Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

FrogGirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Dec 2008, 2:06 am

Is there such a thing as "true happiness" where you don't have to try to convince yourself to be happy, that it just comes natural. My perception of happiness is :
Happiness is a delusion, where people convince themselves that everything is okay, when it really isn't.
I can't see beyond that.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 2:44 am

I have experienced happiness/joy without having to 'work it', so my answer would be 'no, happiness is not merely a delusion you have to talk yourself into'.

Evidently everything being ok is not a pre-requisite for true happiness.

Akajohnnyx
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2008, 2:50 am

Emotions change. Nobody is always happy. Being happy is spontaneous- it isn't something you have to consciously put effort into. You get happy as a result of something. You can't will yourself into it.

Happiness just means that you are content at the moment. While you're eating an ice cream cone, people are getting maimed on the other side of the world. But when you're at your lowest, there's someone 4 states away that just won the lottery.

If you think "true happiness" exists, then that is the delusion, probably brought on by too many Disney films. Some people always seem happy, but that's just part of their personality. I can guarantee they aren't all smiles 24-7. I mean, can you imagine them being all smiles when they're sitting on the pot with the runs? That would be just plain creepy. This world is chaotic, and let's face it- s**t happens.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 3:12 am

It isn’t any more of an illusion than the other emotions. Just more ephemeral perhaps. At least this is so in my own experience.

ReGiFroFoLa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Dec 2008, 3:18 am

Everything is fake and unreal. Pretended.

Everything is an illusion: love, joy, happiness, frienship...

It's the ultimate fall of moral values.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 3:32 am

FrogGirl wrote:
Is there such a thing as "true happiness" where you don't have to try to convince yourself to be happy, that it just comes natural. My perception of happiness is :
Happiness is a delusion, where people convince themselves that everything is okay, when it really isn't.
I can't see beyond that.

Happiness is not an illusion... but it is transitory - as Denis Leary once said, it's a cigarette or a chocolate chip cookie or a long orgasm - and not a permanent state of existence. And while in cinema there is the suspension of disbelief, in life we sometimes find ourselves in suspension of awareness - finding ourselves consumed with the moment of being happy instead of waiting for the other shoe to drop. Things change, pain happens, but we only hurt ourselves when we refuse to allow ourselves to be happy.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 3:50 am

Akajohnnyx wrote:
While you're eating an ice cream cone, people are getting maimed on the other side of the world.

Note to self: eat more ice cream.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

FrogGirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Dec 2008, 1:36 am

Akajohnnyx wrote:

I mean, can you imagine them being all smiles when they're sitting on the pot with the runs? That would be just plain creepy.

Just visualizing that. lol.