Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FrogGirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jan 2009, 9:58 pm

anyone else take Strattera? My Dr. gave me a sample today to try. Is there any horrible side effects?

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 10:26 pm

I know there's a book called The Physician's Desk Reference. There may be an online version.
Also, talk to your Pharmacist. They're paid to know about this (contraindications is what I think it's called

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Jan 2009, 11:37 pm

I haven't personally taken Strattera, but my son took it once for ADHD issues. It didn't work for him. He sat on the couch and cried because it made him feel depressed. We never had him take it again. Just be careful and monitor mood if it's taken. Many people praise it, but I also know of some who do not like it. As far as my autistic issues, I just receive therapy---but no medicine.

DwightF
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jan 2009, 12:02 am

Whoa! Your Dr. didn't give you a rundown on this? Hrmm, OK.

First, on the web this is the forum you want to check out: http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91 Lots of folks that will talk about what it was like for them and so on.

Common symptoms are:
Dry mouth (AKA cottonmouth)
Vivid dreams
Sexual Dysfunction (difficulty reaching climax, painful climax for (the second is for guys only I think, not sure) )
Having to concentrate to let your bladder go to urinate (this is as weird to experience as it sounds :? )

These usually go away within a few weeks as your body adjusts. There are others though. Pakled is right, you can get this from a pharmacist. But here's the FDA site covering the basics and here's the sheet the pharmacist would give you or give a translation of. Still shaking my head the Dr. wouldn't talk to you about this? Or are you worried they left something out?

You can feel somewhat euphoric at the start. A bit like a really mind stimulant buzz. Again an initial phase that goes away within weeks. One side effect, that's more a positive, that I don't think is on the official list but some (like myself) experience is that if you have problems breathing through your nose before this can clear up. Not only that but my jaw automatically clenched up a little by itself. So I actually have a less dry mouth, especially waking in the morning, than I did before. This has actually stayed with me, it's sort of a bonus.

One important thing on there is that if you are younger than 20 there is a relatively rare one (<1%) that start thinking about dying and/or suicide. If this happens call your Dr. emergency number. They'll likely tell you to stop right away. I'm not talking passing thoughts or such, these are really serious thoughts.

These are "side effects". Contraindicators are reasons not to start all because it represents a high risk or flat out deadly complications, such as heart or liver problems (I think) or dangerous drug interactions like you are taking MOA inhibitors (you can take next to nothing with those, that's just an example).

What it's suppose to feel like eventually (or really soon if you are lucky) is you get to make a choice before you act on impulse, a moment you never had access to conscious decision making in before. The other stuff, not being so go-go-go is more likely to be first noticed by people around you rather than yourself. If this works for you (and it doesn't for everyone) definitely get some coaching to go along with it because it just opens the door, you still have to know how to make the decision to step through. It doesn't tell you how to act (if it did you'd be taking to much).

P.S. If you find yourself being really angry [for no apparent reason] all the time or totally freaked out your dose is too high (or the side effects are going to be too much, get hold of your Dr). This is not something that is pleasant to take over your dose, it has little use as a "recreational" drug. Shouldn't happen on the initial dose though, they are suppose to start you out really low the first week. And it takes a while to build up in your system. You might not see effects at all for days.

EDIT: Almost forgot, if the Dr didn't mention, it is VERY IMPORTANT to take this on a regular basis. It builds up to the proper level in your system over time. Then you continue with the maintenance of it by taking it regularly. It doesn't work well at all if you skip days ... and DO NOT take a double dose because you forgot to take it the day before. The amount in your system will spike and you'll get an anxiety/anger overload. Not pleasant at all.

FrogGirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jan 2009, 12:23 am

DwightF wrote:
Whoa! Your Dr. didn't give you a rundown on this? Hrmm, OK.

First, on the web this is the forum you want to check out: http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91 Lots of folks that will talk about what it was like for them and so on.

Common symptoms are:
Dry mouth (AKA cottonmouth)
Vivid dreams
Sexual Dysfunction (difficulty reaching climax, painful climax for (the second is for guys only I think, not sure) )
Having to concentrate to let your bladder go to urinate (this is as weird to experience as it sounds :? )

These usually go away within a few weeks as your body adjusts. There are others though. Pakled is right, you can get this from a pharmacist. But here's the FDA site covering the basics and here's the sheet the pharmacist would give you or give a translation of. Still shaking my head the Dr. wouldn't talk to you about this? Or are you worried they left something out?

You can feel somewhat euphoric at the start. A bit like a really mind stimulant buzz. Again an initial phase that goes away within weeks. One side effect, that's more a positive, that I don't think is on the official list but some (like myself) experience is that if you have problems breathing through your nose before this can clear up. Not only that but my jaw automatically clenched up a little by itself. So I actually have a less dry mouth, especially waking in the morning, than I did before. This has actually stayed with me, it's sort of a bonus.

