How Many People Here Are actually Autistic or have Aspergers

Page 23 of 26 [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 9:09 pm

I am diagnosed Aspergers and ADHD. Not so sure about the second one though...

I'd say about 60-70% of people here are actually diagnosed AS. At least, it appears that way.

Anyway, all are welcome here so it's pretty irrelevant. :)

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 10:15 pm

It is a common varient of the human neurological condition. As such it is neither a disorder or a disability.

Autism, a differance of thought and perception, only defines someone who has more of a view of self and things than of others.

Just as some people cannot stand to be alone, for their whole existance is dependant on their relating to others, things as connected to others, fads, keeping up with the Jones's, and avoiding the question, "Who am I".

It has long been seen as the human spectrum, Introvert to Extravert. Each is a syndrome of traits.

Traditionally the Extroverts have been seen to be the problem, being totally social with no sense of self, wanting things as identity, they are called Psychopaths, and Sociopaths.

Introvert is a Syndrome, and only recently studied. It does have a spectrum, and a range, it too has extreams. There is an end where it can be seen as a disorder and disability.

To meet that standard at least three things have to exist to the degree of being a serious impairment. If only two make serious impairment, you do not qualify for disorder and disability.

Like the Psychopath that the Courts fail to prove one of, Means, Motive, Oppertunity, you are ruled not guilty, and can never be tried again on that charge.

Those who flunk the three serious impairment test, sometimes by one or two points, are judged normal.

There is a large cluster of normal Introverts who are defined as not having a disorder or disability, but they still have a particular neurology.

The claims of Psychology are neither Medical or Science. But using their criteria, three serious impairments, many here fit that description. Many more missed by a few points, should have cramed for the exam? Many others came up long before the exam, and have grown thick bark.

Even for those who failed, got as little as 50% on the test, they are still Half-Aspie. They are part of a large group, perhaps 10% of all who fall on the Introvert end of the spectrum.

Rejected by the psychobabbling pill pushers, failing to qualify for a disorder, they still carry strong Introvert traits.

Wrong Planet is not based on exclusion, or making money, it supports Pan-Introvertism.

Having only one serious impairment, one at 75%, and two or three minor issues, Wrong Planet is the place to be.

We need the experts, those with four major impairments, just as we need the "I just have something of a problem with one thing."

What we have is a common neurology. I disagree with Autism Speaks, with those that say only someone with a Masters in Psychology can speak. I would prefer a Masters in History.

Our Neurology covers 10% of people, common thought, common problems, and a common search for answers. Subtracting the minority that has been Dxed, perhaps 1%, we have a large group with common views, who do not qualify for being called disordered, deranged, disabled, or being told we are not, by some Internet shrink.

We are the Introverts, odd, quirky, sometimes strange, often intelligent, often pondering the why of the universe, and what is wrong with those other humans.

We are normal sane Introverts, and when someone comes along saying the children should be fixed, I hear a Psychopath who wants to play God. Humans are hard to change and easy to damage.

I think the lack of awareness shown, the range of normal human, the right of each to be themselves, overrules your desire to fix Gods obvious errors.

What we are finding is normal Introverts can become disabled when people like yourself try to fix them, and make them into normal Psychopaths.

So bring it on Psycho boy, I will show you how to play shred the troll.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 10:18 pm

Inventor wrote:
It is a common varient of the human neurological condition. As such it is neither a disorder or a disability.

Autism, a differance of thought and perception, only defines someone who has more of a view of self and things than of others.

Just as some people cannot stand to be alone, for their whole existance is dependant on their relating to others, things as connected to others, fads, keeping up with the Jones's, and avoiding the question, "Who am I".

It has long been seen as the human spectrum, Introvert to Extravert. Each is a syndrome of traits.

Traditionally the Extroverts have been seen to be the problem, being totally social with no sense of self, wanting things as identity, they are called Psychopaths, and Sociopaths.

Introvert is a Syndrome, and only recently studied. It does have a spectrum, and a range, it too has extreams. There is an end where it can be seen as a disorder and disability.

To meet that standard at least three things have to exist to the degree of being a serious impairment. If only two make serious impairment, you do not qualify for disorder and disability.

Like the Psychopath that the Courts fail to prove one of, Means, Motive, Oppertunity, you are ruled not guilty, and can never be tried again on that charge.

Those who flunk the three serious impairment test, sometimes by one or two points, are judged normal.

