People who confuse Beauty and Intelligence

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2004, 9:22 am

I've run into a lot of people who confuse beauty and Intelligence. I must also add that I'm aware that I'm not the most beautiful woman in the world. It drives me bananas when people presume that I can't help myself,or that I'm MR, just because I'm not Supermodel georgeus. I deal with those people by saying something really Intelligent, or by holding my head up in a snobbish way and walking past them.

Fiddler
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Oct 2004, 10:45 am

What does MR mean?

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2004, 12:03 pm

Fiddler wrote:
What does MR mean?

MR stands for mentally ret*d.

KtMcS
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Oct 2004, 1:50 pm

I've generally found the more typically beautiful a person is the stupider they are (obv. there are exceptions). I personally believe this is because they have used their looks to get them everywhere and get everything and never had to use their brains.

Sonas càirdeas

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2004, 2:16 pm

I hope this doesn't offend you, but maybe they think you are less intelligent because of how you behave/interact, rather than because you're not "beautiful." Unless you look like you have Down's Syndrome (which is the only type of mental retardation I know of that has physical manifestations) I don't see why they would judge you as being less intelligent.

People treat me like I am younger because I am quiet and shy. I don't know if they think I'm stupid, but I have had people tell me they didn't think I could talk because I so seldom speak around people I don't know. It's also probably because I tend to slouch and am quite short, that I am so often mistaken for a child.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2004, 3:12 pm

These are usually strangers that I see on the street. I stand tall and I;m a very wordy person. I think it might be the fact that I dress for comfort instaed of wearing form-fitted clothes. I'm not about to change, but I think that people tend to judge people by how they dress as well. I walk really fast and look straight ahead. I wonder if that might have something to do with it?

WillyWebbs
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Oct 2004, 3:36 pm

I can understand if people judge you because of what you wear. For example, who would you be more apt to engage in conversation, a neatly dressed man in a buisiness suit, or a wigger wearing a shirt and jean shorts 10 times to big for him.

ilster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Oct 2004, 5:34 am

It is too hard to anticipate what someone else would like to talk to. Some of us feel comfortable wih someone that doesn't quite fit in, but others want someone completely safe.
I have been told I look OK, but in the long term it means nothing. It's all about how you look at the rest of the world I think, not how they look at you!! ! Yes, I've often been frustrated by people that think that I look ok, so I must think like them, or I look wierd, so I must think differently. I am wot I am, and thats that!! !

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2004, 5:44 am

Quote:
I think it might be the fact that I dress for comfort instaed of wearing form-fitted clothes.

That's possible. That can make you seem more childlike, according to what I've been told. I dress like that some of the time (I'd say maybe 50%) and have been told by my parents that I "look like a rag" and "should dress more my age."

Quote:
I walk really fast and look straight ahead. I wonder if that might have something to do with it?

I have no idea. It seems to me most people do that, anyway.

If these are strangers on the street, how do you know they are judging you as less intelligent or mentally ret*d?

Quote:
Yes, I've often been frustrated by people that think that I look ok, so I must think like them, or I look wierd, so I must think differently. I am wot I am, and thats that!! !

People judge on appearance. It's just something you have to accept. Initially, all they know about you is what you look like/sound like/smell like. If they are not attracted to that, they don't feel the need to waste their time and energy getting to know what you are like inside of your head, or personality-wise. They want to meet people similiar to themselves and share things with them, just as we do (otherwise, why would we be posting on this site, right?) Also, with all of the dangerous people in today's society, it's pretty much necessary to try to judge others before getting to know them, because afterwards may be too late.

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2004, 4:00 pm

WillyWebbs wrote:
I can understand if people judge you because of what you wear. For example, who would you be more apt to engage in conversation, a neatly dressed man in a buisiness suit, or a wigger wearing a shirt and jean shorts 10 times to big for him.

The latter of course as the first is likely a con-man! You think clothes denote character? Haven't you noticed they can be taken off and replaced, as occaision demands?

I note from your profile that you are not sure if you "have it or not". If "it" refers to AS or any form of autism, forget it; you don't have it!

Having said that, if you suffer from some of the non-relevant conditions the US method uses to "define" AS, then you may be so diagnosed, but you don't "think" autie, so such a diagnosis would be meaningless. If you just can't get along with the conventional, irrational, "establishment think" on most issues, welcome to the club!

TaliDaRadical
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Oct 2004, 5:10 pm

I hate f-king shallow people. CockeyRebel, I get the same damn thang from people. Although there is a slight genetic correlation between beauty and intelligence, it's not right for people to presume that somebody who doesn't look like a model is dumb. If you can hold your head up high and ignore those b-tches, you GO girl! You don't need those people, they are the idiots themselves.

