Asperger's with OCD in social situations.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Qi
Raven
Raven

06 Jan 2009, 4:44 am

How badly does an Aspie with OCD do in social situations?

In my case it's just terrible. It makes me horribly anxious trying to act perfectly in front of everyone. When someone instructs me to do something, I have to hear him/her repeat the instructions several times, even when it's incredibly obvious. "Put it on the table." "This table?" "There's only one table in the room. What do you think?" Oh I don't know. Maybe he was talking about that desk over there. I wish people would stop verbally instructing me, and just writing it down for me to read over and over.

It's not just following instructions, but sometimes it makes me look extremely confused and clumsy while looking around and trying to find the right seat to sit in for example.

While we're on the subject, how common is OCD among people with Asperger's?

Irada
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jan 2009, 5:47 am

From what I can recall, I think there's a higher prevalence of OCD amongst people with AS than NT's.

Xanderbeanz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 6:08 am

it drives my gf mad...at a party, instead of staying with her for most of the time, i'll go and be all social butterfly, trying to talk to absolutely everyone and making sure they like me...this is largely to do with OCD and my insecurities about being accepted...it's something i have to work on.x

lostinparadise
Raven
Raven

06 Jan 2009, 10:08 am

i dont know how this is related with OCD but i had same experience.i dont understand complex instruction.i canot find anything when i look for things and if i am in a class i dont find a place to seat by looking at the class.someone has to direct me to the seat then i get it.i guess this is beause i lack visual tracking and visual scanning ability.it might be rlt to anxiety too.