Page 1 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 4:16 pm

A nerd is someone who's socially inept because they spend too much time learning everything. A geek is socially inept because they spend too much time learning one thing. A dork has no excuse for his social ineptness. Which one are you?

I'm a geek. My interests are Auschwitz, the Judge Rotenberg Center, school shootings, morgues and mortuaries, disasters, and autism. And probably a few more things. :)

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 4:23 pm

Geek. My special interests are very strong, so I'm not interested in learning "everything," unless "everything" pertains to my area of special interest. :D I agree with how AS is sometimes called the "Geek Syndrome." I think that pretty much all Aspies are geeks, although not all geeks are Aspies.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 4:24 pm

I am probably a nerd then.

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 4:26 pm

I guess I'm somewhat all of the above even though my social skills are somewhat better than that of the typical aspie. My interests often change but some of my common fixations are: science, metaphysics, quantum physics, biology, astronomy, cults and secret societies, hate groups, "conspiracy theories", Pantheistic studies, Paganisms, medicine, and so on.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 4:34 pm

Your result for The Nerd? Geek? or Dork? Test...Tri-Lamb Material57 % Nerd, 30% Geek, 70% DorkImageThe Nerd? Geek? or Dork? Test at HelloQuizzy

take this test

OccamsIndecision
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jan 2009, 4:55 pm

I took the test Monkey mentioned...

Outcast Genius
65 % Nerd, 74% Geek, 61% Dork

For The Record:

A Nerd is someone who is passionate about learning/being smart/academia.
A Geek is someone who is passionate about some particular area or subject, often an obscure or difficult one.
A Dork is someone who has difficulty with common social expectations/interactions.
You scored better than half in all three, earning you the title of: Outcast Genius.

Outcast geniuses usually are bright enough to understand what society wants of them, and they just don't care! They are highly intelligent and passionate about the things they know are *truly* important in the world. Typically, this does not include sports, cars or make-up, but it can on occassion (and if it does then they know more than all of their friends combined in that subject).

Outcast geniuses can be very lonely, due to their being outcast from most normal groups and too smart for the room among many other types of dorks and geeks, but they can also be the types to eventually rule the world, ala Bill Gates, the prototypical Outcast Genius.

Congratulations!

Polgara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jan 2009, 5:18 pm

61 % Nerd, 35% Geek, 43% Dork

You scored better than half in Nerd, earning you the title of: Pure Nerd.

The times, they are a-changing. It used to be that being exceptionally smart led to being unpopular, which would ultimately lead to picking up all of the traits and tendencies associated with the "dork." No-longer. Being smart isn't as socially crippling as it once was, and even more so as you get older: eventually being a Pure Nerd will likely be replaced with the following label: Purely Successful.

(So I got what I thought I would get! :) )

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 5:29 pm

No.

I was born socially inept, and it stayed that way.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 5:32 pm

I thought a geek was someone who bites the heads off chickens.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 5:38 pm

I'm a nerk...;)

Geeks originally were sideshow attractions who bit the heads off live chickens (circus geek - I'm not making this up)

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 5:41 pm

A nerd I guess, though even if I wasn't learning everything I'd probably still be socially inept.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 5:46 pm

Quote:
You scored 74% on nerdiness, higher than 82% of your peers.
You scored 78% on geekosity, higher than 97% of your peers.
You scored 70% on dork points, higher than 99% of your peers.

I honestly thought I would score more heavily towards geek, which is what I identify with.
I didn't think my "dork" quotient would be so high- I wonder which were the dork questions.

I rated "Outcast Genius" (they certainly choose flattering categories, don't they):

Quote:
Outcast geniuses usually are bright enough to understand what society wants of them, and they just don't care! They are highly intelligent and passionate about the things they know are *truly* important in the world. Typically, this does not include sports, cars or make-up, but it can on occasion (and if it does then they know more than all of their friends combined in that subject).

Outcast geniuses can be very lonely, due to their being outcast from most normal groups and too smart for the room among many other types of dorks and geeks, but they can also be the types to eventually rule the world, ala Bill Gates, the prototypical Outcast Genius.

melissa17b
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jan 2009, 6:03 pm

74N/65G/78D - sobering and frightening...

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 6:10 pm

Ana54 wrote:
A nerd is someone who's socially inept because they spend too much time learning everything. A geek is socially inept because they spend too much time learning one thing. A dork has no excuse for his social ineptness. Which one are you?

I range from 'geek' to 'nerd' depending on time :mrgreen:

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 6:18 pm

I'm both a geek and a nerd and proud. I think it's the others that have the problem. People who lack all nature of geekyness or nerdyness are usually uninteresting dullards and tools. The anti-intellectualism in culture makes me want to puke.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 6:19 pm

WOW, I would have figured I would do better!

52 % Nerd, 48% Geek, 39% Dork

Compared to other takers
40/100 You scored 52% on nerdiness, higher than 40% of your peers. 68/100 You scored 48% on geekosity, higher than 68% of your peers. 64/100 You scored 39% on dork points, higher than 64% of your peers.

You would think that I would get credit for being more geek, compared to my peers. Yet it said I scored Pure Nerd, because that value is so high.

One really wonders about this though. Wouldn't a nerd be more into fandow, or is that simply a dork? I WOULD like to know how I scored this way.