Arashi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Oct 2004, 7:28 pm

Back in High School I had really long hair, wore a ratty torn jeans jacket with a Led Zeppelin patch on it, and ripped jeans. I realized that this acted as a sort of "filter" that kept me from having to deal with shallow people. I ended up hanging out with a group of very eccentric, very fun people.

Later as an adult I had an interesting experience. I still had the ratty long hair, but at the time I had quite a bit of expendable income, (now I'm broke but that's another story). I was on a trip to NYC and wanted a souvenier. I'd always wanted to visit a "high end" tobacco store and pick out a reallly nice pipe. I'd set my limit at around $300. I walked into a fancy place called "Nat Shermans" and started browsing the cases. I was ignored by the well dressed sales woman. Then another customer came in dressed in the standard 80's "power suit", complete with red suspenders. The sales woman immediately walked over to wait on him. I walked out. Little did they know I was ready to drop a few hundred on a pipe.

Years later I cut my hair because I was sick of dealing with the dreadlocks that formed below the helmet line, (I rode a motorcycle). Now I bet if I walked into that same store, I'd get service, but about all I could afford now would be a tin of tobacco or a cigar. :D

I guess the moral of my rantings CockneyRebel, is that if people think you're stupid simply because of the way you look or dress, they're probably not worth your time in the long run.

alex
Developer
Developer

20 Oct 2004, 8:24 pm

gwynfryn wrote:
WillyWebbs wrote:

The latter of course as the first is likely a con-man! You think clothes denote character? Haven't you noticed they can be taken off and replaced, as occaision demands?

I note from your profile that you are not sure if you "have it or not". If "it" refers to AS or any form of autism, forget it; you don't have it!

Having said that, if you suffer from some of the non-relevant conditions the US method uses to "define" AS, then you may be so diagnosed, but you don't "think" autie, so such a diagnosis would be meaningless. If you just can't get along with the conventional, irrational, "establishment think" on most issues, welcome to the club!

What is "the non-relevant conditions that the US method uses to 'define' AS?" Its common sense to think that someone who dresses nicely would be less likely to steal tobacco. I bet that on average that store sells more expensive things to people with nicer clothes. "Establishment think" isn't always irrational. A lot of time Asperger's syndrome makes me think irrationally; moreso than other people. I try to remember that its just my disorder talking when I irrationally become obsessed with stupid things. Usually it makes me obsessed with more productive things, but not always. Maybe other people don't get the same effect from AS, but maybe we are all irrational and thats why we think everyone else is! I think rationality is a relative term in some senses.

letsGoBlues
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Oct 2004, 8:41 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I've run into a lot of people who confuse beauty and Intelligence. I must also add that I'm aware that I'm not the most beautiful woman in the world. It drives me bananas when people presume that I can't help myself,or that I'm MR, just because I'm not Supermodel georgeus. I deal with those people by saying something really Intelligent, or by holding my head up in a snobbish way and walking past them.

As a guy almost 21 I say beauty means alot.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2004, 9:21 pm

alex wrote:
Its common sense to think that someone who dresses nicely would be less likely to steal tobacco. I bet that on average that store sells more expensive things to people with nicer clothes. "Establishment think" isn't always irrational. A lot of time Asperger's syndrome makes me think irrationally; moreso than other people.

I never thought I'd see the day when an aspie denies his heritage and embraces the superficiality of NTdom! Have you been so deluded by their pathologizing dribble that you forget who the rational ones in this world are? Our obsessions are not wrong, bad, or irrational; they are our interests and hobbies; to us, they are fun! Let the NTs in the suits run around in the rat-race maze, chasing the illusion of better productivity. Leave the glories of a genuine, meaningful life to us!

Remember: Don't let anyone tell you your very essence is a disorder! Embrace Asperger's syndrome and be free!

letsGoBlues
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Oct 2004, 9:55 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
alex wrote:
Its common sense to think that someone who dresses nicely would be less likely to steal tobacco. I bet that on average that store sells more expensive things to people with nicer clothes. "Establishment think" isn't always irrational. A lot of time Asperger's syndrome makes me think irrationally; moreso than other people.

I never thought I'd see the day when an aspie denies his heritage and embraces the superficiality of NTdom! Have you been so deluded by their pathologizing dribble that you forget who the rational ones in this world are? Our obsessions are not wrong, bad, or irrational; they are our interests and hobbies; to us, they are fun! Let the NTs in the suits run around in the rat-race maze, chasing the illusion of better productivity. Leave the glories of a genuine, meaningful life to us!

Remember: Don't let anyone tell you your very essence is a disorder! Embrace Asperger's syndrome and be free!

So its alright for me to obsesse over girls?