Do you appear normal to the rest of the world?

Page 5 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Do you appear normal to the rest of the world?
Yes 34%  34%  [ 36 ]
No 22%  22%  [ 23 ]
Sometimes 44%  44%  [ 46 ]
Total votes : 105

EnglishLulu
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 1:01 am

I voted yes. But I wish it was possible to qualify it better. I wish there had been more options than yes, no, sometimes.

I appear normal more often that sometimes, in fact most of the time, but not all of the time.

One of my close friends recently said that she wouldn't have known, because she knows people on the spectrum and they're way 'worse' than me. But I'm quite good at eye contact. And can do small talk and meeting new people. And I'm quite tactile for an Aspie.

But other people I've told their reaction has been more along the lines of: Ah, yeah, that makes sense now. Ah that's why you're like that, why you do that.

And I'm better at appearing normal in some contexts than others. i.e. if I'm in the right frame of mind, and if I've had a glass of wine or two for Dutch courage, then I can mingle in a room full of strangers at a party, and I know that prospect would terrify many Aspies, but I can do that. But office politics, I'm pants, I'm crap at office politics and all the Machiavellian manoeuvrings... crap. Absolutely not 'normal' at all in that respect.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 1:07 am

Hard to say. I'm just very quiet around my friends. I don't like to join in when they play around.
Also, I have a strange way of walking to some people. I get a lot of looks.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 1:24 am

prillix wrote:
Very simple, do you appear normal(NT) to strangers, basically people you see walking down the street, walking in the mall, etc..., simply put, people you do not know.

apparently, yes

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Dec 2008, 2:32 am

In all honesty, I feel blinded by this than some people here seem to be. I don't notice people's reactions to me, or I interpret them wrong. I have no idea what kind of first impression I make. People think I'm nice and polite (I think). But sometimes I feel like I disappear, like background scenery.

Get to know me and I'm probably shy, eccentric, and anxious. Just a guess, really. I try not to think about how little I know about how people see me.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 4:38 am

never. tattoos, cowgirl hat, white mini foxie trailing behind, stimming, a few funny facial tics and expressions, and a general demeanour that is a little left field.

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

oh, and at age 46. most women my age in the country town where we live (regional australia north of byron bay) look a little straighter than i do. HOwever, the areaWAS the cente of the hippie movement in the 60's and 70's in Australia, and consequently it is pretty open and accepting of all types. That is what makes it such a great place for an AS person to live. There is a culture of acceptance.