Sensory things that drive you nuts that no one else gets...

Page 6 of 11 [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next

MusicGrl23
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Jan 2009, 2:04 pm

Homer_Bob wrote:
Loud notices, especially high pitched ones. When I hear children scream, it hurts my ears.

Same here. I dislike being around children in general because they always seem to be constantly talking and running around. However, I seem to dislike being around children even more when they are screaming and crying. I went out to lunch with my mom yesterday afternoon and I felt like I was going to have to go outside for a while because there was this little girl who would not stop screaming.

theQuail
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jan 2009, 2:05 pm

I have a few that should be easy to understand (loud classrooms, loud low bass, bright light, powdery stuff, sticky stuff, and grease) and a weird one. If I feel like something might hit me, or it is passing over me in a way that disturbs me, I get a very uncomfortable feeling in my head and want to move my head away or close my eyes. Things that might trigger it are people throwing balls in my field of vision, paper airplanes, or passing under low ceilings. I guess my ancestors had a problem with head injuries..? :roll:

FerrariMike_40
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jan 2009, 2:34 pm

I absolutely can not stand to be in a room with either no windows, or closed blinds. My room has 3 3' windows on the back wall which I always keep the blinds open.

Low ceilings.

Also overhead lights of pretty much any type, I like sunlight and am not bothered by lamps but overhead lights really bother me.

When people put their arm on my shoulder or neck. I'll kind of lower my shoulder so they don't do it, also my hip bones.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 2:37 pm

theQuail wrote:
I have a few that should be easy to understand (loud classrooms, loud low bass, bright light, powdery stuff, sticky stuff, and grease) and a weird one. If I feel like something might hit me, or it is passing over me in a way that disturbs me, I get a very uncomfortable feeling in my head and want to move my head away or close my eyes. Things that might trigger it are people throwing balls in my field of vision, paper airplanes, or passing under low ceilings. I guess my ancestors had a problem with head injuries..? :roll:

That sounds like a natural nervous reaction. I'm guessing you're not too good at sports? I'm the same, I duck every time the ball comes near me, and if I ain't paying attention I normally get hit in the head with it.

y es como un semestre"

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 2:39 pm

Strobe lights. I hate them sooooooooooo much. They make me want to just go fetal position and cover my eyes. Fortunatly I can resist the urge and just continue hating them... Why did someone have to invent something so crappy as strobe lights?

Airborne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jan 2009, 2:44 pm

Padium wrote:
Strobe lights. I hate them sooooooooooo much. They make me want to just go fetal position and cover my eyes. Fortunatly I can resist the urge and just continue hating them... Why did someone have to invent something so crappy as strobe lights?

I freak out when I see those as well. Unless your trapped in some crazy area, signaling for a rescue helicopter I dont want to see those.....

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 2:52 pm

Elevator/restraunt/grocery store Muzak. I can't ignore it (but would I like to). I'll hear part of a commercial, and the song gets stuck in me head.

There's a place at work where 2 high-speed motors are running, at a minor third note from each other. It sounds just like 'Du Haste Mich' (sp?), so I'm usually having German hard rock going through my head whenever I work in that building...;)

What gets me is loud static, especially when the kids turn off the cable, but not the TV

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 3:23 pm

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
Keith wrote:
I was touching some flour and the texture was horrific. I took my hands out and refused to do anything with it until it was changed back.

Really? I love touching flour. I like how light it is, like powdered air. This is how everytime I cook with flour it ends up everywhere, cos I run my fingers through it and it settles over everything.

CORNflour.. it's texture is just wrong, self-raising is fine

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 3:29 pm

Keith wrote:
Keith wrote:
I was touching some flour and the texture was horrific. I took my hands out and refused to do anything with it until it was changed back.

Really? I love touching flour. I like how light it is, like powdered air. This is how everytime I cook with flour it ends up everywhere, cos I run my fingers through it and it settles over everything.

What's the difference between cornflour and regular flour? I've never done anything with cornflour.

y es como un semestre"

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 3:40 pm

Exposed hands in bed! :x

I need to have the covers pulled over my head to sleep, but have to maintain a gap so that I can breathe cool outside air--this I do with a particular arrangement of my hands and head and blankets (one of which is weighted :D).

But that leaves my hands exposed, and I can't stand it. It feels like they're vulnerable and/or dead already.

So I wear gloves to bed now. It isn't required in hot weather (I like hot), but in winter is absolutely necessary unless I want to wake up with my hands balled into fists and my wrists bent inward, and then have numb arms half the day (from nerve compression, I guess).

I have several other sensory issues too (fluorescent lighting, CRT flyback transformers, low-frequency noises, stinks, etc.), but most of these have been mentioned already. :P

irishaspie
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jan 2009, 3:45 pm

ooh i have alot of these.
the worst is probably the sound of metal scraping together(like 2 knives) aagh! :cry:

Last edited by irishaspie on 11 Jan 2009, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 3:45 pm

Padium wrote:

You know what I actually like stobe lights

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 3:57 pm

Keith wrote:
Keith wrote:

What's the difference between cornflour and regular flour? I've never done anything with cornflour.

Cornflour is more fine and feels very smooth and feels like plastic, just feels wrong

BoringAl
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jan 2009, 4:04 pm

Padium wrote:

Ugh. I can't believe I forgot about strobe lights. I get light headed around strobe lights and have to close and cover my eyes efter more than a minute or so, or else leave.

VisualVox
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jan 2009, 9:03 pm

My teeth or tongue contacting wooden things, like popsicle sticks -- it sends me through the roof when I accidentally bite or lick wooden things

Getting my sleeves or collar wet -- cannot STAND dampness against my wrists/neck

Sudden loud noises

High whining motors, like a vacuum cleaner left standing in one place while it's still on

The sound of metal clothes hangers banging together (I suspect they may have actually triggered seizures with me in the past -- haven't used metal hangers in a while, haven't seized while standing in front of the clothes closet in a while)

Hugs -- contact, even with friends, is very difficult for me, and I sometimes "blank out" till the hug is over

A loud television with channels being changed frequently

On a bad day, just about anything...

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 10:40 pm

Padium wrote:

I don't mind strobe lights for some reason (because I can just leave the room and don't even go to parties anyway), but I hate when I'm watching TV and a movie trailer come on and it's all flashy because the producers thought it would be more suspenseful that way. It's the same if I'm watching a horror/action movie and they use quick cuts (the Saw franchise abuses this a lot) and it's just FLASH FLASH FLASH

I have to pull my jacket up and turn my head and then it looks like I'm doing that because it's scary. No. That's because it's about to trigger a seizure.