Page 2 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Qi
Raven
Raven

18 Dec 2008, 4:18 am

I have a VERY narrow sense of humor. I have difficulty laughing at even the most popular comedies.

However, here are a few things that made me laugh hard.

House MD. Not exactly my favorite show, but boy do I find it funny at times, especially in the first two seasons.

Frasier. The only comedy series that constantly makes me laugh with it's very sophisticated, yet easy to catch humor. I highly recommend it.

Seinfeld. Most of the time, I find it unfunny. But every two episodes or so there's a moment that makes me explode with laughter.

Movies: Airplane and The Naked Gun trilogy. Completely absurd sense of humor that catches you off guard most of the time.

DarthMaxeuis
Toucan
Toucan

18 Dec 2008, 4:36 am

As I told it before, Aspie might have a particular sense of humour.
But I hate people who make fun of a religion, a race or a gender by jokes.
These jokes are made on stereotypes, I hate them.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 4:41 am

I like visual humour most of the time, although I really like House too which is quite vocal humour. I don't think there is 'an Aspie sense of humour' we're all different, unique and so we won't all like the same thing.

I often find that I over analyse jokes that are supposedly simple... Or get totally obsessed with one joke for ages (like on Storm Hawks a guy gets his butt on fire and just says 'I think I'm on fire eh...' in this really chilled out voice!)

vacp83
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Dec 2008, 5:09 am

Before I was diagnosed, I was a teacher (not a good one though!). We were talking about humour and one of my colleagues - known for her wit, looked at me and said "I'd like to see that one teach a lesson on humour". I didn't know what to say to that but it's stuck with me. I find things funny if it's very obvious, but I don't get subtle or surreal comedy. I don't get Mighty Boosh or League of Gentlemen at all!!

b9
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 9:01 am

it is interesting that many people here see "house" as comedic.
i also do and i think 99% of the public do not feel that urge to chuckle at some of his socially catastrophic decisions.

everyone i ever watched house with (only 2 people) did not see how it was funny.
they saw house as a sad genius that was damaged and having a hard time.

i saw him as "dancing solo in his own mental world" far above anyone who he interacted with in every episode i saw.

i think the original idea for "house's" character was for a genius that was embittered by physical and personal misfortune and who was still a genius even in the face of a narcotic addiction.

but the writers are brilliant and they create socially awkward scenes that are so familiar for me to watch that i laugh giddily in identification.

i do not think there is any diagnostically significant correlation in the type of humor that various AS people like.
although it is tempting to think that there must be at least a common thread between them.
some people here say they like corny simple jokes. i just register those jokes as witty reassemblements of concepts, and not funny per se.

i also have ODD, so i may not be able to identify what i find in a purely AS sense.
if i see a film clip (even if it is serious) where someone is obviously ODD, i will laugh with uncontrolledness.
like on "cops" once i saw a woman who was pulled over for driving through a puddle and not avoiding it.
she had her license and she was very intelligent and she had no reason to become belligerent with the cop.
anyway, at the end of the clip, she was hog tied and bundled into the back of the police car simply because her defiance mounted to a level that required extreme force.
she was capsicum sprayed in the face etc, but at the beginning of the clip she sounded like a college professor who was just going to the shop to get some milk.
it was injurious for me to see that episode because i pulled a muscle in my torso.

when i was little and i watched "lost in space", i used to laugh at the robot (b-9).
he was so literal that it hurt my sides to listen to him try to console the human cast members when they rarely sought his consolation.

the most classic line i remember was in a scene where dr smith stayed behind in the jupiter 2 with the robot instead of going with the robinsons in their chariot to a warmer place.
in his loneliness he eventually turned to the robot and tried to talk to him, and the robot was so hilarious with his responses (unintentional by the writers i am sure).
the eventual dialogue was where dr smith reasoned that given the dropping temperature, he would die. he looked at the robot in dispair and said in a terrified voice "i'm going to die!! !" , and the robot said "in exactly 1 hour 32 minutes and 59.4 seconds" in a monotone and i laughed until i started coughing.
that was so funny.

things do not have to be witty for me to find them funny. in fact, i miss the meaning of most witty things.

i find my own humor in the seams of reality. i do not laugh much at pre prepared things that people say to elicit laughter.
like comedians etc.

but there are very few comedians i really like.
i like this one.

this is a link to my youtube page with a sound file of an australian comedian who did not advance to national recognition. few people have heard of him but i really like his way of talking and conceptualization.
i stuck a picture on the sound file so i could save it as a video to put it on youtube.
this is very funny to me but i may be lower functtioning than many others here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEew7lBU ... annel_page

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 9:39 am

There isn't really a pattern to my sense of humor. I admit I do often laugh at 'slapstick' situations; people falling over, etc. But more often, a particular line that isn't logically funny in any way at all will just tickle me for some reason and start me laughing hysterically. I've had to leave the room before because I just couldn't stop giggling about something that even I can see shouldn't have been that funny.

