Does exercise and healthy diet make you feel better at all?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Qi
Raven
Raven

02 Jan 2009, 6:41 am

I know it doesn't affect me in the slightest. I don't understand why.

ThisIsNotMyRealName
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jan 2009, 6:45 am

Qi wrote:
I know it doesn't affect me in the slightest. I don't understand why.

Makes a MAJOR difference to me.

Eating junk food makes me feel crud.

Try a fortnight of eating natural foods only - and you'll realise how many days you lose to feeling crud due to diet.

If you hate exercise, then you won't be inclined to trying to assess how much better it makes you feel.

I'm fortunate in that I really enjoy exercise - so I'm aware of how much better it makes me feel, function and look.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 6:54 am

ThisIsNotMyRealName wrote:

Try a fortnight of eating natural foods only - and you'll realise how many days you lose to feeling crud due to diet.

If you hate exercise, then you won't be inclined to trying to assess how much better it makes you feel.

I'm fortunate in that I really enjoy exercise - so I'm aware of how much better it makes me feel, function and look.

I feel the same way. I can't even drink soda anymore, it makes me feel like I just poured a bunch of sticky gunk in my stomach.

ThisIsNotMyRealName
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jan 2009, 7:08 am

Atomsk wrote:

I feel the same way. I can't even drink soda anymore, it makes me feel like I just poured a bunch of sticky gunk in my stomach.

Well, I was thinking less of the immediate, subjective reaction to consuming junk food than things like avoiding the blood-sugar rollercoaster and not waking up feeling like shi'ite.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 7:19 am

Atomsk wrote:

Well, I was thinking less of the immediate, subjective reaction to consuming junk food than things like avoiding the blood-sugar rollercoaster and not waking up feeling like shi'ite.

Well, I get that as well too. I just mentioned the soda one because that one came to mind first.

Edit: Adding in that these changes of feeling better really don't take place for a week or two, your body has to get used to the new way of doing things, and it has to flush out all the bad stuff that you've been eating.

Qi
Raven
Raven

02 Jan 2009, 7:24 am

I don't understand it. I have unexplainable moodswings that apparently have nothing to do with my diet. I thought the 'eat good and exercise' solution was a neurotypical thing.

Or maybe it does make me feel better, except that I'm unaware of it. I don't know. I tried noticing a difference, and failed. Going out every day and eating the same junkfood makes me feel good.

In fact, when I eat some healthy food which I'm not very fond of, I feel disgusted for the rest of the day. I'm starting to think it's all psychological crap that doesn't work for me. The happiest days of my life were in college, in which I had terrible diet every day, and never even thought of my nutritious needs.

ThisIsNotMyRealName
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jan 2009, 8:46 am

Qi wrote:
I don't understand it. I have unexplainable moodswings that apparently have nothing to do with my diet. I thought the 'eat good and exercise' solution was a neurotypical thing.

Or maybe it does make me feel better, except that I'm unaware of it. I don't know. I tried noticing a difference, and failed. Going out every day and eating the same junkfood makes me feel good.

In fact, when I eat some healthy food which I'm not very fond of, I feel disgusted for the rest of the day. I'm starting to think it's all psychological crap that doesn't work for me. The happiest days of my life were in college, in which I had terrible diet every day, and never even thought of my nutritious needs.

If you think that good diet and exercise are NT things, you need to read a basic biology book.

Diet and exercise are beneficial to your general physical and mental well-being.
The benefits to your AS are purely cascading ones from general good health.
There's no DIRECT benefit to your AS.
I have no idea why people think that there would be.

A lot of Aspies have pretty impaired sensitivities - which renders them insensitive to physical and emotional sensations, aswell as other cerebral/thought processes.

Since your weathervane is non-operational, you'd do well to safeguard your health and functionality by exercising and eating well.

Health isn't about 'feeling great' (that's just a bonus for the aware) - most of it's below-the-line.
Those who have an almost anti-health attitude should be the ones making the greatest effort, on the basis that 1% success from a 100% effort is better than 100% of zero effort.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Jan 2009, 8:58 am

Qi wrote:

I had similar experience, going from years of take-outs/pizzas etc to eating brown bread, salads, etc, but then discovered that is because I am gluten/wheat-intolerant, ( and casein-sensitive ). Eating wholegrains/foods often makes things seem worse, because are still getting some of the "offending food(s)", but not enough to keep up the "high". Junk foods are predominantly made up of dairy, sugar, and refined-wheat, keeping one on a sort of unstable/shaky high, ( so long as your system is not completely exhausted/burned-out already from years of food-fixes ).

Try cutting out gluten/wheat and rye, and/or dairy/casein for a week or two. The mood swings may be related. Food intolerance often causes depression, mood-disorders etc, aswell as the physical cruddy feelings of gut inflammation, headaches, constant colds, etc.

Good luck. ( don't be put off by a couple of days of feeling suddenly worse; withdrawal symptoms are normal )

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 9:37 am

My GP recommends healthy diet and exercise, and so does Mom. Taking the spoon out of the cup before taking a sip also comes highly recommended by most medical organizations.

Qi
Raven
Raven

02 Jan 2009, 9:55 am

Quote:
If you think that good diet and exercise are NT things, you need to read a basic biology book.
Of course that's not what I said. I was merely wondering if this was the NTs' way of relieving depression and such. Everytime I'm not feeling so good they tell me to exercise and eat well.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 10:12 am

Qi wrote:
Quote:
Of course that's not what I said. I was merely wondering if this was the NTs' way of relieving depression and such. Everytime I'm not feeling so good they tell me to exercise and eat well.

Perhaps in your case, the mind/body connection is weaker than it should be.

__biro
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jan 2009, 10:22 am

I exercise in the mornings and this clears my mind a bit and seems to help me to concentrate better. It also gets rid of some excess energy that I have. Even if exercising and a healthy diet doesn't help you in the same way it helps me then at least you are being healthy. :D

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 10:30 am

positively. Moderate exercise and a reasonable diet increases one's awareness and energy level.

ruveyn

sillyputty
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 1:00 pm

I don't know how much this is related. But since I've been exercising regularly (3 - 6 days a week for 9 years), I harm myself A LOT less than I did before that time.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 1:06 pm

Healthy diet: Very differently!

I feel a lot more vital after eating vegetables and such.

Exercise: No idea. What's it like to not do sports?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 1:06 pm

Exercise is painful - arthritis, bursitis, and a few other bone- and muscle-related problems.

A "Healthy" diet makes me ill - why does "Healthy" food have to: (1) Have little, if any flavor? (2) Be expensive? (3) Leave me feeling even more hungry after I've eaten it than before? (4) Make me nauseous or give me gas and cramps?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.