Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 7:33 am

Lately I've been feeling increasingly stupid which scares me. I'm most likely depressed and I feel like my cognitive functioning is impaired. Lately I've been feeling like my brain is "foggy". Like my brain is filled with thick fog or that my brain is blocked in some way. I feel like it's difficult to "take in" information and remember it. I find that it, for some reason, is difficult to think. It feels like I'm slower than usual (mentally) and like my mind goes blank more often than it used to. It's very difficult to explain but it just feels like my IQ has dropped significantly which freaks me out.

I'm guessing this has to do with being depressed? Will it go away (the whole brain fog thing)? Will I get back to my "normal self" when the depression is treated properly? Have you felt like this as well? Most importantly (all of the other questions are important though), what did you do to get things back to normal?

Last edited by rebbieh on 28 Oct 2012, 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

AProudHillbilly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Oct 2012, 7:39 am

Have you thought maybe that you might have a vitamin deficiency? I know when my b12 levels are low, I get really "foggy" and things don't process as well.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 7:40 am

AProudHillbilly wrote:
Have you thought maybe that you might have a vitamin deficiency? I know when my b12 levels are low, I get really "foggy" and things don't process as well.

No vitamin deficiency that I know of. My GP did a lot of tests a month ago and she said all seemed fine (apart from my mental well-being that is).

kotshka
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 7:41 am

Depression can cause that. Even more so, anxiety. Do you know what derealization is? You might be experiencing some of this. (I get it regularly when I'm stressed or depressed.) It's almost always caused by simple stress and anxiety - but it causes more stress and anxiety so it gets worse and worse until the original cause is treated.

Get some treatment for your depression and related issues. That should be your first priority. Most likely, as you start to feel better, the fog will go away too. Try not to worry. Things like this are not permanent. Almost certainly just your brain reacting to a bad situation by trying to "escape." You'll be okay.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 7:44 am

kotshka wrote:
Depression can cause that. Even more so, anxiety. Do you know what derealization is? You might be experiencing some of this. (I get it regularly when I'm stressed or depressed.) It's almost always caused by simple stress and anxiety - but it causes more stress and anxiety so it gets worse and worse until the original cause is treated.

Get some treatment for your depression and related issues. That should be your first priority. Most likely, as you start to feel better, the fog will go away too. Try not to worry. Things like this are not permanent. Almost certainly just your brain reacting to a bad situation by trying to "escape." You'll be okay.

Derealisation? Is it like depersonalisation? What is it? I don't have time to google it right now (will later this afternoon though).

Okay, so I'll be okay? It's only temporary?

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 7:55 am

get a cat

Last edited by Surfman on 28 Oct 2012, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kotshka
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 8:06 am

The most likely cause is not something scary or even physical. Especially if you're suffering from depression, by far the most likely cause is simple anxiety. In which case, yes, you will absolutely get better. Even on the off chance that it's being caused by something physical, it is almost certainly nothing serious and can be fixed. Don't panic.

When I get derealization everything feels far away, like a dream. Depersonalizaton is detachment from yourself, but derealization is detachment from the world. Does this sound familiar?

Quote:
The detachment of derealization can be described as an immaterial substance that separates a person from the outside world, such as a sensory fog, pane of glass, or veil. Individuals may complain that what they see lacks vividness and emotional coloring. Emotional response to visual recognition of loved ones may be significantly reduced. Feelings of déjà vu or jamais vu are common. Familiar places may look alien, bizarre, and surreal. ... [T]he more familiar a place normally seems, the more unfamiliar it seems when a person is experiencing derealization.

Frequently, derealization occurs in the context of constant worrying or 'intrusive thoughts' that one finds hard to switch off. In such cases it can build unnoticed along with the underlying anxiety attached to these disturbing thoughts ... Those who experience this phenomenon may feel concern over the cause of their derealization. It is often difficult to accept that such a disturbing symptom is simply a result of anxiety, and the individual may often think that the cause must be something more serious. This can, in turn, cause more anxiety and worsen the derealization. Derealization also affects the learning process. Because the individual almost sees the events in as if in 3rd person, they cannot properly process information.

