are you gullible or niave?
i am niave 65%  65%  [ 13 ]
i am gullible 35%  35%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 20

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

21 Dec 2008, 3:21 pm

im niave. theres no way im believing anything. i dont even believe half the stuff thats happend to me and i get into fihgts with myself about it!

ike
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 3:50 pm

I don't understand the distinction you're making between those two words. :?

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 3:52 pm

I don't understand the post period.

SeizeTheDay
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 3:52 pm

I thought they were the same thing?

"The person who knows everything has a lot to learn."

"Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" (I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am) René Descartes

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

21 Dec 2008, 3:54 pm

gullibale- easily deceived or cheated.
niave- having or showing a lack of experience, judgment, or information; credulous: She's so naive she believes everything she reads. He has a very naive attitude toward politics.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

21 Dec 2008, 3:56 pm

SeizeTheDay wrote:
I thought they were the same thing?
woops, are they the same thing? i thought they were different. gullibale seems to be a more severe form of being niave

BastetsEye
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Dec 2008, 3:57 pm

I think gullible is thaat you believe something your told., where as Nieve is when you don't know something that most people are expected to know that can potentially hurt you (physically/emotionally/mentally) or someone else.

I tend to be both depending on the situation.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 3:58 pm

I used to be both.

Now I am no longer naive, but still very gullible.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 3:58 pm

Oh, I get what you're saying now.

Easily decieved being gullible doesn't add up to your example for naivette though:
"She's so naive she believes everything she reads."

Aufgehen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Dec 2008, 4:11 pm

Quote:
I used to be both.

Now I am no longer naive, but still very gullible.

Ditto

21 Dec 2008, 4:14 pm

I guess I'm naive then. I thought I was gullible but I keep being told I'm not and then they test me by asking me some questions and I always pass. I still say I'm gullible anyway since I believe what people tell me or what I read but the story has to sound out of place for me to not beleive it.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 4:18 pm

Have been treated like I'm gullible. Have been told I'm innocent/naive. I think it's something to do with my face. Seriously.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 4:23 pm

I'm somewhat a mixture of both.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

21 Dec 2008, 4:32 pm

-JR wrote:
Have been treated like I'm gullible. Have been told I'm innocent/naive. I think it's something to do with my face. Seriously.

Yeah same here. People would tell me stupid stories thinking I would believe them and I never did. Sometimes I just played along and I bet they thought I was buying it. They thought I was that gullible. A girl in my school tried to convince me Michael Jackson is related to her and she knew trivia about him. One day she tapped me in the hall and said it was Michael and he just walked by.

I have also played naive to piss people off so they leave me alone and guess what, it worked.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

21 Dec 2008, 5:29 pm

the only concrete formula i use to judging what someones said online as being the truth or not is actually proving it. lets remember just because someone sais something over and over again and they match doesnt mean its the truth. that just means there consistant, for instance i can get on here and say i swam in the king of saudia arabias pool last weekend, say it, over and over again but it doesnt mean its the truth. if you would like to say extrodinary things online like you've been struck by lightning offer proof. otherwise its nothing but a consistant lie

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 5:46 pm

richardbenson wrote:
gullibale- easily deceived or cheated.
niave- having or showing a lack of experience, judgment, or information; credulous: She's so naive she believes everything she reads. He has a very naive attitude toward politics.

OBVIOUSLY, given that description, which probably IS close, they ARE slightly different.

Naive basically means ignorant and/or lacking wisdom.

Gullible basically means easily tricked.

So you can be Gullable even if you aren't naive(Like arrogant people that have it used against them).

You can ALSO be naive, but not gullible. Ford and Warren buffet have ADMITTED that they were naive, but they certainly aren't gullible. Ford hired OTHERS to help him. Buffet STAYED AWAY from a lot of things until recently. THAT is why it took him SO long to go into ANYTHING electronic. For the longest time, he concentrated on things like food and insurance. HECK, buffet even has a lot of the BASIC things handled by another.

I believe gullable is derived from guile, and guile means:

Quote:
1: deceitful cunning : duplicity
2obsolete : stratagem , trick

So people doing the shell game, etc... often have guile, and the people that believe so strongly that they will win are gullable. Still, they DO know that things can be done to cheat them.

I was a little bit of each earlier. When I bought my last home, I asked some "stupid"(by MY reckoning) questions. I asked one like 6 times, and NEVER got an answer. I probably should have reacted harsher to the lack of attention. I found the answer out 8 months later the HARD way. I ALSO bought a few things based on testimonials, though I KNOW about the conspiracy such have to have testimonials. USUALLY, they are false. As for the naive part, there used to be the idea like the time I bought the "remote controlled" VCR. I had no knowledge about how some remote controls worked. Prior to that, I thought all remote controls were wireless(LED, ultrasonic, or radio).

BTW, for those that don't know, DON'T believe reviews unless there is more than one, and it is on a company offering physical non info products from another supplier. A lot of companies that appear big are TINY! A lot of info products, etc... are sold by people that get together and cross sell products. The first reviews may be written by the creator or the company.

HECK, one person became famous for having a book that became an Amazon bestseller in 24 hours! That was a LIE! SOME would take umbrage with my comment. After all, his book DID get on the amazon best seller list within 24 hours of being listed. Still, it was NOT a "best selling book". The TRUTH is that he offered THOUSANDS of people a big profit and bonuses for driving people to a site that GAVE AWAY one of his best selling products FOR FREE if they paid a fraction of the price for the book from amazon. So MOST books are sold based on the promise of the book, and the people may buy a week or two later, or even forget about it. THIS book was sold based not only on IT'S promise, but on all the bonuses, and it was valid for only one day, so everyone bought at once. But that is just a small sample of the conspiracies that go on every day, and how things may not be as they appear.

BESIDES, best SELLING implies people PAID for it. The BONUS cost far more than the book, so the book was basically FREE! NOW, almost a decade later, that is STILL remembered, and he STILL flaunts it. Obviously, THAT is why he did what once seemed a silly thing.

The interesting thing is that it is like the old scam of "Pay me a dollar to find out how to become rich". You send the money in and get back a message saying "Just do what I just did!"!