what can i do about my ocd? i've been on meds

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

jus4u76
Raven
Raven

03 Dec 2008, 1:28 pm

meds since august 29th although i've missed pills in total of about 2 weeks. this was intentional because i didn't want to get tired, so i took it right b4 i went 2 sleep, but i wanted to just lie down, but i would fall asleep. i had to get up to do school work and i can't be tired.

ocd is the worst thing you can experience in this world. nothing else is worse than this. it's like i lose the beat when im studying because of this.

Last edited by jus4u76 on 03 Dec 2008, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 1:30 pm

In the short run, nothing. In the long run, CBT with a decently respectful therapist. Meds won't do it all by themselves.

You do need to get a full night's sleep. Deliberately keeping yourself awake makes everything worse, and is very unwise. I have found it is better to study four hours and sleep eight than to study twelve hours.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

jus4u76
Raven
Raven

03 Dec 2008, 1:33 pm

Callista wrote:
In the short run, nothing. In the long run, CBT with a decently respectful therapist. Meds won't do it all by themselves.

You do need to get a full night's sleep. Deliberately keeping yourself awake makes everything worse, and is very unwise. I have found it is better to study four hours and sleep eight than to study twelve hours.

i didn't know it, but my psychiatrist told me that i was getting cbt. i mean what kind of cbt is that????????????? i asked him if i can pursue this and he said this was my cbt.

i needed to do work. i already failed 4 midterms and i didn't write 2 midterms.

Last edited by jus4u76 on 03 Dec 2008, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 1:36 pm

I've gotta say, jus4u76, that from reading your posts, I think there is something other than OCD going on here. OCD is a given from the obsessive nature of your posts. But there seems to be other mental issues. I'm no doctor.. but you don't seem to think or speak normally. And that's alot coming from someone on this forum lol.

Sorry that I can't be of more help :( but just making an observation.

jus4u76
Raven
Raven

03 Dec 2008, 1:38 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
I've gotta say, jus4u76, that from reading your posts, I think there is something other than OCD going on here. OCD is a given from the obsessive nature of your posts. But there seems to be other mental issues. I'm no doctor.. but you don't seem to think or speak normally. And that's alot coming from someone on this forum lol.

Sorry that I can't be of more help :( but just making an observation.

i have tranchillomania, dermatillomania, (possibly, oppositional defiant disorder, attention deficiency disorder, alexithymia, social anxiety, body dysmorphic disorder), asperger's syndrome , seriously deadly extremely severe obsessive compulsive disorder, depression, anxiety

i wonder why i don't have schizophrenia, dissociative identity disorder and bipolar in that list.

what do you mean i don't speak normally. people can't understand me sometimes and someone said i have atypical use of language.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 1:48 pm

I'm not sure how to explain it.. its like you kind of jump around alot.. seems like there is alot more going on in your head than in type and seems like you kind of just expect people to understand. Like you don't give enough background information but expect people to get it anyway. I think this can be an AS thing, I remember reading somewhere. I do it sometimes too. But seems to me like yours is a bit worse. Sometimes you don't even use complete sentances.

Sorry, don't mean to sound insulting. Again, just making observations.

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 1:48 pm

You flip flop back and forth between verb tenses, and seem to group together unrelated phrases into the same sentence. It's super confusing.

Using capitalization and shorter more coherent sentences would be a nice start.

Not trying to nit pick here but I would guess a LOT of people see your posts, think to themselves "How the heck am I supposed to make sense of this" and don't even bother reading to the end.

pizzaman31195
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Dec 2008, 1:55 pm

even if it is about the 10th post about that, i will still try to make you understand something, first of all we are not doctors here, and you seem to disregard everything people tell you.

but none the less, i feel for you, i have real bad OCD myself so i can understand.

you say you have been taking pills on and off since the 29th of August, but if you dont take them everyday they dont have any effect or if you drink it wont work, i assume you are getting celexa (you said so in one of your post i believe), well for me it wasnt strong enough, now i have effexor and it is working much better. you also have to realize you have a 2 week to get used to the meds, then the Doc will raise it until you reach a working dose, if your Doc did it like mine did you would be at around 60mg, am i right ? so you didnt even reach a working dosage yet, and since you dont take it all the time it doesnt have any effect.

As for CBT it takes time, but it is good, and you will probably have to continue it for the rest of your life, either on your own or supervised by a Psychologist/Psychiatrist

and last but not least, even if people on this forum dont all agree, asperger and OCD go hand in hand, it differs in intensity, but everybody with asperger has a little bit at least, what i do to combat it, is i either find a solution. IE: if i have to go back 20 times to check the door see if it is locked (i really do it) i dont lock it, problem fixed, i know for a fact that it is unlocked. if it is one of those that you get stuck in, use it to your advantage, go to your special interest and focus on that, you should be able to break the loop, it works for me

and most of all, talk to your doctor about those issues, you seem to have a lot, and even if people here want to help they might give you wrong advice, and that includes me, since we dont have all the facts.

i hope that helps, and good luck with your exams

pizzaman31195
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Dec 2008, 2:15 pm

jus4u76 wrote:
i have tranchillomania, dermatillomania, (possibly, oppositional defiant disorder, attention deficiency disorder, alexithymia, social anxiety, body dysmorphic disorder), asperger's syndrome , seriously deadly extremely severe obsessive compulsive disorder, depression, anxiety

i wonder why i don't have schizophrenia, dissociative identity disorder and bipolar in that list.

what do you mean i don't speak normally. people can't understand me sometimes and someone said i have atypical use of language.

that is very nice of you to describe in detail what is included in Asperger syndrome, but all those afflictions, if you do some research, are part of asperger syndrome, you dont nececesarly have all of them, but some aspie do.

as for the schizophrenia if you look up in the DSM IV under asperger syndrome you will realize that you cannot have both it is one or the other, if you are schizo, you cant have asperger.

here is some info for you, the actual definition from the DSM IV for asperger:

299.80 Asperger's Disorder

(A)
Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:

marked impairment in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body postures, and gestures to regulate social interaction
failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people(e.g., by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
lack of social or emotional reciprocity.

(B)
Restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests, and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:

encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
apparently inflexible adherence to specific, non-functional routines or rituals
stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g., hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

(C)
The disturbance causes clinically significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

(D)
There is no clinically significant general delay in language (e.g., single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years)

(E)
There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self-help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction), and curiosity about the environment in childhood.

(F)
Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia.

and a link for an more detailled description for asperger:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger%E ... s_Disorder

hopefully it will help you

have a good day