The worst thing you can do is start to stress over it. It will only make it worse. Try to stay calm, know that it will get better, and give yourself a break as much as possible.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 8:16 am

In the last time I feel the same. I'm afraid it has to do with all the fast foods that I've been eating all my life.
But I know that depression could have the same effect. My dad usually complains of this and he has severe depression.

It is true that some food additives could lower your Iq?

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 11:10 am

kotshka wrote:
The most likely cause is not something scary or even physical. Especially if you're suffering from depression, by far the most likely cause is simple anxiety. In which case, yes, you will absolutely get better. Even on the off chance that it's being caused by something physical, it is almost certainly nothing serious and can be fixed. Don't panic.

When I get derealization everything feels far away, like a dream. Depersonalizaton is detachment from yourself, but derealization is detachment from the world. Does this sound familiar?

Quote:
The detachment of derealization can be described as an immaterial substance that separates a person from the outside world, such as a sensory fog, pane of glass, or veil. Individuals may complain that what they see lacks vividness and emotional coloring. Emotional response to visual recognition of loved ones may be significantly reduced. Feelings of déjà vu or jamais vu are common. Familiar places may look alien, bizarre, and surreal. ... [T]he more familiar a place normally seems, the more unfamiliar it seems when a person is experiencing derealization.

Frequently, derealization occurs in the context of constant worrying or 'intrusive thoughts' that one finds hard to switch off. In such cases it can build unnoticed along with the underlying anxiety attached to these disturbing thoughts ... Those who experience this phenomenon may feel concern over the cause of their derealization. It is often difficult to accept that such a disturbing symptom is simply a result of anxiety, and the individual may often think that the cause must be something more serious. This can, in turn, cause more anxiety and worsen the derealization. Derealization also affects the learning process. Because the individual almost sees the events in as if in 3rd person, they cannot properly process information.

The worst thing you can do is start to stress over it. It will only make it worse. Try to stay calm, know that it will get better, and give yourself a break as much as possible.

So I will get back to my normal, less "stupid", self?

About the text about derealisation. I'm not sure I feel like whatever this is separates me from the outside world. I feel more like there's something blocking my brain. You know what it's like when you have an ear inflammation? When pressure builds up behind the eardrum and your ear feels blocked. That's what my head feels like. Only it's not painful or anything. Back to the text. What do they even mean by "emotional colouring"? Places don't feel alien to me. I do have intrusive thoughts though (mostly general or specific anxiety and self-doubt). A lot. Feeling anxious and/or depressed all the time. Anyway, this whole thing freaks me out. A few hours ago I suddenly sprung out of my chair, paced a little bit while saying "get out of my head" a few times.

I've got a question about depersonalisation. I was thinking about it yesterday and now that you brought this up I thought I'd ask. Sometimes (not often and when it happens I'm often very tired) I feel as though my body isn't my body. For example; I might sit here at my computer with my hands on the keyboard and all of a sudden I feel as though my hands/arms aren't mine. I know they're mine but as long as I don't move them it feels like they don't belong to me. I get the same feeling sometimes when I'm walking. It's like I'm not the one walking. Those moments don't last long at all and they don't happen that often but is that depersonalisation?

AnotherKind wrote:
In the last time I feel the same. I'm afraid it has to do with all the fast foods that I've been eating all my life.
But I know that depression could have the same effect. My dad usually complains of this and he has severe depression.

That made me anxious. I don't eat that healthily and that's because of the depression. I know some people who are depressed tend to lose their apetite. I, on the other hand, tend to eat sweets and stuff when I feel depressed.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 11:45 am

AnotherKind wrote:

Probably not, but if you're sensitive/allergic to food additives, eating them might affect how well you perform on any sort of cognitive testing.

kotshka
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 11:47 am

Whether it's technically derealization or not, it sounds like you're feeling a lot of anxiety, which is the most likely reason for feeling this way. When I get derealization I don't get everything on that list either. It just feels like I'm in a dream, even though I know I must be awake. I keep forgetting that everything happening around me is real, which can be problematic as my job involves being responsible for a lot of children. I also get this feeling of pressure and fog like you describe, like a sinus infection or something. Like I'm miles away and I can't focus on the world, or like I'm about to fall asleep. It probably also has to do with overstimulation from being autistic as well. Like a mild meltdown.

