Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

BryceEason
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Dec 2008, 12:10 am

Why do I feel like there's no point in my life? I dropped out of college a couple years ago and now I have a low pay work at home job. I feel good whenever I'm working, but when I'm not I feel like my life is pointless. I'm afraid I'm gonna be living at home forever and never have any friends or nothing. How can I get over this period of my life? I just feel worthless.

I don't have any friends to do things with and I'm really just in my room 24/7 just about on the computer or sleeping. I need help :(

caramateo
Toucan
Toucan

25 Dec 2008, 12:16 am

You could take online classes and earn a degree.
If you are feeling down you could try some therapy.
I've done it and it has helped me. I'm 33 and I have a BA degree and for many years I was feeling useless, now I'm working and getting better. I owe all this to going to therapy.

earthdweller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Dec 2008, 1:04 am

You probably shouldn't worry too much about what other people are doing.

I posted last time on your last post that had to do with what you were saying. I used to think about suicide many times when I was a teenager. I wouldn't ever blame myself for feeling that way. You may always have a untoward veiw of life. I probably will always have some of that feeling.

I thought that I could see that there was no way out. I used to think things would never change: I used to think that even a year ago. It seemed like my pointless life was going in circles. But those are perceptions that teenagers can have and it can even get a little worse at certain times in early twenties. But I am closer to the age 25 and my age makes things better because it is close to 25 yrs old.

I thought that it was because of a.d.d symptoms had to go away. And I do feel better able to concentrate at this age. It does feel like concentration is becoming a lot more easier.

Just think to yourself and I know this for a fact about my life: "people think good of me." My teachers at school once did and my case-worker does. So you can tell yourself that.

Some people who detect a lot of error in their lives are obsessive complusive analytical people so that could be your problem too. You're just very analytical and obsessive over how things are and what things will be like in the future.

Last edited by earthdweller on 25 Dec 2008, 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Dec 2008, 1:13 am

Sometimes the best thing you can do is to try and find someone else who needs some help and do some service work, like volunteering with homeless people or helping out the local survival center. It will bring you out of yourself and give you a sense of purpose. And you'll be dealing with people who are having a difficult time, just as you are, so you won't feel like you're the only one for miles who doesn't have it together. I really like doing those kinds of things, because otherwise I kind of fold into myself and lose perspective.

Therapy is great, too, as someone else said. I would definitely go for that. It helped me work through lots of blocks and old patterns and self loathing and all those wonderful things.

oblio
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 1 Observatree Close, Pointless Forest, Low Countries

25 Dec 2008, 1:15 am

maybe join in a bit more often...?

but i know exactly what you mean

in the back of your mind you're aware and afraid of the likelihood things will remain as they are (even if unpleasant),
also because you resent change at a deep level - this is all autistic -
which means (you know) that you're envisaging a life consistent of to work (maybe out of the home) or not to work

and for what: for precisely where you are - so why bother

it's like having to rely on benefits: you know you ought to be grateful - but have very little to be grateful for in the overall picture
so you do not feel grateful (the less so if you are autistic) - so you couldn't even say you're grateful

i puts you one turn of thought away from the road to suicide from boredom from pointlessness to achieve nothingness

(i bet you're stimming a LOT)

you need action, any action, preferably physical - the dishes will do for a first step

spending one's FREE TIME is maybe the main problem in an autistic life

i have never related to people in a manner that promised any form of enduring intimacy,
i do not gain anything lastingly emotional from social contact
so i find it tiresome and very soon boring, so do not really benefit from it

i have always observed that there is only one things worse than being alone, and that is not being being alone

HOWEVER
i have always played hockey (up to around 35) and switched to cricket - to which i shall return once i will finally be back on my feet, which is not in the foreseeable future;
and i always disliked having to go out training, and hated having to pull myself together, change, and get my sorry ass out there

but once you get past the getting going - there IS action, you ARE in it, you HAVE a function - even if only training
and not doing the real thing; that will be next saturday

a social hobby rests on a calendar, it gives you social obligations, positively phrased: it provides a structure of action

by joining, you agree = promise to be a part of things
that means you take on the responsibility of at least showing up
basically, you can give yourself a kip up the backside by joining a team

the good thing is: it also gives you a chance to DO things with people in stead of TALK with them
ofcourse you will have to go through some empty vocalities and contribute yours,
but the event would go on even if you'd lost your voice

so: what are your points of quality and/or possible interest...

ANY ACTION WILL DO

may your god forgive you