There is a large cluster of normal Introverts who are defined as not having a disorder or disability, but they still have a particular neurology.

The claims of Psychology are neither Medical or Science. But using their criteria, three serious impairments, many here fit that description. Many more missed by a few points, should have cramed for the exam? Many others came up long before the exam, and have grown thick bark.

Even for those who failed, got as little as 50% on the test, they are still Half-Aspie. They are part of a large group, perhaps 10% of all who fall on the Introvert end of the spectrum.

Rejected by the psychobabbling pill pushers, failing to qualify for a disorder, they still carry strong Introvert traits.

Wrong Planet is not based on exclusion, or making money, it supports Pan-Introvertism.

Having only one serious impairment, one at 75%, and two or three minor issues, Wrong Planet is the place to be.

We need the experts, those with four major impairments, just as we need the "I just have something of a problem with one thing."

What we have is a common neurology. I disagree with Autism Speaks, with those that say only someone with a Masters in Psychology can speak. I would prefer a Masters in History.

Our Neurology covers 10% of people, common thought, common problems, and a common search for answers. Subtracting the minority that has been Dxed, perhaps 1%, we have a large group with common views, who do not qualify for being called disordered, deranged, disabled, or being told we are not, by some Internet shrink.

We are the Introverts, odd, quirky, sometimes strange, often intelligent, often pondering the why of the universe, and what is wrong with those other humans.

We are normal sane Introverts, and when someone comes along saying the children should be fixed, I hear a Psychopath who wants to play God. Humans are hard to change and easy to damage.

I think the lack of awareness shown, the range of normal human, the right of each to be themselves, overrules your desire to fix Gods obvious errors.

What we are finding is normal Introverts can become disabled when people like yourself try to fix them, and make them into normal Psychopaths.

So bring it on Psycho boy, I will show you how to play shred the troll.

Thank you.
That was extremely well said.

BKBJONES
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Dec 2008, 12:25 am

Inventor: U da man!

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Dec 2008, 1:14 am

Quoting Ephey

Quote:
Obviously, he has a list and is checking against that. For some reason, he's identifying and documenting people here.

It's Santa Claus! It's Santa Claus! :santa:
:rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer:

Makin' a list, checkin' it twice,
gonna find out who's naughty or nice.

POSERS GET COAL IN THEIR STOCKINGS. :roll: :lol:

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 6:48 am

lau wrote:
ThisUserNameIsTaken wrote:
Even your medical insurance company
I don't have medical insurance. I live in a civilised country. I do feel sorry for the woeful lack of medicine suffered by people in America.

FUNNY! Such coverage, in other countries, besides the US, comes at a cost, in taxes. There are STILL limits. There are priorities. Sometimes having a capitalist system is BETTER! To say that all civilised countries have insurance, etc.... is very biased, to say the least.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 7:07 am

There are some misapprehensions being laid bare through these posts: aspergers isn't - in my understanding, at least - a behavioural disorder, it's a learning disorder. I can't learn normal human behaviour because I don't get the cues that are fundamental to it.

Yes, there's some behavioural stuff there, but the thing we're penalised for throughout our lives is not responding right.

We can learn patterns of response that minimise the damage, but the energy with which a "normal" will pursue someone they see as having slighted them will always cut through that. So, we adapt. Imperfectly, most of the time, and certainly without any defence against the side effects of a momentary lapse in concentration, but we adapt.

And in most cases there's a balance between upsetting people and relying on the support of those who have some family connection to us. We learn what works, and then we stick with it. We're just like normals in that...

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 7:24 am

Autism is a neurological disorder (all types of), but most common neurologists don't want to touch it unless there's an associated seizure disorder present. The common psychologist/psychiatrist treats the secondary effects of the disorder (anxiety and depression), but won't bother with the core deficits as nothing [known] can help such.

It's diagnosed based on behavioural manifestations, as that's the only common universal finding so far. Brain imaging will probably aid in diagnosis in the future, but that won't offer much in ways of treatment for the genuine neurological symptoms.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 8:17 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
lau wrote:
I don't have medical insurance. I live in a civilised country. I do feel sorry for the woeful lack of medicine suffered by people in America.

FUNNY! Such coverage, in other countries, besides the US, comes at a cost, in taxes. There are STILL limits. There are priorities. Sometimes having a capitalist system is BETTER! To say that all civilised countries have insurance, etc.... is very biased, to say the least.

What is funny?

