Is difficulty in getting to sleep Aspie ?

Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 12:59 pm

i cant get sleep before 2-4am :( also i have hard time waking up been trying everything

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 1:10 pm

I don't think I suffer from lack of ability to sleep any worse than anyone else. But for me the worst times falling asleep are when I think about it and really try to. Then my brain goes into overdrive and it just gets reallyhard to fall asleep until exhaustion overcomes me.

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 3:11 pm

I have problems getting off to sleep aswell, due to racing thoughts and finding it hard to relax. Though once I'm asleep, I sleep deeply and find it incredibly had to get out of bed. :lol:

SeizeTheDay
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 3:21 pm

I go to bed early, usually, but I have a hard time actually falling asleep and staying asleep. But lately, I have had extremely bad insomnia, and I won't go to bed until it is extremely late even when I take a sleeping aid and I will even keep waking up at night, which isn't good when you have to get up at six in the morning for school, and you have epilepsy and lack of sleep provokes seizures. 8O

"The person who knows everything has a lot to learn."

"Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" (I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am) René Descartes

SMARTIE
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Dec 2008, 5:48 pm

I had many issues as a child with not being able to sleep, and never being tired at all.
I could never switch my brain off - it just keep running and running.
I was always late to bed and early to rise.
I still am like that now, I very rarely go to bed before midnight but am up for work by 6am.
I think its an aspie and general autistic trait.

vulcanpastor
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2008, 12:18 am

It has always been hard for me to get to sleep. It was worse before I started taking antidepressants a few years back.

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2008, 4:47 am

I've had sleep problems for years. I can't stop thinking. A lot of the times my legs need to be moving a bit too, so I have trouble sitting still while sleeping. I've recently developed teeth clenching, for some reason (not good at all, so now I have to focus on not doing it).

One thing that can be quite common for me is games will play out in my head. Usually not completely structured, but the basics of that game will be done. After I started playing DDR, I'd have arrows scrolling through my head while trying to sleep. One game, a capture the flag style game, I'd have the basics of that play out as well.

I had gone through a phase at one point of having these kinds of awkward conversations in my head. I'd be thinking about something, and then suddenly I'd involuntarily ask myself an important question about the subject of thought, and before I could even consider an answer, I'd forget what the question was, and sometimes forget the entire subject I was thinking about.

One of my newest things while trying to get to sleep now is I'll hear in a very very clear voice, as if it was in the room, my mother saying my name, and then I'll lose all progress I'd have in getting to sleep.

Trying to get to sleep sucks, and it can take me a long time sometimes.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 5:01 am

I wouldn't say so. I used to have some signs of insomnia as a child, but in the past few years as long as you keep me away from the computer I take up a very normal sleeping pattern very quickly.

FePixie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2008, 6:06 am

Yes - unless i go through my little routine i stare at the roof for hours getting grumpy at myself for not sleeping and shouting at my brain to shut up :(

otherwise i stay up till my brain starts 2 shut down - 2-4am - then go to bed and read till my eyes start closing...

then so long as i'm home i sleep like a rock

And yes - waking up is a struggle too - i always feel ripped off - like i've been snatched back from somewhere in cosy land - and it takes me a good hour or 2 to wake up in the late morning...

dont call me b4 lunchtime :wink:

AdventurerGR
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Dec 2008, 1:58 pm

Weirdly enough my sleep tendencies vary greatly from time to time. For months I'd lie down and sleep in a matter of minutes, other times (again for months) I'll have to lie down for at least an hour before sleep gets me. I tried to find a reason for the change but not one adds up.

Waking up is another matter though. If I wake up after ~5 hours then I can't get back to sleep, eventhough I yawn and feel tired.

alba
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 5:45 pm

i've had a lot of trouble with insomnia, especially when i'm worried about something or my body hurts. the only time i have trouble waking up is when i just got to sleep a half hour before i need to get up--that happens a lot.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 10:24 pm

Unknown_Quantity wrote:
Early to bed and early to rise makes you... Well, probably an NT.

I can't get to sleep and when it's time to wake up I can't wake up, takes me hours to do both. Not good for employment prospects.

I hear you, but I have had to force myself to be an early riser.. and I am still not used to it.

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 11:08 pm

I have problems getting my mind to shut down too.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 11:12 pm

j0sh wrote:
I have problems getting my mind to shut down too.

Ugh, I hate that. I even read to get rid of my thoughts but when I put the book down I was thinking for hours.

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 3:45 am

It is something that aspies contend with more than other people. Last week I went to bed early so as to make sure I had the 8 recommended hours of sleep. It totally backfired on me and I lay awake the entire night. I had to reschedule an appointment the next day because I was too tired to drive safely to it.

Tails
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2008, 4:02 am

I absolutely CANNOT sleep unless I am drop-dead tired. I need to be at a physical point where I am literally too tired to stay awake before I'm able to shut down. My hours are also exceptionally screwed up... most nights I won't sleep until 3 or 4am (last night was 6am), then I'll sleep until 4.30pm in the afternoon :?