Time Travel Fantasy... Do you believe in time travel???

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

McCann_Can_Triple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Dec 2008, 12:08 pm

IF it did become avaible/worked, it would f**k up our world as we know it. Paradox.

Say Jim bob wanted to go back in time to save his father from being run over by a drunk driver. If he managed to succeed there would be a whole multitude of changes. He doesn't just change one thing, he changes everything.

Thus his life would likely be altered. Thefore there is huge chance he would not have even used a time machine in his new life.

Therefore how would he get back to the present if in fact he never went near said time machine?

River: They say the snow on the roof is too heavy. They say the ceiling will cave in. His brains are in terrible danger. "

Hurley's mom "Jesus Christ is not a weapon."

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 12:11 pm

McCann_Can_Triple wrote:
IF it did become avaible/worked, it would f**k up our world as we know it. Paradox.

Say Jim bob wanted to go back in time to save his father from being run over by a drunk driver. If he managed to succeed there would be a whole multitude of changes. He doesn't just change one thing, he changes everything.

Thus his life would likely be altered. Thefore there is huge chance he would not have even used a time machine in his new life.

Therefore how would he get back to the present if in fact he never went near said time machine?

That's not how I believe in time travel, so to me a paradox wouldn't even be a thought. I don't believe we'll be able to go back and tamper with things. In my view, time travel is in a parallel universe. Kind of like the spirit world, for those who believe in that. We, the time travelers, can see the people and events in time, but can't interact with them. Kind of like watching a movie.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 12:16 pm

Another area of infinite interest=)
Time travel according to E=MCsquared is possible. You need to travel at the speed of light for it to happen, but your mass will increase by two if I am not mistaken. Suppose you travel around at the speed of light for a while in you space vehicle. When you come back here, in theory, much more time will have passed than for you in your vehicle traveling at the speed of light in outer space. Supposedly this is how you travel in time, man, but it's like, the future and not the past. You go forward, not backward. Supposedly backward is possible but I dunno how.

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 12:18 pm

If time travel were possible, wouldn't we already know about it?

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 12:21 pm

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
If time travel were possible, wouldn't we already know about it?

I've questioned this as well. But in my parallel universe idea, we wouldn't know because we wouldn't be able to interact with the time travelers.

I've also heard it said that you would only be able to travel back in time to the point at which time travel began. But I can't wrap my head around that concept, because wouldn't that mean that the first time traveler couldn't go anywhere? Or would he just be able to go forward?

Last edited by sbcmetroguy on 02 Dec 2008, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BastetsEye
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Dec 2008, 12:23 pm

I remember I went through a period when I was younger of believing that while a physical entity couldn't travel back in time, it might be possible to sent a thought back in time to a younger version of yourself, I'd love to exxplain my reasoning behind this, unfortunatly I forget, I just know at the time it seemed perfectly logical. Now to my knowledge it's not worked (however I am unsure that if it did work I would remember as I would have no memory of the then defunked future/History) but I also believed it would take a tremendous amount of will, (which I have) and focus (which I don't have) to meditate yourself to such an extent that you could reach your past self.

As regard to temperal paradoxs my theory has always been that hypothetical person travels to the past changes an event-say kills Hitler-changes his future, however while he stays in the past, His future has been changed because he can remember the original future, and he also has knowledge that he changed it. Should he return to the future he then becomes part of the time stream who would not need to go back to change the future, he would become part of the fixed event that is Hitler being dead (no reason to change the past to secure the future but can not sucure the same future by returning to the past, the memory of events is gone), thus undoing his work.

Cascadians
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Dec 2008, 12:27 pm

If it is time travel to see things ahead of time that will happen, then that has happened to me. It has happened to ppl I know. While not understanding the mechanics, I think the soul knows some things and broadcasts it to the "I" in the present as a heads-up. I saw things decades ago that came to pass. In the meantime I would remember and wonder what the visions meant. Also, I have had warnings from other persons about soon-to-happen events.

Have spent 35 years doing eldercare and a lot of hospice, end of life care, a lot of transitions over to the other side. Ppl who have passed over sometimes come to visit me and sometimes tell me something that upon investigation turns out to be true of a past or future event. I do not know exactly how all this would be classified but it has made me aware that time is not as "fixed" as it would appear.

I know that a human, with concentration and meditation and the grace of God, can develop his intuition to a far greater degree than most experience.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 12:56 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Another area of infinite interest=)
Time travel according to E=MCsquared is possible. You need to travel at the speed of light for it to happen, but your mass will increase by two if I am not mistaken.

If you travell at the speed of light, your mass will become infinite, and, after the travel, you will go infinite years to the future.

Crocodile
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Dec 2008, 1:02 pm

Maybe I don't explain clearly what I mean to say, it has to do with English is not my mother tongue.

It totally depends on what your view on the concept ''time'' is. Coincidentially I've been thinking the last weeks about it. I have some options:

1. Not possible, time is just the passing of the things, just happenings that follow to eachother. In this case, time is nothing. It's just the above mentioned passing of actions, happenings and thing. It's not a concept, it's entirely imagination. What has happened, can't ever be repeated or recalled, it can never be witnessed by anyone or anything again. What has passed, is passed. Lost is lost.

