Sensory things that drive you nuts that no one else gets...

Page 8 of 11 [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

ReGiFroFoLa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jan 2009, 8:44 am

Yeh, Im very sensitive to sounds and lights... Sometimes the slightest sounds irritate me. I can't stand buzzing radiator or lamp. And it kills me the sound that is made by phone charger... Also telly is sometimes hurting my eyes, sso I don't watch it very often...

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 9:00 am

Bright lights (not just fluorescent) are the prime example for me. I just cannot get how everybody else isn't bothered by them, and they think that I'm exaggerating. :roll: I have lots of other sensory issues, but lights are the best example of one sensory issue that others don't even blink an eye at.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

notbrianna
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jan 2009, 3:02 pm

I can't stand computer noises. I always keep the volume on my computer off and when I ask the person who borrowed it if they remembered to turn the volume back off they always seem surly.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 5:16 pm

How about when a flock of about 1000 crows are outside your window and won't shut their beaks. And I have had roughly that many outside my window many times this year... Atleast 300 for sure.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 5:18 pm

Itchy legs when I go out for a walk. My legs will begin to itch, and then become so damned irritating that it feels like hundreds of fleas are biting me.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 5:40 pm

samtoo wrote:
Itchy legs when I go out for a walk. My legs will begin to itch, and then become so damned irritating that it feels like hundreds of fleas are biting me.

I once scratched myself till i bled because I was itchy.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Jan 2009, 9:05 pm

Here is a list of things that really bother me---and others don't understand why they bother me so much:

(As with most us on the autistic spectrum, loud noises and bright lights bother me a lot)

Here are some specific things:

Someone slurping soup or a hot beverage
Shaking a drink in a can or bottle, or shaking any other liquid type substance like paints, etc.
Loud sneezes
Rattling dishes, banging pots and pans
Repetitive vocal noises (goofy laughing like Spongebob, etc.)
Billy Mays (oxy clean guy) and the Sham Wow guy
A song that has been edited/clipped for something like a commercial (where they abbreviate down a passage of the song)
The telephone ringing---especially when I don't want to be bothered
People who pat me on the back or touch me in a way beyond the handshake (such as at church)
At a seminar, or other educational setting, where group work is expected
People that get too close to me physically---I like my space
Loud talking, loud laughing

And there are more, but these come to mind quickly.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 9:13 pm

glider18 wrote:
Here is a list of things that really bother me---and others don't understand why they bother me so much:

(As with most us on the autistic spectrum, loud noises and bright lights bother me a lot)

Here are some specific things:

Someone slurping soup or a hot beverage
Shaking a drink in a can or bottle, or shaking any other liquid type substance like paints, etc.
Loud sneezes
Rattling dishes, banging pots and pans
Repetitive vocal noises (goofy laughing like Spongebob, etc.)
Billy Mays (oxy clean guy) and the Sham Wow guy
A song that has been edited/clipped for something like a commercial (where they abbreviate down a passage of the song)
The telephone ringing---especially when I don't want to be bothered
People who pat me on the back or touch me in a way beyond the handshake (such as at church)
At a seminar, or other educational setting, where group work is expected
People that get too close to me physically---I like my space
Loud talking, loud laughing

And there are more, but these come to mind quickly.

Only thing that is not on my list is the slurping, although it is slowly becoming more annoying, and the shaking liquids, I don't mind myself shaking liquids, although if others do it excessivly it is annoying.

Isthisreal
Raven
Raven

14 Jan 2009, 10:12 pm

I can't stand having dry skin on my hands. I have to lotion up after every hand washing. I hate touching things that will dry them out.
I also can't stand sticking my hands in dishwater. Just the thought of touching something gooey in there is too much for me.

My god, I hate a ringing telephone!! It's like it's shocking to hear. I am immediately upset at whoever called.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 10:22 pm

Isthisreal wrote:
I can't stand having dry skin on my hands. I have to lotion up after every hand washing. I hate touching things that will dry them out.
I also can't stand sticking my hands in dishwater. Just the thought of touching something gooey in there is too much for me.