One important thing on there is that if you are younger than 20 there is a relatively rare one (<1%) that start thinking about dying and/or suicide. If this happens call your Dr. emergency number. They'll likely tell you to stop right away. I'm not talking passing thoughts or such, these are really serious thoughts.

These are "side effects". Contraindicators are reasons not to start all because it represents a high risk or flat out deadly complications, such as heart or liver problems (I think) or dangerous drug interactions like you are taking MOA inhibitors (you can take next to nothing with those, that's just an example).

What it's suppose to feel like eventually (or really soon if you are lucky) is you get to make a choice before you act on impulse, a moment you never had access to conscious decision making in before. The other stuff, not being so go-go-go is more likely to be first noticed by people around you rather than yourself. If this works for you (and it doesn't for everyone) definitely get some coaching to go along with it because it just opens the door, you still have to know how to make the decision to step through. It doesn't tell you how to act (if it did you'd be taking to much).

P.S. If you find yourself being really angry [for no apparent reason] all the time or totally freaked out your dose is too high (or the side effects are going to be too much, get hold of your Dr). This is not something that is pleasant to take over your dose, it has little use as a "recreational" drug. Shouldn't happen on the initial dose though, they are suppose to start you out really low the first week. And it takes a while to build up in your system. You might not see effects at all for days.

EDIT: Almost forgot, if the Dr didn't mention, it is VERY IMPORTANT to take this on a regular basis. It builds up to the proper level in your system over time. Then you continue with the maintenance of it by taking it regularly. It doesn't work well at all if you skip days ... and DO NOT take a double dose because you forgot to take it the day before. The amount in your system will spike and you'll get an anxiety/anger overload. Not pleasant at all.

Will it help to concentrate and finish things? Not have a two second memory?

Birdgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jan 2009, 12:34 am

I took it for about two weeks. At first it gave me cottonmouth and I was angry and irritable, and with no appetite [which was nice] but aside from that nothing. I know it's supposed to take a while but still, I do not have ADHD. Doctors are stupid. Adderall worked much better (and immediately) for me.

DwightF
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jan 2009, 12:36 am

FrogGirl wrote:
Will it help to concentrate and finish things? Not have a two second memory?

Not get distracted? Yeah, because without the meds you aren't making the decision about whether or not to get distracted. :) You might not notice it that way though, at first. You will get a choice to not wind your way off...but you might not take it because of habit. That's what you have the coaching/therapy for. Build new habits that you now have the tools to create.

Basically the meds feeds your brain part of what it needs for stimulation, so it doesn't drive you so hard towards getting that stimulation. But the extra stimulation is still a habit and it'll feel good to feed that craving. But you'll have the choice to put it off ... and with that choice comes the responsibility to put it off to an appropriate time and keep it in moderation.

P.S. I get a lot less speeding tickets now. :) I had gotten to that point in my life that I wanted to observe the speed limit more. So making that choice was easier. Not everything will be like that.

Last edited by DwightF on 14 Jan 2009, 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

FrogGirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jan 2009, 12:38 am

Birdgirl wrote:
I took it for about two weeks. At first it gave me cottonmouth and I was angry and irritable, and with no appetite [which was nice] but aside from that nothing. I know it's supposed to take a while but still, I do not have ADHD. Doctors are stupid. Adderall worked much better (and immediately) for me.

I'm concerned about Adderall, becasue it is a stimulant and is concidered addictive. I am also on Prozac. Is Strattera a depressant?(opposite of prozac which is an antidepressant)

DwightF
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jan 2009, 12:45 am

Quote:
I am also on Prozac. Is Strattera a depressant?(opposite of prozac which is an antidepressant)

Strattera is a norepinephrine/noradrenaline re-uptake blocker. It is a lot like an SSRI (which Prozac is) but on a different neuro-chemical. It was initially intended for use as an anti-depressant (and still gets prescribed like that off label sometimes) but the trials for it showed it wasn't effective enough at that to be sold that way.

P.S. The Dr knows about the Prozac, right? Because my understanding is that they can be effect multipliers of each other. That's what I understood one of the uses in off label anti-depressant mode is.

FrogGirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jan 2009, 12:48 am

DwightF wrote:
Quote:
I am also on Prozac. Is Strattera a depressant?(opposite of prozac which is an antidepressant)

Strattera is a norepinephrine/noradrenaline re-uptake blocker. It is a lot like an SSRI but on a different neuro-chemical. It was initially intended for use as an anti-depressant (and still gets prescribed like that off label sometimes) but the trials for it showed it wasn't effective enough at that to be sold that way.

