Good News or Bad news ! Autism can be detected in womb.

Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Rjaye
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 4:44 am

Yocritier wrote:
sethzack wrote:
Yocritier wrote:
I ask again: to those parents of AS children, how many of you were punching the air in delight on knowing your 2 year old child is AS? Knowing your child may lead a life of social disability, depression, stims (from awkward, to life threating chasing-lines-whilst-crossing-the-road), and possible mental disability. To know that you will never ever retire and that you will need to care for your child until the day you die, and yet you cannot die in peace as your child may never lead an independent life.

How many of you parents? Come on, own up.

But hey, why limit the discussion to AS related abortion? I read the news yesterday of a couple insisting on giving birth to their siamese twins, two heads and one body.

You don't know what it's like having AS, most aspies live relatively normal happy lives! I don't understand why you joined anyway, don't worry about what's to come and just love your child like you would any other!

Thanks for the encouragement. I am AS myself and have lived a life of depression, confusion, low esteem, and hate. Would I want my child to follow my path?

My response is targeted for parents of AS children, which appears what the OT focuses on. I want to hear from them. To be AS is one thing, but to be a parent of AS takes it to an entirely new level.

Well, as a person with AS and a kid and a grandkid with AS, yeah, I'd do it again.

Because guess what? AS is not the same for everyone. There are worse things than AS and lucky me, I had those experiences in my life as well. And then the kid, a pretty smart kid who's doing well in the Navy, and succeeding when he thought for sure he'd fail, because people kept telling him he'd never make it, to hide the dx of AS, and I kept telling him if he wants a Naval career, he can have it, because he's his own person and not some cookie cutter stereotype of what someone with AS is according to other people's definitions.

And now a grandkid with AS. And he's gorgeous. He has really advanced eye-hand coordination like his uncle did at that age and lots of smiles. He may not get the cues, but with support and encouragement, he'll learn.

I think that's where this whole issue gets bogged down. No-one can really say for sure how AS and Autism will manifest for each person, and even the type of ASD will not determine how the person will develop. In my family, while the ASD presents as fairly autistic, every person with AS has continue to develop in all ways, and become productive people in their jobs, their families and communities. They all married as well, except me, but that's because I didn't want to be married. It was a good choice for me as it turned out.

But how do we let people know it's not always going to be the severe end of the spectrum? There are severe cases that knock families for a loop, and to deny that these situation don't exist is sticking our heads in the sand. Yes, people with severe autism should be treated humanely, but doesn't that go for the rest of the family as well?

My experiences have included taking care of two terminally ill parents at different times in my life. Those experiences were much more difficult than taking care of an AS child. My bonus was I understood Ed, and he related to me. We were similar in our make-up, including our AS. I was able to show him life was workable even if we had to function differently.

But with first my mother, then my father becoming bed bound and incontinent, and sicker and sicker, and still somewhat coherent in their illnesses, that was much more difficult. I can imagine that those experiences are more like the experiences of a family taking care of a severely autistic child. The only out I had was that my parents eventually died, whereas an autistic child grows up, and is still autistic.

Until we can test for the subtypes of ASDs, these tests are pretty meaningless, and there's much to be done to educate the public in the fact that "autism" is not just one thing-it's several different things, and that while a test may show a tendency towards autism, what the hell does that mean in the real world?

I also noticed that the placental test only showed a correlation for boys, and not girls. Wouldn't the easiest thing to do for parents is to look at their families, see who is AS or autistic, and to limit the children they have to girls? That would drop the chance by a bit...since the test only works for male fetuses. Fetii...?

Yup, yup, yup. It's different for everyone. I would hate to make a decision based on stereotypes, miseducation, and anecdotes, and a test that really shows nothing, and just takes up space on a page with no perspective.

Metta.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 5:25 am

Yocritier wrote:
sethzack wrote:
Yocritier wrote:
I ask again: to those parents of AS children, how many of you were punching the air in delight on knowing your 2 year old child is AS? Knowing your child may lead a life of social disability, depression, stims (from awkward, to life threating chasing-lines-whilst-crossing-the-road), and possible mental disability. To know that you will never ever retire and that you will need to care for your child until the day you die, and yet you cannot die in peace as your child may never lead an independent life.

But hey, why limit the discussion to AS related abortion? I read the news yesterday of a couple insisting on giving birth to their siamese twins, two heads and one body.

You don't know what it's like having AS, most aspies live relatively normal happy lives! I don't understand why you joined anyway, don't worry about what's to come and just love your child like you would any other!

Thanks for the encouragement. I am AS myself and have lived a life of depression, confusion, low esteem, and hate. Would I want my child to follow my path?

My response is targeted for parents of AS children, which appears what the OT focuses on. I want to hear from them. To be AS is one thing, but to be a parent of AS takes it to an entirely new level.

I have a teenager with Autism, and another teenager that is undiagnosed. They do not have the problems you have. A lot dependends on living in a good environment, and especially having loving parents. If you view your child as a disaster, or must redo it to act like an NT, you should expect to get a child with lots of problems later in life.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 1:55 pm

I think this may lead to more abortions, which is wrong.
I think the good side is that the parents will be able to prepare for a possibly-autistic child.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

sethzack
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 7:11 pm

Yocritier wrote:
sethzack wrote:
Yocritier wrote:

I'm sorry if I came off as a little too harsh but if I had a child with AS I could try to make his/her life a lot easier and that is the whole point of being a parent, wanting better for them than you had it as a child.

I Want To Become Stronger...
... Than I Was Yesterday!! !! - The words in my avatar picture.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 7:33 pm

The interesting thing about this type of thread is that there are people here who can respond to the question to begin with.
Think if nobody was here to answer the question.

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 7:47 pm

SpongeBobRocksMao wrote:
I think this may lead to more abortions, which is wrong.

Well, you're certainly welcome to your opinion.

sethzack
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 7:52 pm

garyww wrote:
The interesting thing about this type of thread is that there are people here who can respond to the question to begin with.

Then the topic would die and we would all move on... but I get your point.

nettiespaghetti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2009, 7:56 pm

It's hard for me to even imagine having an abortion based on my child "possibly" being autistic. The whole things makes me sick. I can only be left with this overwhelming thought, that there are people in the world that think it would be better if I'd never been born because I'm on the spectrum. My life hasn't been easy, but I don't regret being here and I know my parents don't regret me either, even if they are jerks sometimes. Sorry if I sound emotional but how dare these people? :x

nettiespaghetti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2009, 7:57 pm

garyww wrote:

I like your way of thinking, good reply :)

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 7:58 pm

I am glad I am a man lol

sethzack
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 8:19 pm

Kilroy wrote:
I am glad I am a man lol

So you think there ia no pressure on you? What would you do if your wife or girlfriend wanted an abortion?

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 8:22 pm

sethzack wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
I am glad I am a man lol

So you think there ia no pressure on you? What would you do if your wife or girlfriend wanted an abortion?

Because of a potentially autistic unborn child.

sethzack
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 8:24 pm

Padium wrote:
sethzack wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
I am glad I am a man lol

Because of a potentially autistic unborn child.

Thanks for adding that, let's really put the pressure on him.

Yocritier
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Jan 2009, 8:25 pm

garyww wrote:

If fate should have its way, think if nobody was here to ask the question

sethzack
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 8:26 pm

Yocritier wrote:
garyww wrote:

If fate should have its way, think if nobody was here to ask the question

Think if science had it's way long ago, none of us would even be here.

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 11:41 am

STOP THIS BLOODY RESEARCH, DO RESEARCH ON CURING AIDS INSTEAD, BECAUSE THAT KILLS PEOPLE!! !

Idiots. :evil: