How Many People Here Are actually Autistic or have Aspergers

Page 24 of 26 [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

lau
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 6:40 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
FUNNY was used as a sarcastic comment. I meant that I didn't like your jab at the idea of "a CIVILISED country...[unlike those that] suffered in America".

My "jab" was entirely intentional. There are several aspects of America that I find distinctly uncivilised.

I watched "Sicko" recently. I had always thought that US drama series were just "drama", when they portrayed people paying to stay healthy. It hadn't ever really sunk in that people could not obtain sensible health care.

When I watch "Cops" - those injured people who refuse to get into ambulances, which I found very odd, but I now realise is because they would be forced to pay.

============

Which reminds me... I get my First FOB (Faecal Occult Blood) screening test kit, through the post, soon. "The NHS Bowel Cancer Screening Programme offers screening every two years to all men and women aged 60 to 69." I do so like the proactive stuff. It should help me to avoid being one of the 16,000 deaths from that each year. It's the second leading cause of cancer deaths.

I would imagine the unit cost of the test kit, and the production-line analysis of the sample, is very small, when you do a few million each year.

BKBJONES
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Dec 2008, 6:47 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
ephemerella wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
lau wrote:
ThisUserNameIsTaken wrote:
Even your medical insurance company
I don't have medical insurance. I live in a civilised country. I do feel sorry for the woeful lack of medicine suffered by people in America.

FUNNY! Such coverage, in other countries, besides the US, comes at a cost, in taxes....

In America, we like to use our taxes for things like giving billions and billions of dollars to failing and poorly managed companies, like American car companies, so that unionized auto factory workers don't have to make a choice between layoffs or taking a pay cut from the average $145,600 per year they make for their factory work.

We like to spend our tax money on things like topping off six-figure salaries for auto factory workers in badly run industries.

NO, we DON'T! The US ****USED**** to be controlled by the vote of an educated public. It used to be governed by LIMITS that basically said that the idea was to use DUTIES(NOT TAXES), for ONLY providing for the COMMON welfare and government.

I feel compelled to correct this on a couple counts.

Early on, with those good old founding fathers, many white men had the right to vote. However, most didn't because they didn't have a ballot. Ballots were mostly (there were differences) controlled by various candidates and political parties.

The idea of allowing all free white men to vote (and later giving the right to "minorities" and to women) came to us from Australia. Thank you, Aussies, for the Australian ballot.

As for the voters being "educated," I remind you the term "OK" came from the presidential campaign for Martin Van Buren. Voters back then were edumacated much the way they are today: lotsa rhetoric.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 6:53 pm

Man I sure wish people wouldn't do that box in a box in a box quote thing because to me visually it just looks like a bunch of jumbled characters and completely distracts from whatever it is you're trying to say. I don't imagine that others appreciate the 'debate' format very much either.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 7:40 pm

garyww wrote:
Man I sure wish people wouldn't do that box in a box in a box quote thing because to me visually it just looks like a bunch of jumbled characters and completely distracts from whatever it is you're trying to say. I don't imagine that others appreciate the 'debate' format very much either.

There's a way out. If you were using Firefox, there's a clever add-on called "Greasemonkey", and within that (sic), you can get a "Collapse quotes" script.

What it does is to just show the first "layer" of nested boxes, but allows you to expand the inner stuff, if you want to see it.

I was using it happily, before I became a mod, but had to give up using it, then, because people invariably get the idea (once every couple of months) to see how many levels of boxes you can get.

With the clever collapsed quotes, I couldn't understand why my browser was acting so slow, on a thread, until I discovered what was going on. Deep nesting messes up the pages and is extremely unfriendly to users with slower connections.

Anyway... http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp710555.html#710555

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 7:43 pm

I've got firefox, finally, so this is a great tip.

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Dec 2008, 9:26 pm

garyww wrote:

I really like it. It looks like a mandala to me. Of course, I don't even try to read the print. :wink:

BKBJONES
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Dec 2008, 9:31 pm

garyww wrote:

Didn't mean to offend. I can pull my post if it offends you. I just wouldn't know an easier way to reference what I was referencing, but do not wish to offend...

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 5:12 am

BKBJONES wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
ephemerella wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
lau wrote:
ThisUserNameIsTaken wrote:
Even your medical insurance company
I don't have medical insurance. I live in a civilised country. I do feel sorry for the woeful lack of medicine suffered by people in America.

FUNNY! Such coverage, in other countries, besides the US, comes at a cost, in taxes....

In America, we like to use our taxes for things like giving billions and billions of dollars to failing and poorly managed companies, like American car companies, so that unionized auto factory workers don't have to make a choice between layoffs or taking a pay cut from the average $145,600 per year they make for their factory work.

We like to spend our tax money on things like topping off six-figure salaries for auto factory workers in badly run industries.

NO, we DON'T! The US ****USED**** to be controlled by the vote of an educated public. It used to be governed by LIMITS that basically said that the idea was to use DUTIES(NOT TAXES), for ONLY providing for the COMMON welfare and government.

