"You're not autistic, you make facial expressions!"

Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

LolaGranola
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Feb 2009, 3:12 pm

I've always been very expressive... Sometimes a bit too much!

msinglynx
Toucan
Toucan

06 Feb 2009, 4:49 pm

Sometimes I am very blank faced and other times very expressive. I am most expressive with family and freinds and very silly, acting out stories with voices and different expressions, but if I am anxious or intimidated I come off as very serious and virtually expressionless. Also my face usually does not match my extreme emotions. I can be insanely happy & look bland, and totally terrified and look very happy.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2009, 5:20 pm

I'm thinking that the statement in the subject heading was a case of truth getting twisted into BS. Something that's common (trouble with facial expressions) gets twisted into something uncommon (no facial expressions), and then, worse, made into a universal.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2009, 11:41 pm

My face is overexpressive, and it's entirely accidental. Though people often think my neutral face is depressed.

My voice though is low and slightly monotone.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 6:35 pm

Gee, if people with AS "can´t make facial expressions", why is it so hard to diagnose then? All one has to do is go out and find all the people who have no facial expression.....that sounds pretty easy. Forget about all these silly psychological tests, you don´t need them.... :roll:

Shelby wrote:
I do make facial expressions, but as thewildeman said I think I tend to mimic more than show genuine emotion. I know intellectually when someone is complaining to show a sympathetic face and say things like "poor you"

I do this too...but doesn´t everybody do this, including NTs? This is something I´d really like to find out. I asked that on another thread once, but nobody answered my question.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Feb 2009, 7:26 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Seems like it's the label that changes them and then they are annoyed because they don't see you as you anymore because their thoughts changed when you told them you have AS. That's one of the reasons why I don't tell anyone. I don't want things to change between me and someone.

So true. I was in one of my talkative moods, the other day, and blabbed about being on the spectrum to one of my neighbors. Now, he isn't so friendly as before, and I once saw him start to leave his house, and duck back in when he saw me! Guess I learned a valuable lesson.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 7:31 pm

Morgana wrote:
Gee, if people with AS "can´t make facial expressions", why is it so hard to diagnose then?

It's actually quite easy to diagnose in most cases. :)

If you know what to look for, it's as easy as diagnosing Down's syndrome; they're both just as obvious.

Shelby
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Feb 2009, 7:39 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:
Seems like it's the label that changes them and then they are annoyed because they don't see you as you anymore because their thoughts changed when you told them you have AS. That's one of the reasons why I don't tell anyone. I don't want things to change between me and someone.

So true. I was in one of my talkative moods, the other day, and blabbed about being on the spectrum to one of my neighbors. Now, he isn't so friendly as before, and I once saw him start to leave his house, and duck back in when he saw me! Guess I learned a valuable lesson.

I saw you mention that on another thread...how awful, what a stupid ignorant man. That's why we need more awareness of Aspergers, he's probably thinking you're insane because he knows nothing about what it really is.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Feb 2009, 8:20 pm

Shelby wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:

I saw you mention that on another thread...how awful, what a stupid ignorant man. That's why we need more awareness of Aspergers, he's probably thinking you're insane because he knows nothing about what it really is.

Or else, he suffers from a fairly common male ego challenge; thinking that I am flirting just because I was talkative. :roll:

RandomKid
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 9:16 pm

Depends I can sometimes smile or make angry faces other time I just look blank. My reading teacher said I am one fo thos people you don't know if they won the lottery or lost their puppy.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 12:30 pm

Danielismyname wrote:

It's actually quite easy to diagnose in most cases. :)

If you know what to look for

Those are the key words, I would say. :)

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 1:39 pm

People's ignorance and (in some cases) stupidity never ceases to amaze me. :|

DJDizzy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2009, 10:55 pm

about the only facial expression i often use is laughing, since i am easily amused. Most of the time i dont smile, i dont frown, etc.

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 11:15 pm

I usually have a blank stare, but that's because I'm day dreaming and/or not feeling very emotional. But when I get excited, I make a lot of expressions. And many people can read me like a book... that's why I don't really understand the need for words. Why tell people how I feel when they can already see it?