Is eating the same things over and over an Aspie thing?

Page 3 of 8 [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 1:24 pm

A nondivergent diet topic

I find food that I like at a reasonable price, and will stick to it. I am not adventurous.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 3:27 pm

marshall wrote:
At any given restaurant I tend to order my favorite dish every time. I have one or two favorite dishes for every type of ethnic food. It's always trial and error finding something I like so I tend to stick to one or two things once I discover them. It's upsetting to order something you don’t like at all and end up leaving hungry because of it. Trying new things all the time just isn't worth that risk when I already know what I like. With my own cooking it's even worse. Probably only a 1 in 10 chance I'll actually like something new I try to cook. With those odds I don't even bother.

This is just how I am too. I even go to the same restaurants, on the same days of the week. For instance, every Monday I go to the same Japanese restaurant near my work, sit at the same table (if available), and order the same sushi plate. The waitresses laugh now when they see me, and they already know what I want. I think they have a running joke about me.

Funny that it was mentioned about using the same cups or silverware! I never realized that it was an Aspie thing before, but I have my same "morning" tea cup, and then there´s my "evening" tea cup. It´s consistent, but I think it happened quite subconsciously. I have my same weekday breakfast, then there´s my special Saturday breakfast, then my other special Sunday breakfast...(yikes, I just got a vision of Dustin Hoffman in "Rainman"...) Well, I´m not that bad.

I eat half an avocado per day, and fresh tomatoes, just because I like them. And every dinner NEEDS to be accompanied with some dry, hearty red wine...a must!...otherwise I feel cheated!! !

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2008, 3:40 pm

I do this. Might just be bachellor syndrome, being too lazy to experiment/devise new things, and/or might reflect my lack of spontaneity, routines, etc. I have a plan what days I go shopping and what meals I eat what days. I'm a pretty healthy, balanced eater, and like to save money as often as I can, and only walk now so I be careful so that my arms aren't dead when I get home in terms of how much I get.

Factoring all this in, against the stress, time, cost and sometimes wasted effort of devising new meals, I tend to stay complacent. :wink:

Teten
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Dec 2008, 5:27 pm

When my parents and I go out to eat, I always get the same thing and they always ask why. So I give them the same answer. I like what I have gotten before so there is no reason to risk getting something that is potentially not tasty in favor of what I already know I like.

Maddkow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Dec 2008, 8:25 pm

Baklava, Mac and Cheese (Velveeta), Chocolate Soy Milk, Honey Comb cereal, poptarts, pizza, and PRINGLES!! !!
Life would be pointless without.

VMSnith
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Dec 2008, 1:15 am

Yes. The same foods, in the same combinations sometimes, or presented in the same way, same time of day, etc.

Which is to say, the NT's eat any old random crap :-b

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 1:21 am

VMSnith wrote:
Which is to say, the NT's eat any old random crap :-b

Yep, they don't care when breakfast, lunch or dinner is. Ach, someone gave me dinner at 5pm and not 6 - i ate in silence and didn't enjoy it one bit. It was also what I didn't plan on eating - another reason to feel uncomfortable.
In the city my ex and his friends ate around 7 or 8 - not 6, so i once again was uncomfortable.
Once my sister got up at 11am and had pizza for breakfast - wha? I felt very confused.

I tell people that I eat at a certain time, but they think it really is no big deal. Usually I will be making dinner now but I've already eaten. What am I supposed to do?

Shadow50
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Dec 2008, 1:34 am

I eat and enjoy a whole range of foods. I like to cook and experiment. But also have a few routines.

While still living at home and attendiing high school I had pancakes for breakfast every morning for about 8 years straight. Never got bored with them.

Eating out, I usually have the same thing each time, like some of the previous posters.

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 1:49 am

i'm a food experimenter. i do get caught food ruts, though. i can salad for a month and not care. at restaurants, i try to eat things that i've never had before. it makes all the more exciting. if nothing seems interesting then i'll eat either chicken parmesean or something i'm familiar with.

my familiar is a wierd word. fa mil yer. definitely not as wierd as jazz...jazz. or enough. what is that man?! enug. enowg...wierd.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 1:52 am

i eat a wide varity of food so no

Crocodile
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2008, 8:26 am

My breakfast and lunch are the same now for years. Didn't change a bit. I must be careful I don't get addicted to cookies or chips, that's very unhealthy and makes me fat.

I GRADUATED WITH THE HIGHEST GRADES OF MY YEAR!! !! !

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 2:17 pm

Chimchar wrote:
I love pizza rolls, and I buy them every week. And as long as I have pizza rolls, cookies, and candy bars, that's all I'm going to eat. I can't help it, I love them. I also notice myself drinking coffee from the same mug, eating cereal from the same bowl. What gives?

Is this an aspie thing?

When I go to a restaurant, I tend to order the same thing. While I don't have to eat the same thing everyday, every meal, I don't have much for variance unless that is the purpose for the meal/experience.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

ericksonlk
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Dec 2008, 3:49 pm

At restaurant I have a hard time to make a choice... there are always a lot of good things and nothing that I want most. When I find something I stick to it everytime I come back to the same restaurant.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 3:59 pm

I think my life would be a LOT easier if I didn't have to spend so much energy trying to plan meals. And this is from one person, living alone, not somebody with a family to feed--I don't think I could even DO that, not without a lot of practice.

I wonder if repetitive sorts of diets are a compensation for bad executive function; because it seems like that would be a solution. Somebody who spends a lot more energy than me on meals might, to ensure he ate at all, take the simple step of always eating the same things.

Hmm... I bet meal-planning services would help a lot more autistics live a lot more independently... I wonder if anybody offers that? Seems like there isn't much available, in between doing it all yourself and having it cooked for you.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

sillyputty
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 4:00 pm

I always eat and drink the same thing at breakfast. I got perturbed when the mug I used to use cracked :( , and had to start using another one.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 4:03 pm

I have a very limited range of what I'll eat, and am extremely picky about certain things, like the ripeness and texture of fresh fruit. (I live in California, but every piece of fruit that's available in the stores has been kicked all the way from New Zealand or Chile.)

Then again, I won't have a meltdown if something isn't quite right.

I'd eat a more varied diet if I had my own personal chef. I tend to mess up any meal that's more complicated than a bowl of oatmeal, and most of it goes to waste...and then needs to be cleaned up. Life is hard enough without all that.