Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

07 Feb 2009, 7:50 pm

I get annoyed when I get interrupted to do something else, when I get interrupted when I get a phone call. But I still do it without an attitude or flipping out. One of my online friends told me that isn't being flexible because I'm annoyed. I thought I was being flexible because I am not flipping out or having anxiety or getting all stressed out. I overcame that part.

I don't always know what to do spontaneously so when I am with someone like my mother and she just decides to stop somewhere and I don't care what she does because I don't know what to do so I just follow, he still said that wasn't being flexible because I didn't plan it on my own. When my mother and I went to England, she said i was flexible because I did things she did. I just didn't know what to do in the UK when we were driving around, I only wanted to see Stonehenge and Bath, so my mother was looking in the travel book and looking at the UK atlas I bought for two pounds in London and going to those places and I was following along, he said that was not flexibility but my mother said it was.

On my own, I have problems being flexible because there is no one and my bf doesn't drive so it's not like I can tag along what he does. Instead I get all upset or stressed out when he wants to do something all of a sudden. That means wait for the bus or drive him.
When I was with my ex, I was bored bored bored in his apartment so I always loved it when he had to go somewhere like if he had to go to the store or to his grandparents or to work to put ads together, it was always exciting because it got me out of his apartment. Would that be considered flexible?

What about when someone wants to see a movie and it happened to be the movie I want to see, yippee I'm going but my online friend said that still wasn't flexible because it's the movie I want to see. It would have to be a movie I didn't want to see and I don't complain to consider it flexible.

Last year my bf had to go grocery shopping all of a sudden and he didn't want to use a bus because he wanted wheels and a trunk so I had to take him and the whole time I was anxious to get out of there and go home to get back to what I was doing. I thought I was being flexible because if I wasn't I would have refused to take him but I did to be nice but I was anxious all along to get out of there.

I'm not sure anymore what flexible is. I didn't even know there was a difference between accepting something and being flexible and just taking orders.

Luckily seeing a movie with someone you didn't want to see and falling asleep in it is still considered flexible. I have done it three times in theaters with Coneheads, Michael, and Too Fast Too Furious. They bored me to death.
As a kid you don't really have a choice what movie you're seeing because your parents wanted to see it so you don't even know about the movie when you go there to see it so there is nothing to complain about. Then the movie comes on and you just happened to enjoy it and there happens to be some you won't enjoy so you are anxiously waiting for the movie to end like I did with Star Trek generations.
With Too Fast Too Furious, I saw it with an aspie. I wanted to meet her so I chose to see the movie with her when she invited me but I fell asleep in it instead. I think that scared her away because she never invited me anywhere else again after that or called me a lot on the phone. I heard that's what she does to all her friends and guys she meet. she get obsessive compulsive and wouldn't know where to draw the line to how often she should be calling.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 9:13 pm

flexible simply means to get along by going along. One thing you have a hard time escaping is occasionally having to do things you don't like. You can still not like them, though.

There was a cute song that came out many years agol don't know the name of the song, but the gist

He likes doing opera but I don't like the opera, but I'll go to the opera 'cause I like him
it's a good thing he can't read my mind.

That always made me batty, because I'd hate to do something with someone who only pretended to enjoy it.

Maybe if you get back with that person, but you pick the movie?

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 10:11 pm

Going with the flow and making changes on the fly. Some people call it multitasking or accomodating. If you don't have it then tell everybody to just stuff it and that you're going to do things your way.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 11:17 pm

Flexible means able to easily move, or change your plans. It says NOTHING about comfort.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 2:21 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
Flexible means able to easily move, or change your plans. It says NOTHING about comfort.

I concur.