Tilting your head to the side without noticing?

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 10:59 am

Does anyone else do that? I do but I hardly ever notice I'm doing it!

Samara
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2008, 11:02 am

My friend said the other day i do that when i am perving on some one.

lexis
Toucan
Toucan

05 Dec 2008, 11:12 am

Lately I've been prone to doing it when I'm trying to filter out people's voices from background noises. I've seen childhood photographs of me head-tilting quite a lot- so maybe I've only just began to notice. I do have very old memories of me as a toddler walking with my head to one side- and a couple of relatives on the spectrum did/do the same.

Coincidence? It would be interesting to hear of other people's motivations for doing this- if at all.

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 11:14 am

Yeah, I’ve noticed that I do this. I think I do it more when I am in a relaxed environment. I usually notice this when I’m surfing the net or listening to music at home. I don’t think I do it quite as much when I’m at work.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 11:15 am

When I walk, I tend to tilt my head to the right and down. To point out a piece of fiction, you can see "Rain Man" do it when he walks in the movie.

It's neurological sign, the same with curling one's hand up.

Samara
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2008, 11:17 am

When i see or hear of something sad i tilt my head to the side and go orhh!

SMARTIE
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Dec 2008, 11:20 am

Yes I seem to do this when I am thinking hard and I also chew on a finger whilst tilting :roll:

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 11:25 am

lexis wrote:
Lately I've been prone to doing it when I'm trying to filter out people's voices from background noises. I've seen childhood photographs of me head-tilting quite a lot- so maybe I've only just began to notice. I do have very old memories of me as a toddler walking with my head to one side- and a couple of relatives on the spectrum did/do the same.

Coincidence? It would be interesting to hear of other people's motivations for doing this- if at all.

This is what I do...I will aim my ear at the person speaking to me..otherwise I might not understand what they are saying...and it seems to also be a sort of sensory integration thingy with me...and there is a bit of it also rooted in my avoidance of eye contact.

Instead of a face to face conversation with me, you will get a conversation with the side of my head.

Exile
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Dec 2008, 11:30 am

I do it when someone says something to me that is unexpected.

When it happens, it always seems like that dog in the RCA Victor logo, sitting in front of the old-time gramophone, tilting its head.

It's as if its dog-saying, "wtf?"

pizzaman31195
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2008, 11:40 am

isnt that normal ?????

i always do that, i mean ALL the time ...

hmmmm

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 11:51 am

Tilt a tete topic

I thought this was a stim. But I have CAPD so I need to try to tune in by turning my antenna!!

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

lexis
Toucan
Toucan

05 Dec 2008, 11:53 am

Sensory integration- that makes sense. I tend to talk facing away from people or if I must face them for at least some of the time, I've been known to spin around while talking to avoid eye-contact.

As for it being normal- well I suppose we best ask some nts. xD

I know I'm almost paranoid regarding every single quirk- does everybody do this behind closed doors or is it a trait of ASD?-

Or am I just strange? :wink:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 12:10 pm

I tilt my head to the side, quite a bit. I have my head tilted in half of the pictures that were taken of me, over the years.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 12:22 pm

Of course, it depends on the reason for doing it.

In my case, it's definitely neurological of origin when I tilt my head to the side and curl my hands up when I walk, and this comes under the heading of odd postures in ASDs. I have no reason for doing this other than that's how my body moves; I've noted that it's more pronounced the more "autistic" I am.

Many people with autism, me included, look at people side-on [when we do look at those who're in close proximity to us], and also stand side-on to them; I do this because it's far more comfortable than facing them. They say this is due to visual processing problems.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 12:24 pm

I tilt my head a lot. There's a sorta AS character on one of the Law & Order series who does it as well, so my family references that when they see me do it.

caramateo
Toucan
Toucan

05 Dec 2008, 12:36 pm

yes, I do it but then I notice it and move it back to its place.