Sensory things that drive you nuts that no one else gets...

Page 1 of 11 [ 175 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 4:04 pm

This mostly when Im trying to go to sleep. I cant stand clocks ticking and someone else snoring. Whenever I sleep in the same room and someone else, I always ask if they snore because i will not fall asleep if someone else is snoring.

Moop
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Right here! Ya! Right behind the monitors glass! Get me out of here!

10 Jan 2009, 4:12 pm

The sound of breathing. It really gets to me, especially if I am trying to sleep.
Also the taste of anything with MSG or other "flavor enhancers". They make the taste of food way too overwhelming.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 4:15 pm

Moop wrote:
The sound of breathing. It really gets to me, especially if I am trying to sleep.
Also the taste of anything with MSG or other "flavor enhancers". They make the taste of food way too overwhelming.

The only flavour enhancer I have problems with is salt, it doesn't make things overwhelming, it just makes them outright disgusting.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 5:24 pm

Ooh..another one!...Atonal humming...Humming out of tune and with no melody... :? grrrrrrrr......

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 5:29 pm

Loud or shrill, unexpected noises.

Being in hot, stuffy rooms, especially when trying to sleep.

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 6:05 pm

Padium wrote:
I can't eat raw carrots, there is something about them that prevents me from being able to swallow them.

I hate this, since I otherwise like carrots, as per the flavor.

I also can't stand candle or soap stores... utter agony. I'm sure it will get even worse, now that I'm trying to quit smoking. My auditory sensitivities are tolerable, as I have done enough damage to my hearing over the years.

Also, I seem to be hyper-sensitive to electromagnetic fields. I tend to feel sick and dizzy around power transmission lines or in laundromats. I also get this disgusting feeling when I am within a few miles of a nuclear power plant, kind of resembles the feeling that I get in an X-ray room at the hospital. Has anyone else noticed this?

BoringAl
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jan 2009, 6:21 pm

I have a couple odd ones. CRT monitors at 60 Hz make my eyes hurt. I also cannot tolerate touching many types of cardboard without my hands feeling wierd for a while. Finally anything but my shirt touching my collar bone will freak me out.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 6:23 pm

Analog clocks. Seriously. Why, in the 21st century, do we still see all of these unnecessarily loud, inaccurate, ticking abominations all over the place? Even in the "quiet testing room" my university provides, there is a loud analog clock. Drives me insane.

Also, cheap fluorescent light bulbs. Most are OK, but there are crappy ones that have low flicker rates and make buzzing noises.

People pronouncing words incorrectly.

Crowds.

String instruments played badly.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 6:25 pm

BoringAl wrote:
I have a couple odd ones. CRT monitors at 60 Hz make my eyes hurt. I also cannot tolerate touching many types of cardboard without my hands feeling wierd for a while. Finally anything but my shirt touching my collar bone will freak me out.

Yeah, certain materials/textures make my hands feel weird too, and make me anxious. And anything touching my wrists will freak me out similarly.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 6:30 pm

BoringAl wrote:
I have a couple odd ones. CRT monitors at 60 Hz make my eyes hurt.

The CRT monitor one, I have that as well, although I always just figured it was because I noticed the refresh, which is not noticable to most people. I hated being able to notice the refresh, it made me sick while working on computers with CRTs.

BoringAl
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jan 2009, 6:39 pm

Padium wrote:
BoringAl wrote:
I have a couple odd ones. CRT monitors at 60 Hz make my eyes hurt.

The CRT monitor one, I have that as well, although I always just figured it was because I noticed the refresh, which is not noticable to most people. I hated being able to notice the refresh, it made me sick while working on computers with CRTs.

I always wondered how people couldn't see the flicker. Thank goodness for LCDs.

repete86
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jan 2009, 6:43 pm

Loud people are really bad for me. Even if I'm ready for it, it's shocking to me. Also I get extremely nervous and panicky whenever there are multiple people talking in a relatively small space. I have to leave because otherwise I'll end up snapping at people. In fact, loud things in general suck. I always keep ear plugs in my car with me so that if I get stuck in rush hour traffic I can put them in and turn my music up loud enough to drown everything else out.

I can't be in the same building as many meats being cooked (depending on the meat, but especially anything fried). The last time I was in a burger place, I was getting overwhelmed by the smell and had to leave my family and wait outside. My Dad is cooking bacon right now, so I'm in my room with the door closed and window open.

Whenever I go to concerts, I have to wear ear plugs, but if the sound sucks and there's alot of bass, it still affects me badly and I feel almost like my ear drum is being pressed in by the signal. Also when I feel the bass in my chest it tends to get me very tense and can quickly ruin an otherwise good show.

Cardboard tends to make my hands feel like the skin is stiff and brittle. I then hold my hands open because even my fingers touching each other feels very strange and uncomfortable. Washing my hands a few times after handling a cardboard box makes it stop, but it's still very annoying.

I hate shirts with buttons, but unfortunately have to wear one for work, so I have to wear an undershirt. If I don't, I feel like the buttons are scratching at and burning my skin. That was much worse when I was alot younger. According to my parents, I used to freak out when wearing button-down shirts. They had no idea why at the time and thought that I was just whining.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 6:48 pm

DwightF wrote:
Most people don't even hear it.

lulz. I can hear tvs on due to the high pitch and all that sometimes, but it doesn't annoy me.

Oh. Answering OP: People bitching about me putting lotion on my hands or washing them or something else "excessively" or wearing gloves when taking things out or in the yard, etc..

Last edited by Warsie on 10 Jan 2009, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 6:48 pm

Sound has became a much bigger issue for me recently, although I have always hated really loud or bassy sounds. The bass makes me feel sick, and the loud noise can make me feel sick too. I am really into metal and rock from the 80s, which is odd considering my dislike for loud music. I hate rap with a passion though, generally too bassy... generally about people whinning about something or another too.... and overall of poor quality.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 6:53 pm

Balloons. I run away from balloons, I'm scared they'll pop.

Scraping teeth against forks/other utensils. I literally scream at the person for doing this.

Otherwise, being brushed against in anyway.

I remember in 3rd grade the lights were bothering my eyes until it looked like I was crying. The teacher insisted that I go to the nurses office and they sent me home with pink eye (guess what, I didn't have it)

matt
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 6:53 pm

Orwell wrote:
Analog clocks. Seriously. Why, in the 21st century, do we still see all of these unnecessarily loud, inaccurate, ticking abominations all over the place? Even in the "quiet testing room" my university provides, there is a loud analog clock. Drives me insane.
I hate analog clocks.

Cooking eggs in any way other than boiling gives off something that makes the air feel disgusting. If eggs have been cooked in a kitchen that I use, I'll open all of the doors and ventilate the house for hours and use soap and water to clean every surface, and then shower.

The texture of eggs or quiche will make me gag, and I can't swallow them.

Static cling makes my throat close up so that I can't breathe.

Cooking oil on my skin is horrible. When I am cooking if I get any on my hands, I immediately wash them. I sometimes have to wash oil off of my hands multiple times when cooking.

The feel of certain fabrics is unbearable, like certain types of velvet, and like silk. Just thinking about touching some of them makes me shake. Silk feels oily and it catches on my skin.

The high-pitched whines of many types of computer fans and hard drives makes my head hurt, and I won't walk into rooms where they are on.