I feel compelled to correct this on a couple counts.

Early on, with those good old founding fathers, many white men had the right to vote. However, most didn't because they didn't have a ballot. Ballots were mostly (there were differences) controlled by various candidates and political parties.

The idea of allowing all free white men to vote (and later giving the right to "minorities" and to women) came to us from Australia. Thank you, Aussies, for the Australian ballot.

As for the voters being "educated," I remind you the term "OK" came from the presidential campaign for Martin Van Buren. Voters back then were edumacated much the way they are today: lotsa rhetoric.

I wish the U.S. was more like Australia. I think Aussies are hot. And I totally agree.

We're too corrupt and polluted by the culture of Old Britain financial schemers that hustled across the Atlantic to plant their noxious, cynical culture of financier-insider-capitalism on Wall Street.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 4:00 am

Yeah, right here in South Australia, women got the vote for the first time. They still have it, too.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 12:48 pm

I thought that maybe this old thread neeed updated since 3 out of the last 11 or so threads were started by members who aren't diagnosed as having any condition so I was wondering if the trend to diagnosed vs. nondiagnosed is changing within the active member groups.

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Mar 2009, 12:53 pm

I have an official diagnosis. I don't think I'll ever know for certain if I have it, but I think I have a lot of Aspie traits.
EMZ=]

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 1:11 pm

garyww wrote:
I've only been here a few days and it already seems to me that a huge number of the people who post probably don't have Aspergers and certainly aren't autustic in the traditional sense of the word so is this just a social free-for-all or catch-all for everybody who thinks they are a little weird and strange.

What do you mean traditional in a sense.

I went through half my life having difficulties in verbal skills, eye contact, interests of obsessions, sensory issues, problems communicating, and not being able to socialize in the same vernacular way as my peers as well as psychological issues with depression although not everyone has this. It was a very lonely experience and I don't think I need to get into details of what it feels like to have the symptoms and people assume you're either "faking it" or being "overly dramatic" which is what I got by most people. It was not easy and it also not easy to try and comply with the tasks people wanted from me.

It took me one doctor after another until I was finally diagnosed as an adult 3 years ago. I had no idea what the hell aspergers was until my psychologist brought it up and then family members who knew me well enough had read about it. I think there are more people than you think that have it but go undiagnosed. Aspergers isn't that obvious or noticable and it can be an issue for some of us who have difficulty in areas that we find hard to change.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 1:41 pm

I don't think one can live with a wrong self-diagnosis for too long without a reality check. you either have it or not, the symptoms are quite obvious. there are a lot of occasional teenage emos here but they usually disappear after 2-3 months (I guess when it becomes obvious that they don't really have a problem).

personally I consider myself borderline/very slightly affected (see sig), which doesn't mean that I don't have serious issues compared to the majority of humans. I'm never going to get a diagnosis, for legal reasons and because I don't want to be a part of the elitist club :p

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 2:17 pm

garyww wrote:
I thought that maybe this old thread neeed updated since 3 out of the last 11 or so threads were started by members who aren't diagnosed as having any condition so I was wondering if the trend to diagnosed vs. nondiagnosed is changing within the active member groups.

Gary, the site is for those affected - both those who are on the spectrum, and those who are in their lives. Some people are curious, some are seeking information about a relationship, and some are discovering themselves along the way. What difference does it make who posts, and whether they have an official diagnosis? My physician agrees with the assessment, after many years of trying to deal with myriad and seemingly unrelated issues, but has made no formal diagnosis; I have found no one qualified in my area to make that determination. In my case, my son is diagnosed on the spectrum which only makes it more likely, on top of my own experiences and nuances of behavior. I just don't understand why it matters...

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 2:18 pm

Just as a note, saying "do you have Autism or Asperger's" is like saying "do you have a car or a Honda?".

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 3:10 pm

makuranososhi wrote:
garyww wrote:

Gary, the site is for those affected - both those who are on the spectrum, and those who are in their lives. Some people are curious, some are seeking information about a relationship, and some are discovering themselves along the way. What difference does it make who posts, and whether they have an official diagnosis? My physician agrees with the assessment, after many years of trying to deal with myriad and seemingly unrelated issues, but has made no formal diagnosis; I have found no one qualified in my area to make that determination. In my case, my son is diagnosed on the spectrum which only makes it more likely, on top of my own experiences and nuances of behavior. I just don't understand why it matters...

M.

You bring up a very good point that I failed to see. People who haven't been officially diagnosed or are not on the spectrum have every right to be here as well!

Knoweledge is power and ignorance is bliss. It would be great if even people not on the spectrum could post here and give their 2 cents in topics or just read about it. Not many people in my area even know what aspergers or autism is or what it actually looks like as opposed to the scrutiny of the media.

What better place to get an in-depth look than here on this site or any other aspie/autie site and especially to those who suspect they or some family member has it. No one would've known about my diagnosis had they not read about it on a site or by psychologist of all people.

Last edited by MissConstrue on 12 Mar 2009, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.