said ADD (314.00) on the dx paper, PDD-NOS and was told looks like I have NLD

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 4:38 pm

I wish I could bet a diagnosis. I cannot afford one though. If only I won the lottery.

Taking a break.

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2008, 5:24 pm

zen_mistress wrote:
I wish I could bet a diagnosis. I cannot afford one though. If only I won the lottery.

at an aspie meetup I went to someone from Texas said one could get a free diagnosis from the school district. then someone else told me that wasn't the case in CA where I live. Check to see if a school district around you does it. not sure of the rest like if they dx nld but I'm guessing you could at least get a dx for individual problems.

-HL Mencken

-as of now official dx is ADHD (inattentive type) but said ADD (314.00) on the dx paper, PDD-NOS and was told looks like I have NLD

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 6:49 pm

I shd check the schools. I know I can get one from a psychiatrist at about 400- 600 dollars

but I am trying to move out of my parents so my money is earmarked for that hopeful eventuality.

Taking a break.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 7:22 pm

vivinator wrote:
well I came back from my brain mapping appt. long story short there is a good chance I am AS.

That's cool! Are you happy about it? Did they tell you anything else about the brain mapping? Is it expensive? What exactly is involved? It sounds interesting.

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Dec 2008, 1:37 am

zen_mistress wrote:
I shd check the schools. I know I can get one from a psychiatrist at about 400- 600 dollars

but I am trying to move out of my parents so my money is earmarked for that hopeful eventuality.

I don't think psychiatrists do neuropsychological evaluations which are needed to dx nld. it seems best to get a neuropsych or a psych trained in neuropsych (sometimes those are neuropsychs?)

but yeah moving out is pretty important.
check the schools .

I started a new thread on free/cheap dx's in general autism today.

-HL Mencken

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Dec 2008, 1:16 pm

just read a reply on the thread I started about free/cheap dx's.

apparently a dx is free in North Carolina.
for ASD at least im assumin

-HL Mencken

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Dec 2008, 5:36 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
vivinator wrote:

That's cool! Are you happy about it? Did they tell you anything else about the brain mapping? Is it expensive? What exactly is involved? It sounds interesting.

this is the place:

http://www.drakeinstitute.com/

well they put some gel on my head. a head covering and covered my head with electrodes. I had to close my eyes, look straight, and have my teeth not touch for 7 min.

Takes longer for some. ie younger kids, ADHD etc

lol costs $875 . per the price sheet if you pay for he Autism/Asperger's session upfront which includes 42 treatment sessions and the initial assessment it's $7645.

if you pay over 2 months it's 8065.

I spoke to the guy in charge of the program(Dr. David Velkoff). It was either 16 or 18 sessions initially he recommended.

You don't have to buy the package . you can get just the evaluation and I don't know if you can pay for sessions 1 by 1.

they also treat other things. check the webpage. ie depression, anxiety, add/adhd

there is a bunch of info on the webpage about the qeeg brainmap and everything else

I'm happy about it since it actually looks at what is happening instead of me evaluating myself on my own. They did give me the Gilliam Asperger's and Autism Disorder scale to fill out myself.

here's a link from another place the does this kind of stuff also in Orange Co; talks about this stuff as it relates to ASD patients:
http://www.mpccares.com/autism-neurofee ... atment.htm

the drake institute: what is brain mapping;

http://www.drakeinstitute.com/brain_mapping.asp

just search for the drake institute on wrong planet. there are some posts. and search for related : qeeg, brain map etc

the stuff he went over in the report shows pictures of the head from up top

just like in the drake institute's link about brain mapping , same as those multicolored head pics
he wrote some things by some of the head pictures like attention, visual perception (nonverbal), emotional expression

think he wrote down something else important too but can't read it.

in another section next to a head picture which was different than the above head pics wrote down awareness of self

well it costs a lot. I don't like the idea of someone else paying for it and me owing them even though in reality it's free. my sister would probably pay for it and I haven't been getting along with her well. I don't want to feel obligated to be nicer to her. obviously not guaranteed to work. the director told me you should be very committed . I'm not very committed. also I don't view myself as that impaired aka a pretty mild aspie. not sure how harmful it's been to my career. I can be a pretty quiet guy so the people skills dept isn't up to snuff. some things aspie related are impediments: coordination, i do things slow.
short term memory, maybe sensory problems. i really want some kind of dx that relates to coordination, doing things slow and a short term memory. these things are probably more problematic than the sensory stuff. can always get a job not hugely fast paced.

-HL Mencken

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 8:59 pm

Thanks for the information, vivinator. It's too bad it is just in California though (I'm on the East Coast). I've never even *been* to California. I might look to see if there is anything more local to me. I think the cost would be worth it, although I would have to save up for a while (for the evaluation- the treatment cost would be out of my league).