I also get these strange body feelings you describe, like it's not my body until I move it (and until I do I'm not sure if I can). This is also anxiety-related. Might be considered depersonalization, but the name you give it is less important than what causes it and how to treat it. In all these cases, the solution is to reduce your anxiety.

I saw a neurologist a couple of years ago because it was so bad I was convinced there must be something wrong with my brain. He laughed and said he'd heard this many times, and almost certainly it was just anxiety. He gave me some anti-anxiety medication (something like Valium) and a note for my boss that I shouldn't work for a week. He told me to just rest, relax, and not think about work or my other problems for at least a few days. I didn't believe him but he said if I wasn't better in two weeks, I could go back and he'd scan my brain to check for more serious problems. Within two days I was amazed to discover that I was feeling better and back to normal.

Yes, you will be fine. Don't worry so much about whether you are sick or whether it's permanent. Sure, if you eat better it will probably help. Much on some carrot sticks instead of potato chips and you might find it helps your depression, really. There's plenty of natural foods that will satisfy your craving for sweets, especially fruits. Try it. But more important is to stop worrying, relax, and find a way to treat your depression and anxiety.

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 12:05 pm

This happens to me every time my blood pressure is too low, then I have that foggy brain and also feel dizzy and shaky.

There are other reasons for it as well and generally speaking there's no way to say it's either depression or your liver works poorly because the physical, emotional, and spiritual level are mutually dependent of each other.

You could try omega 3 fatty acids and vitamin B complex plus one hour of brisk walking each day. It should show a significant effect within three weeks. If not, you might want to schedule an appointment with a natural healer because GPs usually won't check minerals and an imbalance can also cause those symptoms.

AliceInAspieland
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Oct 2012, 9:20 pm

As far as I know it's either...
-Depression
-Vitamin deficiency
-Stress/Sensory Overload
-Past traumas

This happens to me all the time. I find just taking a moment to relax somewhere peaceful helps. If it gets bad enough that it causes me more problems than normal, I have a nap. It's like rebooting a computer or wiping the slate clean, I get up and my mind is clearer. Also daydreaming or going to my "happy place" helps.

If it's depression you'll have some of the other symptoms. In that case I suggest talking to you GP and talking to someone you trust or who supports you. Perhaps just talking about the things that are upsetting you and finding a way to solve them, might make you feel proactive and thus better. It's also been helpful to me.

Vitamin deficiency - well make sure you're eating healthy and if you think your diet is lacking, invest in some multi-vitamins.

Past trauma - this is I think unlikely but still go to think about. If you've had some sort of trauma in your childhood or as an adult. Depersonalisation happens as a defence mechanism. But I think if this was the case your issue would have presented itself before now. I suggest it as a just in case, option.

I hope you feel better soon mate. Just try and relax. Getting upset or freaking out about it won't help.

Lawliet_Daniel
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Oct 2012, 1:30 am

Try to meditate a little more often and focus on what you need to think about.
Works everytime for me If I feel foggy.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 2:38 am

AliceInAspieland wrote:
If it's depression you'll have some of the other symptoms. In that case I suggest talking to you GP and talking to someone you trust or who supports you. Perhaps just talking about the things that are upsetting you and finding a way to solve them, might make you feel proactive and thus better. It's also been helpful to me.

I do have other symptoms as well. Insomnia, feeling low all the time, irritability, loss of interest (I have no "special interest" nowadays), starting to feel rather worthless etc.

Lawliet_Daniel wrote:
Try to meditate a little more often and focus on what you need to think about.
Works everytime for me If I feel foggy.

Does meditation really work? I'm sceptical towards it. Not sure why.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 9:49 am

I'm getting that feeling again and until recently did not understand why some days I acted like a professor and others like a incoherent child. I am now realizing that it is the direct result of a lack of intense physical exercise. To me, the better shape I am in, the more 'normal' I act. In spite of that, I admit I am still too lazy to keep to a regular fitness schedule.