Sensory things that drive you nuts that no one else gets...

Page 3 of 11 [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next

DwightF
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2009, 9:45 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
Ooh..another one!...Atonal humming...Humming out of tune and with no melody... :? grrrrrrrr......

My young son, who is on the spectrum, just loathes people singing out of tune. Especially if it's a group of people singing poorly. Accordions? Bag pipes? Fiddles? No problem. Dad trying to sing, or even just speaking the words of the song? RIGHT OUT! He used to meltdown within seconds if he couldn't get away or make it stop. Now he's got a handle on that and just hates it.

He has trouble with jet engines too, even at a huge distance so they are faint that most people used to urban noise wouldn't even notice them. Occasionally other mechanical sounds too, like the sound of this one particular kid's roller coaster operating set him off too. Though most of the rides weren't a problem at all. On the other hand when he was quite young, maybe 1 1/2, a Harley Davidson motorcycle drove past and the whump, whump, whump of the exhaust had him absolutely giggling. *shrug* I wonder if that's my sensitivity to high frequency sounds is something that's he's inherited? On the other hand

Last edited by DwightF on 10 Jan 2009, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 9:47 pm

KazigluBey wrote:
Cool water in the shower. Not cold, but cool and even in the summertime. When I was 17 I went to El Salvador with a church group and we had to take showers where the water was cool. Pretty much everyone else did fine, when I tried to get in I couldn't breathe. I ended up standing to the side and splashing small amounts of water on me in order to shower.

Here's a weird one that happens fairly often and I'll try and explain it to the best of my ability (if someone knows what this is called I'd appreciate it):

Sometimes an idea of an event might come across my mind and my body will feel like it's really happening and cause me to be severely uncomfortable.

For instance, I was in a customer's facility recently (factory) and a fork truck drove by. The thought crossed my mind how it would really hurt if it ran over my foot. For the next couple of minutes my foot became overwhelmingly uncomfortable as if I could actually feel it happening. I kept shifting my foot inside my shoe as if I was trying to move it away from being crushed.

Most of the time this happens it with my eyes. I'll happen to see a pencil tip and get the uncomfortable feeling that the pencil tip is pressing on my eye to the point I can't look at the tip and looking away only brings minimal relief.

Stuff like that doesn't happen very often and is pretty short lived, but a complete nuisance when it does happen.

Almost any time I see a knife I can feel it impaling me, or hitting my eyes. So yeah, I know what you mean with the forklift, don't know what thats called though.

As for the shower thing, I love a hot shower, very hot and almost hot enough to burn me. I can be in the shower for up to an hour at a time. If it is cold, it is almost like I am being attacked by the water, even cool water hurts in the shower. Slightly warm is ok though. I just hate the sensation of water on my hands, and cold water in general.

Airborne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jan 2009, 12:52 am

Padium wrote:

Almost any time I see a knife I can feel it impaling me, or hitting my eyes. So yeah, I know what you mean with the forklift, don't know what thats called though.
I play airsoft (similar to paintball) in which we simulate war were we shoot replica firearms at each other, the projectiles are rather harmless simply plastic spheres but I almost always have at least 3 night mares about me playing and forgeting to wear eye protection and no one listening to me and them shooting my eyes out. Kind of scares me....but I still play lately they have gone away.
As for the shower thing, I love a hot shower, very hot and almost hot enough to burn me. I can be in the shower for up to an hour at a time. If it is cold, it is almost like I am being attacked by the water, even cool water hurts in the shower. Slightly warm is ok though. I just hate the sensation of water on my hands, and cold water in general.
I like REALLY hot showers as well. If its even the slightest less than really hot I will leave and wait for the hot water to get back.

Quote:
The sound of a stapler bothers me as well as other items creating a similar sound. The odd thing is, this isn't all the time; most of the time I am fine, but every so often the clicking of it bothers me something fierce.

Beyond that I don't think I have any issues with sound beyond what might be considered reasonably average.

Cool water in the shower. Not cold, but cool and even in the summertime. When I was 17 I went to El Salvador with a church group and we had to take showers where the water was cool. Pretty much everyone else did fine, when I tried to get in I couldn't breathe. I ended up standing to the side and splashing small amounts of water on me in order to shower.

Here's a weird one that happens fairly often and I'll try and explain it to the best of my ability (if someone knows what this is called I'd appreciate it):

Sometimes an idea of an event might come across my mind and my body will feel like it's really happening and cause me to be severely uncomfortable.

For instance, I was in a customer's facility recently (factory) and a fork truck drove by. The thought crossed my mind how it would really hurt if it ran over my foot. For the next couple of minutes my foot became overwhelmingly uncomfortable as if I could actually feel it happening. I kept shifting my foot inside my shoe as if I was trying to move it away from being crushed.
This happens to me, I basically day dream a terrible event and I feel the emotion that comes with it to 100% as if it were real. Like I could imagine an bad event and cry from it, I used it once to fake cry but I just ended up feeling sad for the rest of the day. I also feel pain in my dreams, my dreams are sometimes violent too which depending on if I get hurt in them can make sleeping stressful.

Most of the time this happens it with my eyes. I'll happen to see a pencil tip and get the uncomfortable feeling that the pencil tip is pressing on my eye to the point I can't look at the tip and looking away only brings minimal relief.

Stuff like that doesn't happen very often and is pretty short lived, but a complete nuisance when it does happen.

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 6:29 am

A lot of people think I'm just being silly when I complain if my socks feel uncomfortable because of lumps, texture etc. but I'm really sensitive when it comes to socks, I'm not just being silly.

craola
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jan 2009, 7:52 am

There are not many foods that I like there are very few foods I can eat, mostly because of the texture. The only foods that have never changed are chocolate and cucumber. Everyone is always just saying just try it or make yourself eat it but I physically cannot, it makes me shivery to think about it.