2. Possible, if time is a concept existing out of a sort of a imaginairy ''line'', on wich things happen. We have ''passed'' a part of this abstract ''line'', and yet there are things to come, and they are lying in front of us, yet to come. It's like the vertical line on the lower side of a YouTube video, across wich a little square thing moves. You already may have had/experienced some, though there is yet enough to come.
This hypothetical situation suggests there is in theory a possibility to travel through time. Though, if it is like described above, there is some ''force'' or ''God'' who sets it up. I don't think any technology would be able to do this travelling. Maybe it is able to do it, but then we won't know since we aren't staying on this planet long enough to see it happen.

I GRADUATED WITH THE HIGHEST GRADES OF MY YEAR!! !! !

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 1:27 pm

I stand corrected, our mass wouldn't increase by two. It would increase boundlessly at the speed of light and would be nearly impossible to accelerate because of this increase.
We would have to lose our mass somehow to travel at this speed, like beams of light or photons.
We would need to regain our mass once our velocity is decreased.
Is this possible?

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 1:38 pm

sbcmetroguy wrote:
I've also heard it said that you would only be able to travel back in time to the point at which time travel began. But I can't wrap my head around that concept, because wouldn't that mean that the first time traveler couldn't go anywhere? Or would he just be able to go forward?

By 'time travel began', what is really meant is the point at which the means of time travel has been achieved such that time travel is possible. So if someone constructed a device that facilitated time travel at time-1, the theory is stating that it would not be possible to use the device to travel to any time before time-1. The time travel device inventor could wait for 72 hours after they constructed the device and then travel back 72 hours, to time-1, or back 71 hours to one hour after time-1, but not to one minute, hour or day before time-1. They could equally wait 5 years then travel back to time-1, but they could never (according to the theory) travel to a time prior to the devices construction.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 1:52 pm

I see only three minor possibilites,

Time runs faster deeper in the gravity well, and slower farther out.

Time is a thin everchanging wall for most, but with work it can become thicker. We live in nanoseconds, we could live in longer intervals.

It seemes an instant to me, then when I worked in a darkroom, lots of quarter and half second operations, I seemed to take a larger bite of time. Later in martial arts I found I did have a different time sense.

When time is stretched, for me, the other person seems slow and easy to predict.

I get the same talking to NTs. We move in different time segments.

It is like the universe is filled with ideas, that have a time space size, and larger bites lead to another level of feeding on ideas. Feeding the body is only a step in our real purpose, becoming aware in the universe.

I also think we can go backward by thought, for we were there, the DNA time machine.

From my book, "she lived fully in the moment, so she controlled all moments."

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 2:01 pm

Here's something interesting...tachyon theory and negative speed. Faster than the speed of light and going backward.

http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/lights-m ... 10590.html

Here is a quote from that page:

"It's weird stuff," says Boyd. "We sent a pulse through an optical fiber, and before its peak even entered the fiber, it was exiting the other end. Through experiments we were able to see that the pulse inside the fiber was actually moving backward, linking the input and output pulses."

If light can go backwards, why can't you?

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 2:43 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I stand corrected, our mass wouldn't increase by two. It would increase boundlessly at the speed of light and would be nearly impossible to accelerate because of this increase.
We would have to lose our mass somehow to travel at this speed, like beams of light or photons.
We would need to regain our mass once our velocity is decreased.
Is this possible?

You don't need to travel at the speed of light to travel to the future. You only need to travel at a very high speed (but lower than the light speed).

I think the formula is these:

t2 = t1 /sqr[1-(v/c)^2]

v - your speed
c - the speed of light
t1 - the time for you
t2 - the "external" time

Then, if you want to go 100 years from the future in only one week of travel, you only have to travel at a litle less than 99,99999982% of the speed of light. No big problem.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 2:51 pm

Heh, thanks, TPE2. In that case going into the future should be much easier to accomplish. The mass increase will not be an issue.
Going back in time must be more difficult, considering we do not know of anyone from the future returning here. Maybe they have returned and are hiding amongst us now, keeping their identity a secret. Maybe we are them and have had our memories erased and top secret microscopic chips implanted somewhere inside us relaying information into the future unbeknownst to us.

skywatcher
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Dec 2008, 3:00 pm

Quote:
Then, if you want to go 100 years from the future in only one week of travel, you only have to travel at a litle less than 99,99999982% of the speed of light. No big problem.

Wouldn't the mass increase by a HUGE amount in such a case?

Anyway, there are probably other ways of traveling through time than simple relativity. Keep in mind that relativity is not a recent theory, and that it covers gravitational force alone, with the exception of how electomagnetism and gravity interact. However, there are four fundamental forces, and because of this it is unwise to search for solutions to time travel using a theory that only uses one or two.

That and the fact that many of the fundamental properties of matter cannot be described by relativity. To truly describe time, a unified theory would be needed, perhaps the Strong-Weak-EM unification would work, I don't know.

Probably some form of String theory is what would be needed to work this out.

Anyway, it is also possible that another theory in its entirety is needed to describe time. Time currently is used to describe events, but what are events? The fundamental properties of time itself have never been addressed.

Skywatcher