Fixing one thing, but then getting a whole new problem...?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 4:49 pm

So i reduced my headbanging a lot, after a couple little fallouts yesterday where one time i slammed my head into my pan so hard a couple times in a row, then the other time slammed my back of my head into the door until i made the door crack, i think mainly because my brother goes back to work today, so new different in routine, but that was sort of a fluke compared to stopping myself from headbanging a couple times everyday like i use to where now i maybe headbang a couple times during the week, i'm doing well with not as much head banging, so proud of myself hehehe :D . Now though my sensory has become chaotic for some odd reason. I hate the feeling of like a wet newspaper for an example sends horrible pain from my toes to my brain(hey that rhymed lol), but i ignore it and pick up the paper anyways, dont let anything stop me, but now its becoming unbearable, im up all night scratchin my skin off from little light touches, that i use to ignore, and i'm craving more and more deep pressure, a hair touches me use to just ignore the pain i get, now its like horrible, my whole body is going through withdraw because im not headbanging as much like wtf, its like all my sensory is protesting with little picket signs saying "headbang or suffer more" lol, so yea anybody else ever fix a problem with yourself then get a whole totally new problem from just fixing that one problem :? ?

Tracker
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 6:38 pm

You could get a helmet, then resume head banging. Although if you do get the helmet, make sure its for something like kick-boxing, the helmets designed for bike riding dont work very well against repeated impact.

Something like this:

http://static-p.arttoday.com/thw/thw13/ ... _0051_l__p

Available at most large sports stores that sell sports equipment.

Also, a mouth guard would be good so you dont bite your tongue. Biting your tongue when you hit your head hurts a lot, I wiped out on my skates and did that once.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 6:41 pm

Maybe head-banging was solving some problem for you, and the problem is now without a solution and bothering you again. Whatever function it had has got to be filled by something else--maybe that's why your sensory processing is bothering you so much; because headbanging helped control it?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 10:40 pm

Callista wrote:
Maybe head-banging was solving some problem for you, and the problem is now without a solution and bothering you again. Whatever function it had has got to be filled by something else--maybe that's why your sensory processing is bothering you so much; because headbanging helped control it?

hmmm maybe, i wasnt as easily stressed by my sensory when i was headbanging, but its def no way of living headbanging, seriously injuryin myself, hmm maybe its time i invest in a weighted hat lol. Thanks callista always love to hear your advice

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jan 2009, 11:19 pm

I've honestly never had such intense sensory issues so my advice might not work, but I think I've experienced that to a lesser degree. Rocking and flapping are my most soothing stims for when I'm stressed, and while I don't always restrain myself in public from doing that, in some situations I have to. This can cause me to lose my train of thought and other things. Usually I try to replace it with one or more stims--while it's not always as effective, sometimes it helps.

Maybe you can find one or more stims to replace the peace you found with headbanging.

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jan 2009, 11:20 pm

Age1600, you're back! So good to see you again! :D

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 3:50 am

Tracker wrote:
You could get a helmet, then resume head banging. Although if you do get the helmet, make sure its for something like kick-boxing, the helmets designed for bike riding dont work very well against repeated impact.

Something like this:

http://static-p.arttoday.com/thw/thw13/ ... _0051_l__p

Available at most large sports stores that sell sports equipment.

Also, a mouth guard would be good so you dont bite your tongue. Biting your tongue when you hit your head hurts a lot, I wiped out on my skates and did that once.

Ohh ive had many helmets, either broke em or chewed em lol, and i cant take straps under my chins idk why because i literally will keep scratchin until the skin is completely gone. Thanks for the idea though and mouth guards i eat also lol verrry oral fixated hahah. I hope ur tongue is better after wiping out on ur skateboard ahhh, i chew my tongue sometimes but left my tongue full of open sores wasnt good, now i make sure something i have near always to chew hehe. anyways thanks for the great advice :)

Ryn wrote:
I've honestly never had such intense sensory issues so my advice might not work, but I think I've experienced that to a lesser degree. Rocking and flapping are my most soothing stims for when I'm stressed, and while I don't always restrain myself in public from doing that, in some situations I have to. This can cause me to lose my train of thought and other things. Usually I try to replace it with one or more stims--while it's not always as effective, sometimes it helps.

Maybe you can find one or more stims to replace the peace you found with headbanging.

Hmm yea maybe ill start going upside down more that seems to help alittle, thanks for the idea!! !

neshamaruach wrote:
Age1600, you're back! So good to see you again! :D

yup :) , good to see ya too, always enjoy reading ur posts!

cataspie
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jan 2009, 6:17 am

Ive been trying to stop pulling my hair out which was a few stims because i liked to twiddle the hair into hair balls and roll them around my fingers, i also enjoyed biting into the hair balls with my cainine teeth. Now im missing the sensory of it being pulled out.
Im now rolling beads between my fingers which leaves me with nothing to bite.
Also have scratched my head to hard with my nails and there are scabs on my head that i cant resist picking.

cataspie
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jan 2009, 6:20 am

I used to chew alot as a child and chewed up lots of wood on my bed and my bedding.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 7:21 am

Cool Age! I've been trying much the same for the past months, to stop my head-banging.

Now that you ask about this, I wonder about a new behaviour I developed. I've started to scratch myself like mad especially when I'm distressed, worried, have too much nervous energy etc. and especially the inside of my elbows.

I didn't connect the two before now. Not sure if they are connected at all, but thanks anyway for making me aware of that there might be a connection.