How many of you are on disability? Or can't work.

Page 1 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Are you on disability
I'm on disability 36%  36%  [ 38 ]
I'm not on disability 64%  64%  [ 69 ]
Total votes : 107

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 10:00 pm

How many of you are on disability because of your aspergers or other mental problems?

I ask this because I am on dissablity and I wanted to know how common it was.
Thanks.

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 10:01 pm

Currently on medical leave.

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 10:18 pm

Currently on unemployment.
I love working, often 2 or more jobs in tendem.

11 Jan 2009, 10:29 pm

I get Social Security and I am supposed to get a check by the 12th. If not, it probably went to my aunts and uncles house and I would have to call them and make sure. If not, oh well.

But I get unemployment but never got a check from them last week for some reason. I might have to pay back the money from SSI because of unemployment so that is what I am expecting. I don't want to depend on SSI.

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 11:18 pm

I have Asperger's Syndrome and OCD. I receive Social Security Disability. I receive a check from the government every month. I do plan on being a productive member of society, which is why I'm going to school. Due to my medical conditions, it is difficult for me to focus on both school and a job. I have to do either one of the other. As soon as I'm finished with school, I'm going to find a full-time job that would be suitable for my special needs and personality.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 11:19 pm

In the process......

Those who know, don't speak.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 11:19 pm

im on disability, well under dependant under my mothers name, on medicare, get SSI and etc... i can barely handle a 2 hour class, let alone any type of work environment, i hope with time i can get better though, planning on taking life skills, work skills, social skills classes in the future.

Last edited by Age1600 on 12 Jan 2009, 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 11:38 pm

How much would the income be on SSI?

I cannot make much money, and it is hard for me to get employment and keep it.

How do you get on SSI?

Thanks,

Idaho Aspie

11 Jan 2009, 11:45 pm

IdahoAspie wrote:
How much would the income be on SSI?

It varies in each state

IdahoAspie wrote:
How do you get on SSI?

http://www.ssa.gov/

There's a start.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 11:59 pm

Can you work part time and get disability or SSA part time? I do great work, but 40 hours a week just kills me. I spend all the time I am not at work just decompressing and getting ready for the next week of work, and it is killing me. ( well, now, that would be a solution, eh?)

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 12:03 am

I go to school full-time, hold down a job part-time, and waste plenty of time besides.

earthmonkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jan 2009, 12:09 am

I'm a student, and I would have a hard time working most low-skill type jobs that are out there, but no I don't get disability. I don't think I could anyway because I'm a student. I am at school though studying physics, plan to be a teacher.

--G. K. Chesterton, The Aristocrat

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 12:13 am

sinsboldly wrote:
Can you work part time and get disability or SSA part time? I do great work, but 40 hours a week just kills me. I spend all the time I am not at work just decompressing and getting ready for the next week of work, and it is killing me. ( well, now, that would be a solution, eh?)

Yes, you can work part-time and still collect disability benefits. Your monthly payment will be adjusted according to the amout that you earn, on the side. I don't know the exact limits placed on the number of hours that you may work, or the amount earned, but it should be fairly easy to look up, if you are interested. Or, you can go to the SS website and get their phone number, so you can call them directly and ask for info. :)

Those who know, don't speak.

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 12:27 am

Orwell wrote:
I go to school full-time, hold down a job part-time, and waste plenty of time besides.

Now THAT'S some time management skill! When I went to school part time and worked full time, I couldn't maintain it. Of course, I couldn't give up my time rocking and flapping, but I couldn't even do that as much as I would have liked - and it was terrible to have to cut that stress-buster down. Eventually I was able to quit the job and start going to school full-time.

Congrats on managing everything so well :hail:

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 12:54 am

KaliMa wrote:
Orwell wrote:

Now THAT'S some time management skill! When I went to school part time and worked full time, I couldn't maintain it. Of course, I couldn't give up my time rocking and flapping, but I couldn't even do that as much as I would have liked - and it was terrible to have to cut that stress-buster down. Eventually I was able to quit the job and start going to school full-time.

Congrats on managing everything so well :hail:

Oh, I know! Orwell is awesome! :wink:

but you know. . when people can do that, I always wonder who does the grocery shopping, launders the clothes, cooks the meals and cleans and of course, does the dishes.

Merle

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 1:13 am

Have never been on disability.