Voices, whistling and out of tune singing both of them I can't take, I can stay in the room for a bit but the noise it makes my feet curl and sort of hurts my chest...that's the best way to describe it, it doesn't just physically hurt my ears.

Sneezing I can't take either, or heavy breathing/snoring I get told off for being really unsympathetic.

Ticking, much like everyone else although if its in a room where lots of people are talking it doesn't always stand out, voices always take over smaller noises. I don't like digital clocks though, I find it hard to tell the time, I collect broken pocket watches as well :)

Labels in clothing, waterproof clothing sounds, wool...I don't like clothes.

AnnieK
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jan 2009, 8:22 am

I'm so glad about this thread. For a long time I thought I was the only one with these issues. I'm especially particular about analogue clocks (as already mentioned) - the ticking drives me insane - and people eating loudly. Another thing is quick rapid movements in my peripheral vision. I also have the issues with lumps in my socks :)

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 8:41 am

DeLoreanDude wrote:
A lot of people think I'm just being silly when I complain if my socks feel uncomfortable because of lumps, texture etc. but I'm really sensitive when it comes to socks, I'm not just being silly.

Oh, ditto here. When I wear socks, I often have to stop walking and pull at them. I hate it.

Other things...
Younger kids talking/giggling/shrieking, ect.
All the gross sensations that come with washing dishes. (add enough noises to the mix [while I'm washing dishes], and chances are, I'll have a meltdown.)
Lotion on my hands (I can tolerate it on most other body parts, but not on my hands!)
Clothing tags (common along the spectrum, I know... but most other people just don't get it, for some reason.)
Other people whistling and/or humming
Some eatting noises (slurping, loud crunchs, gnashing, ect.)
The sound dishes and/or silverware make when something is clicked against it. (Ding! Click-clack! Uggh!)
Lasagna (pretty much everything about it makes me want to puke. Which is weird, because I eat everything in it [except meat, but that point is null because it can be made meatless]. But I can't eat lasagna.)
Ect, ect.

Flavors of: Nobody. Slytherin. Autistic.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 8:46 am

BelindatheNobody wrote:
DeLoreanDude wrote:

Oh, ditto here. When I wear socks, I often have to stop walking and pull at them. I hate it.

Other things...
Younger kids talking/giggling/shrieking, ect.
All the gross sensations that come with washing dishes. (add enough noises to the mix [while I'm washing dishes], and chances are, I'll have a meltdown.)
Lotion on my hands (I can tolerate it on most other body parts, but not on my hands!)
Clothing tags (common along the spectrum, I know... but most other people just don't get it, for some reason.)
Other people whistling and/or humming
Some eatting noises (slurping, loud crunchs, gnashing, ect.)
The sound dishes and/or silverware make when something is clicked against it. (Ding! Click-clack! Uggh!)
Lasagna (pretty much everything about it makes me want to puke. Which is weird, because I eat everything in it [except meat, but that point is null because it can be made meatless]. But I can't eat lasagna.)
Ect, ect.

all that.

I love lasagne though.

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 8:46 am

BelindatheNobody wrote:
DeLoreanDude wrote:

Exactly! I have to work hard to find perfect socks that I dont need to always be pulling up.

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 8:49 am

DeLoreanDude wrote:
BelindatheNobody wrote:
DeLoreanDude wrote:

Exactly! I have to work hard to find perfect socks that I dont need to always be pulling up.

Yeah. It's why I don't wear them much, myself. When I do... they have to be ankle-highs, and not loose. Loose socks are a nightmare. And I often have to wear them inside-out (because of the toe seam).

anna-banana wrote:
I love lasagne though.

You monster! :o (Just kidding.)

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 8:53 am

BelindatheNobody wrote:
DeLoreanDude wrote:
BelindatheNobody wrote:
DeLoreanDude wrote:

Yeah. It's why I don't wear them much, myself. When I do... they have to be ankle-highs, and not loose. Loose socks are a nightmare. And I often have to wear them inside-out (because of the toe seam).

I wear them all the time (whenever I have shoes on, anyway) but I also need to have the long ones and they need to be tight as well.

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 8:59 am

^I wear sandles whenever I can get away with it. I love those.
Hate flip-flops, though. *Shudder*

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 9:00 am

BelindatheNobody wrote:
^I wear sandles whenever I can get away with it. I love those.
Hate flip-flops, though. *Shudder*

I dont mind either of them, but unfortunatly it's farrrrr too cold to ever get to wear them!

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 9:04 am

One of the reasons I hate New England winters. :evil: Then again, I'm indoors most of the time these days... so I suppose that it doesn't matter much in my case. *Shrug* *Wiggles toes in slippers* :heart:

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 9:09 am

BelindatheNobody wrote:
One of the reasons I hate New England winters. :evil: Then again, I'm indoors most of the time these days... so I suppose that it doesn't matter much in my case. *Shrug* *Wiggles toes in slippers* :heart:

It's even worse here in normal England :D

I'm not wearing socks, shoes or anything now... OK, I don't literally mean that, I mean nothing on my feet, dont get the wrong idea! :P

My feet are not that sensitive to temperature so it doent matter in my own house, even when I walk on tiles.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 9:11 am

probably tight clothes or bumpy socks, if theres a bump in my socks or something like that I go really mad and start stamping my foot on the floor and swear

people cracking their fingers or when people do that weird chokey noise when clearing their throat, so my friend purposly does that to annoy me

Or when speakers or microphones malfunction and they do that "kcccckwreeeeeee" noise, ugh it goes through me!