Looking to meet someone like me at Clemson University

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

shades720
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Jul 2011, 5:52 pm

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I'm technically undiagnosed, but I have had a shrink tell me that I have it. Both her and I agree that I can't benefit from disability services, so the diagnosis was made informally by a professional. Anyway, I have met people whom I suspect may have it, but I've yet to meet anyone who I know has it for certain. I would like to interact with you guys, and I was also wondering if there is anybody on the forum with any ASD (diagnosed or not) that is located at or near Clemson University, as that is my location. If so, please speak up, because I would like to meet you.

Shades

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 6:20 pm

Well, Columbia isn't exactly right around the corner, but it isn't that far from Clemson. If you're ever heading down this way, send me an IM and maybe we can get together.

Welcome to The Planet!

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 6:45 pm

You say you can't benefit from disability services (presumably you don't need help in school), but maybe you can. Try asking whether they have a support group or social group for ASD people or disabled people in general. My school has one of each. Whether you want to stay after you've been a couple times isn't sure (sometimes these groups are all woe-is-me and little practical advice), but you could meet other ASD people in your school.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

shades720
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Jul 2011, 10:02 pm

I'll definitely let you (another_1) know if I'm ever in columbia.

I'm not sure if Clemson has a support group or not, but I'll check. The shrink did give helpfull advice though. She said that she's dealt with people with Asperger's, so there have to be more like me on campus. She said if she could take a "hypothetical" AS survey of everyone in the school, she "thinks" they would all be in engineering and mathematics. That was as close as she could get me without violating confidentiality laws.

Thanks guys

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

07 Jul 2011, 10:16 pm

Just wondering. Where is Clemson? :lol:

shades720
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Jul 2011, 10:40 pm

@MakaylaTheAspie It's both a college and a city. It's in South Carolina, kindof in the western "point" looking area on the map. It seems we're on opposite coasts.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

07 Jul 2011, 10:53 pm

shades720 wrote:
@MakaylaTheAspie It's both a college and a city. It's in South Carolina, kindof in the western "point" looking area on the map. It seems we're on opposite coasts.

Yep. :roll: