Sensory things that drive you nuts that no one else gets...

Page 11 of 11 [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 5:54 am

I was at a gig recently and the noise, together with seeing too many people and feeling the heat was enough to overload my senses. The noise was horrible though. I was down the front, near the speakers and felt so sick I had to get as far away as possible from them.

Zonder
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 6:17 am

Didn't read the whole thread but maybe a couple of these are new . . .
Bathroom noises. :eew:
The smell of scented candles, some perfumes, and the detergent aisle at the supermarket.
Some deodorants because they make me break out in a rash.
Children crying/screaming.
Ye olde fluorescent lights and some new halogen lights (too bright and with a weird color spectrum).
Being watched while I work.
Socializing.
And . . . of course . . . being touched.

Z

Transplantman
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jan 2009, 2:56 am

Hearing people talk like they have breathing/sinus problems makes me feel like i'm suffocating. My dad breathes through his mouth a lot and his particular sound makes me want to get up and punch him in the face. It's terrible.

Small talk, like hockey stats or prices of food at supermarkets. Depending on the voice speaking, similarily makes me violent.

Almost anything on TV or the radio. Loud commercials, sports announcers, talking really fast, phrases like "No money down", "save on car insurance" "12 goals in the off-season" makes me rage. Sports stats are like nails on a chakboard. the sound of nails on a chalkboard, however doesn't bother me, just the dust under the fingernails. Also, country music, or any music that feels "dirty" or reminds me of riding in a dusty truck. Which is what most country intentionally does.

Dry hands, walking barefoot on carpet, fleece, shag carpet
Touching velvet / seeing or hearing someone scratch velvet is CRIPPLING. If someone wanted to murder me all they would have to do is bring a gun and two guys with velvet pillows scratching them and I would be helpless, writhing in fetal agony on the floor.
Especially velvet under my fingernails or on my teeth, or anything fuzzy or grainy like dirt under my fingernails is absolute torture. Scratching rubber or plastic or skin helps it go away.

I love cold, smooth surfaces. Leather couches, glass, water, lotion. I like to submerge my feet in lotion or wear rubber gloves full of it. I also like cool weather (not cold) and "wet" sounding music. Movies with blue tones and smooth glass visual themes, like Minority Report. I hate anything hot and dry.

Riding in dusty trucks on dusty roads with fuzzy seats with the smell of spilled coffee and lit cigarettes is basically my asperger equivalent of waterboarding. I mostly fold my arms and stick my nose under my t-shirt and close my eyes until we reach the destination and I feel sick for the rest of the day. Unfortunately I grew up in the country where I had to go through a lot of that. A sterile car with NO smell (I also hate air fresheners) and leather seats is very nice, however. Can't afford leather seats and can't keep a car clean, but it's not so bad if it's me driving.

PS: Is it a coincidence that Google Ads on my is showing Vaseline for dry skin or are they that good at targeting you now?

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 12:16 pm

Sweating, it makes me itchy, and depending on the part of the body, can even make me feel pain

Hershel_Numanox
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2009, 4:13 pm

For me it is any kind of constant rythmic or humming sound. This is especially true when I am trying to sleep. If there is any kind of on-going sound I have to get up and stop it or move. Ticking clocks are the worst, even the water pump or the humming of my fridge that is on another floor has been known to keep me awake. When I focus on the sound thats it I just can't seem to let it go.

Like others have mentioned I also have sensitivity to sunlight.

galacticbear
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Jan 2009, 4:25 pm

i really get bothered by repetitive noises when i'm trying to fall asleep, anything from someone else breathing to the sound of blood pumping past my ears really drives me nuts. if i have something to look at it's ok, but i still have trouble falling asleep...my wife like to run the tv when she falls asleep and that keeps me up sometimes with the flickering lights. also sunlight is horrible, i require sunglasses most all the time.

i really enjoy dark rooms and silence, and it kind of creeps people out sometimes, they think i'm depressed or something.

i also don't like getting wet or eating seafood (with some exceptions). anything slimy or some consistency other than solid is bad for me. i also don't like feeling people breathe on me, or the sensations associated with inertia.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 4:39 pm

NT's that talk loudly past 12am when I'm trying to sleep.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 7:07 pm

The sorts of perfume sluts wear.

Parasaurolophuscolobus. Parasaurcolobus. Colobusaurolophus.
....And Nunchucks are my friends.

evil_eyes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Mar 2011, 10:12 pm

A scrapping sound against a certain material. Loud, metallic scrapping sounds too. It hurts, I clap my hands over my ears and it really hurts. I feel a tingle in my chest >_< Though for some reason I have a very weak sense of smell =P

krazykat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Mar 2011, 11:29 pm

I cannot stand anything touching the front of my neck. Certain necklaces and shirt collars make me gag!
Also, I cringe at the sound of markers writing on cardboard.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 11:42 pm

Fingertips touching eachother.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 11:49 pm

Wow - I never really thought I had sensory issues but, reading through this list, I think I might have quite a few. 8O

- sudden high pitch sounds (little girls are the worst)
- the fertilizer aisle at the garden center
- tinny metallic sounds
- cold anything - I take scaldingly hot showers
- sudden bright light
- repetitive soft touch - like rubbing a shoulder or hand in affection or sympathy
- fingernails - can not STAND to have other people touch my fingernails (had a boyfriend that would flick them when holding my hand and he wondered why I refused to hold his hand anymore)

If I think into it some more there are probably others.

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 2:01 am

Fluorescent light bulbs drive me crazy, they give me a really bad headache. The normal tube type are the worst, but CFL's aren't much better. And don't bother telling me to try LED's, they flicker just as badly.

Alex440

13 Mar 2011, 3:16 am

The sound of crying (especially small children)
Noisy eaters.
The sound of flourescent lights, sometimes.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 3:46 am

Steam kettles
Snoring
Dripping water
Those high pitch sounds TVs make
That one car sound my dad's Jeep makes when I am on the phone with him while he is in his car. I also tell him to stop it because it's annoying.
Fuzzy sounds on the radio (my dad could be the only man who doesn't get this because do lot of people find it annoying? He doesn't seem to get it when it bothers my mother and I?)
My family slamming the kitchen door to the back porch and it vibrate my bedroom door and make a sound (They did this in our old house in Montana when I was 13-16)
Teens being too loud in my home and being in my area which be the basement (this happened when I was still living with my parents)
People cheering at sports
Lot of hugging and touching
People breathing on me, I must turn my face away when we are in bed
Getting tickled
Screaming toddlers
People being too loud
People talking all at once or laughing all at once

And I am happy my husband understands me because his phone is annoying when he clicks stuff on it. I tell him to quit it. He does it in the bedroom instead so it isn't bothering me. I also hated him talking on his phone out in the living room when I am still in bed sleeping and it make me angry when he wake me up from it. Luckily he stopped after I got really upset with him and told him I won't be turning down the TV anymore when he is in bed because it's also my home too since he gave me that home crap so I threw it back at him. That gave him the hint and he stopped. He also doesn't touch me a lot like he used to nor tickle me and he accommodates me during sex since I can't stand hairy and sticky skin against my bare skin. Heck I even put something between my baby's head and my arm because his head gets sweaty and sticky from being in my arms and I don't like the feeling.