I do enjoy watching comedy shows, but I more just enjoy them without actually laughing out loud at them very often.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 9:42 am

I find it humourous when people use Norton antivirus... Its like buying condoms that have an opening on both ends...

Is it meant to protect you? yes.

Does it though? no.

bonez
Toucan
Toucan

18 Dec 2008, 10:33 am

anybody here watch the office-(us version)? by far my favorite show!! its hilarious!

b9
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 10:41 am

i started to laugh at the funeral of my nephew who died when he was 34 (he was 1 year younger than me at the time (it was about a year ago)).
i tried so very hard not to laugh, and when it erupted out, it was a snorting sound. i pretended i was coughing (and i tried to fakely cough to qualify it) and i ran from the chapel.

(that was a disastrous funeral for me for so many other reasons too).

it was the solemnity and gravity of the facial expressions of the people at the funeral that made me scared that i would not fit in at a very important time.
i usually can not care, but at that funeral with all my family there sobbing and other friends of his also sobbing, it was important that i be as "NT like" as i could be for that day.

at the funeral, the faces of familiar people were furrowed into expressions i had not seen before.
it was almost cartoonishly funny for me to see.
when the first person at the funeral (before the cathedral bit) approached me and extended their hand to me, i looked at their hand as if it was a specimen and i acknowledged it accordingly.
i then suddenly saw humor in the fact that i did not hold his hand and shake it.
i do not know why. but as he looked curtly at me, i was sputtering in a suppressed laughter and he became more irate which made me laugh more.
he thought i was a dill and that started a new round of mirth in me and i started to laugh very hard so i ran away down the road for a while to get over it.

everyone became aware that i was not a good participant to the funeral crowd, and their bewildered facial expressions made me laugh so bad.
so i decided to go home.
i laughed for ages in my car on the way home and i am not sure how to describe it in words, but it was a very hilarious day and my "family" became quite a bit more distant from me that day.

whatever.
the atmosphere still contains enough oxygen.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 11:09 am

I find serious looking people hilarious as well. when I was a kid, and bored on family get togethers I would always "switch off" speech comprehension and just laugh at the grown ups as they discussed things, getting more and more into it as they drank- I thought they looked like puppets and their expressions were just too ridiculous.

I still do it sometimes when I'm in a group of people (my NT friends can't do it and they hate it when I'm doing it, although I have no idea how they can tell...). it's very entertaining.

my favourite comedy shows: Little Britain, The Office (UK version), House, Californication (I find the attitude of this guy hilarious), most British comedy shows actually. I like sarcastic & ironic sense of humour as well as abstract like Monty Python.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 11:29 am

anna-banana wrote:
I find serious looking people hilarious as well. when I was a kid, and bored on family get togethers I would always "switch off" speech comprehension and just laugh at the grown ups as they discussed things, getting more and more into it as they drank- I thought they looked like puppets and their expressions were just too ridiculous.

I still do it sometimes when I'm in a group of people (my NT friends can't do it and they hate it when I'm doing it, although I have no idea how they can tell...). it's very entertaining.

my favourite comedy shows: Little Britain, The Office (UK version), House, Californication (I find the attitude of this guy hilarious), most British comedy shows actually. I like sarcastic & ironic sense of humour as well as abstract like Monty Python.

It's only a fleshwound!

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 1:54 pm

What did the spoon say to the bowl? Nothing, spoons dont talk! :D

What do you call Santa's little helpers? Subordinate clauses! :D

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 8:31 pm

Sometimes we are amused topic

Lately I have not found humour but when I do it is usually the most absurd sort, and I laugh until I cry. :P

Others have described my sense of humour as dry, subtle and pedantic.

Sure. :lol:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 9:30 pm

sartresue wrote:
Sometimes we are amused topic

Lately I have not found humour but when I do it is usually the most absurd sort, and I laugh until I cry. :P

Others have described my sense of humour as dry, subtle and pedantic.

Sure. :lol:

I once spent 20 m inutes laughing because whatever I was laughing at was so funny yet awkward, that I found it funny I was laughing about it, and found it funny that I was laughing about laughing at it, and so the chain continues.

EDIT: People thought I was high.

ngonz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Dec 2008, 10:01 pm

I like corny jokes, too. Like this one: Two snowmen were talking and one said to the other, "Yeah, that's weird...I smell carrots, too!"

I laughed till I cried the other day as I read through all 100 of the Chuck Norris "facts", and just say the word "fart" and I am rotfl.

One liners are the best. I love 3rd Rock from the Sun, Seinfeld and Scrubs. You have to really listen to Scrubs because the one liners are rapid-fire.

Both of my sons are ASD, and the 3 of us tend to laugh when the rest of the room is silent.

www.neurointegrity.com

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 10:13 pm

BastetsEye wrote:
What do you call a romantic starburst?
A Casa-Nova!

lulz

--
Basically, I like Scrubs and Earl, I also think the bossy detectives from shows like CSI and Law and order:CI are quite hilarious. But the show I miss the most is "Dead like me"