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2008, 2:01 am

LostInSpace wrote:
Thanks for the information, vivinator. It's too bad it is just in California though (I'm on the East Coast). I've never even *been* to California. I might look to see if there is anything more local to me. I think the cost would be worth it, although I would have to save up for a while (for the evaluation- the treatment cost would be out of my league).

well it's available in more places than CA. I did a google search and found someone in nyc that does it.

a place in florida that does it:
http://www.centerforbrain.com/index.html

a place in north jersey :
call them to see if they do brain mapping; neurofeedback is mentioned
http://www.counselingcoach.com/index.htm

a place in providence, ri: they do brain-mapping

http://www.neurodevelopmentcenter.com/index.php?id=31

international society for neurofeedback and research:

http://www.isnr.org/

can do a zip code search for a neurofeedback practitioner:
http://directory.eeginfo.com/default.asp

a place that does brain-mapping 10 min from nyc in paramus, nj
http://www.cnih.net/index.html

brain-mapping in manhattan, nyc

the brain resource ctr: http://www.brainfitness.com/index.html

neurofeedback in the chicago area plus the md suburbs of the dc area with two more locale's in the md suburbs of the dc area to come:
http://www.neurotherapycenters.com/default.htm

baltimore area:
http://yourbrainfitness.com/

austin, tx

http://www.brainwisetherapy.com/

autism svc provider search

http://www.autismlink.com/services/inde ... 141?page=8

neurofeedback on autism-help

http://www.autism-help.org/intervention ... edback.htm

articles from neurodiversity.com

http://www.neurodiversity.com/neurofeedback.html

-HL Mencken

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2008, 2:19 am

well besides my 4 person immediate family, my bro-in-law knows it, i bet my parents told some of my other relatives. perhaps one or two of my mom's friends. the only 4 friends I regularly keep in touch with. they r from college.

also google asperger's neurofeedback and your location
that's a good way to find providers
also the search links in the last post I provided

I'm not sure all the people that do this kind of stuff are reputable.

from the autism link i posted in the post b4

Criticisms and Recent Court Cases

In the United States, neurofeedback is being used as an addition to many psychotherapists practices as a boost to a sagging ‘talk-therapy’ practice. Since in most states there are no licensing requirements therapists who have little knowledge of physiology or computer technology can use the equipment with little oversight. The client can be hooked up and the computer program does the training with little effort on the therapist’s part. It adds a ‘high-tech’ affect to the session and makes the whole procedure seem more credible. In the Gravelle case in Huron, Ohio 11 adoptive children were given thousands of hours of neurofeedback training at a great cost to the county with seemingly little improvement in their conditions. The criticism is that neurotherapy was given to them for an array of different problems simply because the funds were so easily available

Some neurofeedback equipment companies make extraordinary claims based on the scientific appeal of electronics and the mysteries of the brain. For example, some brain training products are sold to consumers promising to raise IQ and self-esteem, or to enable zen meditative and deep hypnotic states. Furthermore, paranormal abilities such as remote viewing, past life regression, and other psychic phenomena are claimed by some marketers to commonly result from use of their neurofeedback machines or programs.

-HL Mencken

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 6:57 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
A sub-forum would be great, but an NLD sticky thread is less ambitious and probably more likely to happen.
I didn't vote. I would have voted for a sub-forum.

My daughter has an IEP and something they call "NLD," but I just figured it was a "we don't know what to call it, but she needs special attention." She is sociable and not an Aspie by anyone's standards. Now I want to look into it a little more.

As for stickie threads, I have no use for them at all.
If the topic of the thread is uninteresting to me, it's just annoying and in-the-way.
If it's a good topic, it gets up to five or more pages, which is intimidating.
Also, such a thread usually ends up being jumbled and/or spammy and useless.

I normally feel obligated to read every post before responding, and I wish everyone felt the same way. I don't like to read through the same comments over and over by people who haven't finished reading the thread.

I'm sorry, but this time I haven't read the whole thing. My computer died and my time here at WP is severely limited. But I will get to it asap.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2008, 9:17 am

I'm sorry you feel that way about stickies, Tahitiii. A sub-forum would have been my preference as well, but I didn't think that was likely to happen, and certainly not any time soon. This site doesn't have sub-forums for any other disorders similar to or related to AS, like HFA, ADHD, OCD, SAD, so there is no precedent- which means that arguing our case might prove to be difficult. Even if we could have convinced Alex to make an NLD sub-forum, it would probably be a somewhat time-consuming project that would be dependent on his schedule and priority in doing it. This NLD sticky is not only a quick way to create a small community for NLD here, but if we can demonstrate enough interest in NLD, maybe we can make a case for a sub-forum some time in the future.