Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

12 Mar 2011, 4:52 pm

I've noticed multiple posts where people will ask "Do Aspies/people with AS do X" and clarify by these terms they mean the entire autistic spectrum.

What I wonder is: Why do people equate AS to the entire spectrum? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Also, ANI used "AS" to mean "autistic spectrum" and "AC" to mean "autistics and cousins" and I find it interesting that those usages seem to have disappeared.

poppyfields
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Mar 2011, 6:33 pm

I think most people here aren't too familiar with classic autism (or childhood disintegrative disorder or rett syndome) or even the different ways PDD-NOS can manifest. I see a lot of ignorance about non-AS ASDs.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 6:36 pm

Verdandi wrote:
I've noticed multiple posts where people will ask "Do Aspies/people with AS do X" and clarify by these terms they mean the entire autistic spectrum.

What I wonder is: Why do people equate AS to the entire spectrum? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Also, ANI used "AS" to mean "autistic spectrum" and "AC" to mean "autistics and cousins" and I find it interesting that those usages seem to have disappeared.

I don't remember ANI ever using "AS" to mean "autistic spectrum". That seemed to come later, such as with email groups like "AS and proud of it" who changed from "Asperger's" to "Autistic Spectrum" to be more inclusive. AC is one I don't always like because it's very autism-centric when it comes to atypical neurologies.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

12 Mar 2011, 6:44 pm

anbuend wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

I don't remember ANI ever using "AS" to mean "autistic spectrum". That seemed to come later, such as with email groups like "AS and proud of it" who changed from "Asperger's" to "Autistic Spectrum" to be more inclusive. AC is one I don't always like because it's very autism-centric when it comes to atypical neurologies.

Hmm, I might be confusing something. I thought I read a post by Jim Sinclair discussing the abbreviation in context relative to ANI, but I'll have to go read again to see what I actually read.

And yeah, I am not sure about what I think about AC, it was simply something that also came to mind.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 6:54 pm

Good question. Personally, I use ASD to mean Autism Spectrum Disorder and AS to mean Aspergers. Often times, I say ASD when speaking of AS, too.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 6:55 pm

poppyfields wrote:
I think most people here aren't too familiar with classic autism (or childhood disintegrative disorder or rett syndome) or even the different ways PDD-NOS can manifest. I see a lot of ignorance about non-AS ASDs.

And even how manifestations can cross diagnostic lines, and are not necessarily neat categories with no overlap.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 7:08 pm

Because of people who say "you can't call yourself autistic! You just have Asperger's! Autism is an awful thing! You're only functional because you're a super-high-functioning 'Aspie' and you're lying if you call yourself autistic!"

NOT A DOCTOR

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 7:15 pm

DandelionFireworks wrote:
Because of people who say "you can't call yourself autistic! You just have Asperger's! Autism is an awful thing! You're only functional because you're a super-high-functioning 'Aspie' and you're lying if you call yourself autistic!"

Thank you.

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Good question. Personally, I use ASD to mean Autism Spectrum Disorder and AS to mean Aspergers. Often times, I say ASD when speaking of AS, too.

Oh, I do too. I was more curious about the defining everyone as "Aspies."

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 7:16 pm

People say this?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 7:19 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

People say this?

I've heard it reported multiple times and seen it said a few times over the past few years. I believe it does happen.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 7:22 pm

That's just silly. Autistic is Autistic. The functioning level doesn't void your right to call yourself Autistic.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 7:32 pm

I agree with you.

I think the most common objectors are parents, who express a vested interest in defining autism in terms of how their children express it, which often manifests in terms of telling autistic people who can speak for ourselves to shut up, or that we're not representative.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 7:39 pm

Thankfully, I've never come across parents like that. Most I have come across (outside this site) are very pro-cure, though.

I guess they just don't understand the perspective of most Autistics.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 7:51 pm

I've seen one parent on this site mock autistic people who don't want a cure and suggest there's something wrong with us for not wanting it.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 7:54 pm

There's one thread I participated in just a couple of days ago promoting a cure. Well, mostly it's a 'bash the anti-cure people' thread.

Can't remember if the OP is a parent or not, though. I stopped reading that thread when the OP couldn't stop twisting everything I said and telling me what I thought and felt.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 8:07 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
There's one thread I participated in just a couple of days ago promoting a cure. Well, mostly it's a 'bash the anti-cure people' thread.

Can't remember if the OP is a parent or not, though. I stopped reading that thread when the OP couldn't stop twisting everything I said and telling me what I thought and felt.

I just cut a few people out of my life because they insisted on telling me what I thought and felt.