My god, I hate a ringing telephone!! It's like it's shocking to hear. I am immediately upset at whoever called.

Wow, all of that describes me sooo well.

Working in fast food, my hands would dry to the point of bleeding.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 10:30 pm

Isthisreal wrote:

Ugh, me too! I have a patch of dry skin on my hand that is driving me mad. I can't put any cream on it because I have broken skin from where I scratched last night. I can only use a few creams too. I've got very sensitive skin.
I really hate sticking my hands in dishwater, but wearing gloves is no better. After I wash the dishes I make sure I wash my hands with the soap in the bathroom, with clean water and make sure I don't dry them too much. I also hate when food ends up in dishwater, ew, and the smell of meat while washing a pot or pan.

I hate some phone rings. The one my doctor has is particularly annoying. My phone at home sounds more like a bird squawking but I've gotten used to it.

I was in a supermarket today and the many faces and noises were making me feel ill, to the point where my vision blurred, despite wearing glasses. My legs were also moving in an odd way. It's also an extremely hot day today, so that may have made it worse.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 10:50 pm

pensieve wrote:
but wearing gloves is no better.

I actually did some research on the sense of touch, inevitably by reading national geographic, I found that becuase of how touch works, your hands still experience the sensations through the gloves. For example "wet" is a combintion of cold and higher pressure than air pressure. Those two things give you a feeling of wetness. Warm water doesn't have the same feeling of wetness. If you take a cold spoon and put it on someone who does not see the spoon, they will think you put water on them. I also hate the wet hands thing, and noone understands that. I have had some of these issues since I was a kid, and mostly only recently learned how to start verbalizing them. Anyways, because you can still feel temperature and pressure through gloves, you still actually feel the water.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 11:37 pm

Padium wrote:
pensieve wrote:
but wearing gloves is no better.

I actually did some research on the sense of touch, inevitably by reading national geographic, I found that becuase of how touch works, your hands still experience the sensations through the gloves. For example "wet" is a combintion of cold and higher pressure than air pressure. Those two things give you a feeling of wetness. Warm water doesn't have the same feeling of wetness. If you take a cold spoon and put it on someone who does not see the spoon, they will think you put water on them. I also hate the wet hands thing, and noone understands that. I have had some of these issues since I was a kid, and mostly only recently learned how to start verbalizing them. Anyways, because you can still feel temperature and pressure through gloves, you still actually feel the water.

Wow, that's very interesting.

People don't understand my sensory issues or believe them because I always kept quiet about them. Now that I know why they're there I don't keep it to myself anymore.

halfawake
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jan 2009, 11:50 pm

When I was a child I couldn't stand it to have dirty hands. This isn't a problem anymore as long as the dirt is in some way still wet.

I can't stand it when

• someone is eating something crunchy out of a plastic bag (e.g. potato chips).
  • someone pats me on the back
  • someone blows their nose...
  • my doorbell rings. It's an annoying buzzing sound.
  • the telephone rings
  • people close their car doors with as much force as they can manage. Especially when I am still inside.
  • someone uses an electric or gasoline powered lawn mower
  • I hear muffled voices (like from a far away TV)

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 11:55 pm

i can't concentrate when my hands are dry. it's like a mosquito flying near my ear.

people eating and slurping things reeeaaallly bothers me. i have to leave the room when someone is eating because i feel i might explode.

the word ointment angers me. the sound of it just...gah!

the sound of a person passing gas makes my fist clench and my mind whirl

when people keep their shoes on when they are inside of a relaxing living area(for example, a home). it makes me feel anxious. also, hearing shoes clapping and clomping in the house is a bother.

when something drop on the ground. so annoying. so loud.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 12:38 am

Back on dishwashing: what really causes me pain is after I do the dishes and I can still fell the soap on my hands. Also, I find my face starts to itch like crazy, as if ants are running across it. It does this even though no part of my face comes into contact with the water.
Make the pain stop :(