Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

AussieMatty
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Apr 2012, 11:35 pm

Hi everyone.

As being forth and final year uni kid. I always get to the moment people can tell I have some sort of mental issue. Hence why people don't really accept me who the way I am when comes to social.

So, as I moved to self catered college here on campus. I got this Norwegian girl as my floor mate as my first friend and hang out a bit in first week. Suddenly things got busy, nothing intentionally went wrong. However, in suddenly on FB three weeks ago she as I asked her a question out of my curiosity why she doesn't talk to me very much any more. Then she called me weird, creepy and strange kind of person. Then I deleted and blocked her on FB without any reactions against her. I felt so upset, since she is one of my floor mates, it going to give me hard time being on same floor. Does you think she can tell I have aspergers, in apart of calling me names?

My RA (also a friend) lives on same floor as me, I have not told him about this yet of what she did to me. I'm not sure what is wrong or right thing to do in this case. He does knew I have aspergers because he was my friend since my first year of uni here. However, my other floor mates does not knew I have aspergers. Still, no reactions and 'hard times' between me and them yet. Not sure if they can tell I have aspergers? I try and tell them in mature and polite way that I do have it.

Anyone had similar issue for your floor mates in college?

AussieMatty
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2012, 4:22 pm

I guess this is a failed topic....

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 4:27 pm

I was kind of lucky in college...it was one of the few places I made friends.

People kind of heard about my grade average and used to ask me for assistance with their work when they couldn't find a lecturer. During that process I got talking to people and they seemed to get attached to my kooky sense of humour and voila....for once I had a little group of friends!

People also used to tolerate my oddness because of my grade average I think, that and they told me I was hilarious lol (ahhh the days when I actually had a sense of humour ha!). It took months for people to talk to me though and it was only after my grades started coming back that I really started chatting with them myself. I usually tend to hide in the back of the class or in the library behind some books so mostly people don't notice me at first lol.

That was 18 years ago though...

Last edited by bumble on 25 Apr 2012, 4:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 4:27 pm

Asking an acquaintance that kind of question on Facebook could be deemed a bit unusual. You asked a direct question and got a direct answer.

I wouldn't say that they know you have aspergers, but that your traits and behaviour appear a bit off and that gets interpreted as being different or weird.

Jason

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 4:53 pm

Last year, someone did ask me if I do have Autism. It was the first thing she said to me. :?

AussieMatty
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2012, 11:41 pm

Its so frustrating and offensive for me. You can't say to anyone like who the way they are. Thats judgemental?

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 11:52 pm

Most people can't tell I'm on the spectrum because to themtism means 'nonverbal stimming child' and they have no clue what Asperger Syndrome is, or else think it's 'rule-obsessed person who talks in monotones and likes trains or something'. A scattered, somewhat defiant, sociable but weird girl with some odd mannerisms who talks nonstop about psychology doesn't register as 'disabled' to them. (Except for bus drivers, they often peg me as disabled even if they don't know what disability.)

However, people who are knowledgeable about higher functioning forms of autism usually spot me quite easily, even if I am somewhat atypical.

So my guess is most people can't spot AS, mainly because they have no clue what AS actually is.

darkfuji
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Apr 2012, 6:10 am

Ettina wrote:
Most people can't tell I'm on the spectrum because to themtism means 'nonverbal stimming child' and they have no clue what Asperger Syndrome is, or else think it's 'rule-obsessed person who talks in monotones and likes trains or something'. A scattered, somewhat defiant, sociable but weird girl with some odd mannerisms who talks nonstop about psychology doesn't register as 'disabled' to them. (Except for bus drivers, they often peg me as disabled even if they don't know what disability.)

However, people who are knowledgeable about higher functioning forms of autism usually spot me quite easily, even if I am somewhat atypical.

So my guess is most people can't spot AS, mainly because they have no clue what AS actually is.

agreed

VeggieGirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2012, 8:07 am

If you asked her a question that offended or embarassed her, maybe you should apologize. You could tell her you have AS or not, depending on what you feel comfortable with, but an apology might be good.