Of course I'm biased. I like the idea that I will be treated if I am ill (unconditionally). I like the the idea that others are treated if they are ill (unconditionally). I also like the idea that such treatment will be quicker, more effective and overall cheaper. Gambling with health doesn't appeal to me.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 8:25 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
lau wrote:

FUNNY! Such coverage, in other countries, besides the US, comes at a cost, in taxes....

In America, we like to use our taxes for things like giving billions and billions of dollars to failing and poorly managed companies, like American car companies, so that unionized auto factory workers don't have to make a choice between layoffs or taking a pay cut from the average $145,600 per year they make for their factory work.

We like to spend our tax money on things like topping off six-figure salaries for auto factory workers in badly run industries.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 9:34 am

EvoVari wrote:
Don't you just love it when people say they have been "formally or officially diagnosed". Wow, sounds so impressive!!

Why would you think it sounds impressive? It's a matter of fact and has nothing to do with your or anyone's feelings.

In some countries, there are medical files. Or in all... I don't know.

Everything in the medical file is official, everything else is unofficial because it's in your head, not registered, never existed, isn't real or just because nobody cares for your differences/disabilities. There could be a whole lot of reasons to go undiagnosed or get diagnosed privately and not let that diagnosis get into your file.

But to have it written down is of utmost importance when it comes to services.

You need an official diagnosis from a psychiatrist (not a psychologist where I live, may be different for each country) to get services. Where I live.

Nobody will pay for your needs if you just claim to have such and such disorder. Because everybody can claim it and government and insurances are aware of that naturally.

I'm saying that adults should shy away from diagnosis. The reason I say that is because with adults the damage is pretty much all done and there's not really much effective treatment to be had, at least nothing that you couldn't get for free by joining a social group or going out and forcing yourself to socialize.

Of course there is 'effective' treatment for 'adults'.

For some, it starts with simple hygienic maintenance of self, for others it's learning to call others, manage finances, emotional management, learning social skills from basic eye-contact and social niceties to being almost completely undercover, getting friendships or romantic relationships.

There's no reason an adult on the spectrum should or should not know these things. It doesn't have to so with being dumb or lazy or with having missed chances in the past or even with level of severity. It's because of autism and how it affects each of us a little differently so that our challenges also differ individually. And with each different personality, because this is fundamental to how a person reacts to treatment.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 5:52 pm

ephemerella wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
lau wrote:

FUNNY! Such coverage, in other countries, besides the US, comes at a cost, in taxes....

In America, we like to use our taxes for things like giving billions and billions of dollars to failing and poorly managed companies, like American car companies, so that unionized auto factory workers don't have to make a choice between layoffs or taking a pay cut from the average $145,600 per year they make for their factory work.

We like to spend our tax money on things like topping off six-figure salaries for auto factory workers in badly run industries.

NO, we DON'T! The US ****USED**** to be controlled by the vote of an educated public. It used to be governed by LIMITS that basically said that the idea was to use DUTIES(NOT TAXES), for ONLY providing for the COMMON welfare and government.

THEN, they decided EVERYONE should vote!

THEN, they decided NOBODY(save only a VERY few) should vote, and the idea is that THEY would supposedly be educated and informed, and elected by those wanting to elect the president and vice president.(The people that REALLY elect the president are known as electors, and they are in a group known as the electoral collage. ) The local election remained under local popular vote.

They can vote for their OWN raises, write books, make deals, etc....

So where does that leave the US? A BLITHERING IDIOT with NO allegiance to the country could place a vote for an elector for president. If there are enough electors, the idiot may get some payment. Just look at the latest scandal of Blagojevich! He was planning to SELL a senate seat, extorted money/favors, etc.... And Obama says he didn't talk to Blagojevich much. Wasn't part of his job, as SENATOR of Illinois, to talk to Blagojevich the GOVERNOR of Illinois!?!?!? So did he do his job, or was he LYING!?!?

I WAS, at least, heartened to learn that the LIBERALS on the US supreme court tend to be older. The average president can change the legal makeup of the us for as much as 70 years through appointing new judges. And the US supreme court is filled with judges that can stay there for their entire lives.

The average JUNIOR senator, last I knew, makes OVER $99K a year! STILL, that is generally only a very small fraction of what it takes to get elected! Oh well, when they leave, they get a separate pension for EACH term, and maybe even an office and security! OH YEAH, they get lots of other perks as well.

