why do aspies look like like theyre on drugs?

Page 2 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

brightlined
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Dec 2008, 12:22 am

When I was in college, I used to get asked all of the time if I was high (specifically pot, which I've never smoked in my life). I had longer hair at the time, which didn't help.

Most of the time, it came when someone I knew was walking in my direction and I looked away instead of making eye contact. Usually, I either pretended like I was thinking about something or that I didn't see them (mostly when I wasn't in the mood for chit-chat, which was most of the time). I think most who saw me equated that as me being "spaced out".

It doesn't happen much anymore, but I'm rarely in that kind of situation. The only similar situation now is when I'm at my desk - people come to chat with me, and I typically look back toward my monitor (avoiding eye contact). I can't tell you how often someone asks me if they've caught me in the middle of something when they really haven't.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 1:23 am

I remember just walking around my neigbourhood and this old guy accused me of being drunk or on drugs. I was just to nervous to talk to him.
People make comments about my lack of face expression and vacant gaze all the time.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 1:45 am

People telling me that they think that I am drugged when I am not - yes, this has happened to me... Later, it occurred to me that as I was expected to look drugged, that if drugged for real no one would notice, and they did not.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 2:10 am

Nights_Like_These wrote:
DwightF wrote:
garyww wrote:
Do I look like I'm on drugs? (See avatar for example).

Not necessarily at the time of the picture. But when I first saw that picture I immediately mentally jotted down "he has experience in chasing the White Rabbit". :o There is something very "I've been there and done that, kid" about that picture.

He definitely looks like someone who may have been a hippie at one point (or still is) :D And i mean that as a good thing!

I thought he looked like Mark Twain.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 2:18 am

I almost forgot one occasion. I was living on a military base, and I went out for cigarettes at like midnight one night. The closest store opened was like a mini mart a couple of blocks from the gate on base. So, I go there, and I see an MP following behind and they go to the mini mart too. I go to the counter and order my cigarettes with an MP behind me (and I even remember his name). Then I leave and proceed to the gate to get back on, and they were behind me by about a minute. The guy at the gate asked me to pull over to be searched. I assumed it was a random search until he said, "yeah, I know it's aweful, but the guys driving around told me they saw you smoking and they didn't know what it was." I said "if he were smart or observant at all, he'd know it was a Marlboro light 100 from a box considering he was standing right behind me when I purchased them. would you like one?" It's funny too, I was once talking to an MP friend of mine, and he was saying how he hates that people thinks cops are stupid. I told him, well MPs are MPs because they didn't score that high on the ASVAB. :lol:

Oh yeah, my friends prefer me drunk than sober. I think it's because I let loose and relax, and I get amused easily, even by stupid conversations.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 3:02 am

Avoidance of eye contact, stimming, apparent ignoring of social cues - all could spectrum or chemically affected.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 3:09 am

makuranososhi wrote:
Avoidance of eye contact, stimming, apparent ignoring of social cues - all could spectrum or chemically affected.

No, stimming doesn't make people look drugged - it makes them look like they just got off the shortbus.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 3:17 am

MemberSix wrote:
makuranososhi wrote:

No, stimming doesn't make people look drugged - it makes them look like they just got off the shortbus.

First, rather inappropriate. Secondly, depending on the form of stim, they can appear to be on a variety of medications including stimulants and hallucinogens.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 3:26 am

@MemberSix Tweakers can look like they're stimming.

The last sort of relationship I was involved in, I was told to clean up as I looked like a stoner. Have never smoked a joint in my life. :lol:

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 3:47 am

makuranososhi wrote:
MemberSix wrote:
makuranososhi wrote:

First, rather inappropriate.

Sorry, I don't understand why.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 4:36 am

do they?
with all due respect, i would query that. i looked at a whole host of photos of aspies in the intro section of WP and my feeling is we look like a normal cross-section of the population. this explodes some myths concerning archetypal aspie presentations....and i am happy about that. we range from looking super-straight through to super-bent. that is a good thing. HAHA - the stereotypical assumptions break down yet again.

8O

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 5:20 am

I use drugs and my dealer say's I don't look like a druggie.
You really can't tell. Some people that don't use look like they do and some people that do look like they don't. I am aspie btw.

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 6:29 am

BellaDonna wrote:
I use drugs and my dealer say's I don't look like a druggie.
You really can't tell. Some people that don't use look like they do and some people that do look like they don't. I am aspie btw.

'Looking like a druggie' is not what was meant by 'being on drugs'.
You can still be of respectable appearance but come across like you're 'on drugs'.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 6:40 am

gramirez wrote:
Prescription drugs? Cause half of them are...

Was just going to say that. :wink:

TXaspie
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2008, 6:49 am

hale_bopp wrote:
gramirez wrote:
Prescription drugs? Cause half of them are...

Was just going to say that. :wink:

Antidepressants can cause pupil dialation.(antidepressants are terrible, it's better to learn to live life without this phoney state of being)

Stimulants and psychedelics both cause dialation of the pupil so that sucks for them.

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 7:03 am

I don't think accusations of 'being on drugs' are about physical attributes - or lack of eye contact (people on drugs don't have eye-contact issues).

I believe it's mostly about choice of off-beat conversational subject matter, lack of facial expressivity, perhaps atypical vocal expression - but as much as any of this, a simple means of saying 'you're weird' ... personally, I'd rather someone just told me I was weird than spread vicious rumours that I'm on narcotics - which raises all kinds of other issues.