Is it best to take it in the morning or evening? I take my Prozac before I go to bed, and I don't seem to have any disturbances with my sleep, other than my nose stuffiing up becasue I have my cats all over my bed and I am allergic to them and also dessert cotton mouth because I can't breath through my nose.

DwightF
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jan 2009, 12:50 am

Birdgirl wrote:

What does the Adderll do for you?

P.S. The main use of Adderll is also for ADD/ADHD. :)

Last edited by DwightF on 14 Jan 2009, 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

FrogGirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jan 2009, 12:51 am

DwightF wrote:
Quote:

P.S. The Dr knows about the Prozac, right? Because my understanding is that they can be effect multipliers of each other. That's what I understood one of the uses in off label anti-depressant mode is.

My Dr. prescribes the Prozac also. She started me on 16 mg once a day because of the fact that I am also on Prozac.

DwightF
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jan 2009, 12:57 am

FrogGirl wrote:
Is it best to take it in the morning or evening? I take my Prozac before I go to bed, and I don't seem to have any disturbances with my sleep, other than my nose stuffiing up becasue I have my cats all over my bed and I am allergic to them and also dessert cotton mouth because I can't breath through my nose.

Definitely check on the forum I linked. I've always taken it in the morning so I don't know. I've been pretty lucky with avoiding side effects, once I got my dose right.

P.S. I'm one of the rare people that takes a lot less than normal dose. I metabolise it slower so I take 25mg + 18mg/day. That's about 1/2 someone my size (180 lb.) normally takes. At 60mg I get very angry all the time within the week. It was a bit confusing as to why. Fortunately I had found on the web the Dr version of that pamphlet I linked, it mentions it there. I pointed that out to my Dr (she's a GP) and we figured that was probably it. So I tweaked till I got this.

EDIT: Oh, and 40mg isn't enough to maintain the load. It was that finicky for me. *shrug* I might be able to handle 25mg+25mg but unlikely given the results. When I was alternating 40mg with 60mg of off days I needed to take a 40's back to back on the 7th/8th days to keep in the zone I liked. I don't know if other people are like that or if it's just a by-product of me needing less normal?

DwightF
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jan 2009, 1:13 am

FrogGirl wrote:
My Dr. prescribes the Prozac also. She started me on 16 mg once a day because of the fact that I am also on Prozac.

Good to hear. :)

I don't know if it matters if you take Strattera the same time as Prozac or not. Because you do spike not that low after you take it and then it slowly lowers over the next 24 hours. So maybe spiking both at the same time would not be a good idea? That's just wild speculation though. Did the Dr suggest taking it one or the other?

EDIT: It would be more convenient to take them at the same time I imagine, so you've only got one time of day to remember and less chance of having a daily schedule disruption interfering with taking your meds. This fall I went on 2-day holiday and forgot to bring my meds. I sweated it out but it wasn't particularly pleasant being reminded why I take them. I spent a lot of energy and time just sitting and trying to keep a handle on my internal perpetual motion machine. But one thing I found is that I was able to keep it under control enough that my wife noted I didn't outwardly return to my old frantic self. I found that interesting. Still it was a hell of a lot of effort mentally. I don't think it'd be feasible to focusing on maintaining that outward composure and being effective at work or parenting. I know intimacy was pretty much out, I was totally distracted and just couldn't get into enjoying it.

Last edited by DwightF on 14 Jan 2009, 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Birdgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jan 2009, 1:20 am

DwightF wrote:
Birdgirl wrote:

What does the Adderll do for you?

P.S. The main use of Adderll is also for ADD/ADHD. :)

Well yes, I know, -but- I'm not at all hyperactive. The doctor decided I had ADHD as opposed to just ADD.. though I'm not sure if there's a big difference between the two anyway.

As for the Adderall, it just did what it's supposed to do I guess.. It made me feel calmer, made my thoughts slower and more coherent and I could focus more easily etc.

DwightF
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jan 2009, 1:32 am

Birdgirl wrote:
The doctor decided I had ADHD as opposed to just ADD.. though I'm not sure if there's a big difference between the two anyway.

There is some difference but the split is not black and white, a mixture of traits/symptoms is pretty common. I actually "test" about 50/50 myself, with slight lean to ADHD on most questionnaires.
Quote:
As for the Adderall, it just did what it's supposed to do I guess.. It made me feel calmer, made my thoughts slower and more coherent and I could focus more easily etc.

Ah good. As long as it wasn't the speed rush, the go-go-go to get things done that you were looking for. That's a bad thing. Sometimes that is what is described as "working" for the stimulants but not for Strattera. But it isn't the correct clinical dose. It's a dead end street if you are relying on the meds to kick your butt and tell you want to do, because that's the road to tolerance build-up and then potentially [if you don't know better] chasing the effect leading to addiction and/or very unhealthy side effects.