BTW I hate ALL unions, and the UAW is a good example of WHY! The airlines have the SAME problem! They balk at the CEOs, and say THEY should make that much, but they don't bother to realize that part of the income is securities, and that even a 100% paycut couldn't pay for the UAW's HIGH salaries. BTW, in case you're curious, I make less than $145K. They REFUSE to train machines, because they want to keep their CURRENT jobs, and demand being paid a LOT for them. Meanwhile, other countries may be more automated. And companies like Rolls Royce, that probably pay well, hire few, build slow, and sell few cars at a HIGH price. They ARE known for quality as well as prestige. They aren't about to hire thousands more, and they couldn't afford it.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 5:53 pm

ephemerella wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
lau wrote:

NO, we DON'T! The US ****USED**** to be controlled by the vote of an educated public. It used to be governed by LIMITS that basically said that the idea was to use DUTIES(NOT TAXES), for ONLY providing for the COMMON welfare and government.

THEN, they decided EVERYONE should vote!

THEN, they decided NOBODY(save only a VERY few) should vote, and the idea is that THEY would supposedly be educated and informed, and elected by those wanting to elect the president and vice president.(The people that REALLY elect the president are known as electors, and they are in a group known as the electoral collage. ) The local election remained under local popular vote.

They can vote for their OWN raises, write books, make deals, etc....

So where does that leave the US? A BLITHERING IDIOT with NO allegiance to the country could place a vote for an elector for president. If there are enough electors, the idiot may get some payment. Just look at the latest scandal of Blagojevich! He was planning to SELL a senate seat, extorted money/favors, etc.... And Obama says he didn't talk to Blagojevich much. Wasn't part of his job, as SENATOR of Illinois, to talk to Blagojevich the GOVERNOR of Illinois!?!?!? So did he do his job, or was he LYING!?!?

I WAS, at least, heartened to learn that the LIBERALS on the US supreme court tend to be older. The average president can change the legal makeup of the us for as much as 70 years through appointing new judges. And the US supreme court is filled with judges that can stay there for their entire lives.

The average JUNIOR senator, last I knew, makes OVER $99K a year! STILL, that is generally only a very small fraction of what it takes to get elected! Oh well, when they leave, they get a separate pension for EACH term, and maybe even an office and security! OH YEAH, they get lots of other perks as well.

BTW I hate ALL unions, and the UAW is a good example of WHY! The airlines have the SAME problem! They balk at the CEOs, and say THEY should make that much, but they don't bother to realize that part of the income is securities, and that even a 100% paycut couldn't pay for the UAW's HIGH salaries. BTW, in case you're curious, I make less than $145K. They REFUSE to train machines, because they want to keep their CURRENT jobs, and demand being paid a LOT for them. Meanwhile, other countries may be more automated. And companies like Rolls Royce, that probably pay well, hire few, build slow, and sell few cars at a HIGH price. They ARE known for quality as well as prestige. They aren't about to hire thousands more, and they couldn't afford it.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 5:56 pm

Sora wrote:
EvoVari wrote:
Don't you just love it when people say they have been "formally or officially diagnosed". Wow, sounds so impressive!!

Why would you think it sounds impressive? It's a matter of fact and has nothing to do with your or anyone's feelings.

In some countries, there are medical files. Or in all... I don't know.

Everything in the medical file is official, everything else is unofficial because it's in your head, not registered, never existed, isn't real or just because nobody cares for your differences/disabilities. There could be a whole lot of reasons to go undiagnosed or get diagnosed privately and not let that diagnosis get into your file.

But to have it written down is of utmost importance when it comes to services.

You need an official diagnosis from a psychiatrist (not a psychologist where I live, may be different for each country) to get services. Where I live.

Nobody will pay for your needs if you just claim to have such and such disorder. Because everybody can claim it and government and insurances are aware of that naturally.

You probably realize it, but I think Evovari was being sarcastic.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 6:01 pm

lau wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
lau wrote:

What is funny?

Of course I'm biased. I like the idea that I will be treated if I am ill (unconditionally). I like the the idea that others are treated if they are ill (unconditionally). I also like the idea that such treatment will be quicker, more effective and overall cheaper. Gambling with health doesn't appeal to me.

FUNNY was used as a sarcastic comment. I meant that I didn't like your jab at the idea of "a CIVILISED country...[unlike those that] suffered in America".

Mosse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Dec 2008, 6:23 pm

Sadly, I am... not a single symptom though. I wanna shoot the person who diagnosed me.

End it all?