Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Anniemaniac
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Feb 2009, 1:27 am

Not sure if this is in the right place but didn't know where else to put it.

I noticed recently, that whenever I see a bright image on a screen I get a sharp pain in the centre, or off to the side of my forehead for a brief second, then it goes away, usually. This doesn't happen if I've been looking at a bright picture for a while, or when a light suddenly comes on, it's only when something bright/really white comes on the screen for a few seconds.

It happened just now, only it's stayed this time. It's not bad, just a dull ache over my forehead because I was watching on TV about the Australian bushfires and a picture flashed up and the fire was bright white, and it caused the headache

Any ideas what this is? I'm thinking maybe a migrain? Or prehaps its because it's so sudden to my eyes and they're not used to it, because like I said, it doesn't happen when looking at a bright screen for a long time, only when a bright image suddenly comes up.

Any ideas what it is? Anyone else get like this?

millie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 2:31 am

it may be hypersensitivity.
that seems quite possible.

i get migraines -- and have had them since late childhood. if it were a migraine you may well be bedridden for three days or so and have expreme light sensitivity and you would not be able to move and would likely be vomiting sporadically.
you would not be able to watch tv - that would be unbearable.
WIth migraines all sensory input must be reduced. dark room, quiet, no touch or movement.

ya ain't gonna be sitting up watching the bushfire reports. :wink:

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 2:59 am

Light sensitivity maybe.
I get headaches if I watch TV without glasses for too long.
Nintendo Wii games were the worst. Watching someone play Mario Cart would make me dizzy.
I really think my vision problems got worse during a computer course. My optometrist says I have tired eye muscles.

I get migraines too. I had a really bad one on a really hot day, in an even hotter venue watching really loud bands play live. I welcomed death that day.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 3:20 am

pensieve wrote:

I get migraines too. I had a really bad one on a really hot day, in an even hotter venue watching really loud bands play live. I welcomed death that day.

well i am glad death did not catch the maiden that day pensieve. i would have missed all your posts had you been swooped off to the heavens....

:wink:

mixtapebooty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Feb 2009, 3:24 am

I get light sensitive headaches. I'm also sensitive to humidity and altitude.

Gryphoness
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Feb 2009, 3:27 am

pensieve wrote:
I really think my vision problems got worse during a computer course. My optometrist says I have tired eye muscles.

I have gotten migraines for a long time now. Two optometrists also told me the same thing: that I have 20/20 vision but my eye muscles tire very quickly for my age. And are you saying that heat makes your headaches worse? I have noticed that I am more prone to headaches in the heat, especially when it is stuffy. Ice and cool air are my best friends when I have a headache, besides darkness and silence.

I can also relate about the concert. I went to a concert in 2007 and during the first opening band's second song I had to go outside. I was up next to the stage and felt overwhelmed with a headache and nausea and other less definable feelings. I spent the whole concert standing in the back near the door, ducking outside or downstairs when it got worse again. I can relate to welcoming death when suffering a migraine.

Anniemaniac
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Feb 2009, 3:34 am

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I thought it was too minor for migraines but thought it could be as my doctor told me I suffer from them when I went to her about dizziness and headaches.

I looked up light sensitivity though and it seems to fit, so I guess that's problem solved :), thanks.

beareater
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Feb 2009, 4:00 am

ur eyes are processing great amounts of light, surely u can try to expect that u'll feel somthin from it

the eyes are right in front of the brain like bicycle helmet lights, so the response time is quicker than anything which is why it feels like an immediate collision...notice how u dont feel neurons traveling anywhere else, as they're given a long enough road to keep constant

8O

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 4:24 am

Gryphoness wrote:
And are you saying that heat makes your headaches worse?

I'm very sensitive to heat. I get headaches and dizziness. Recently I had 5 days straight of feeling dizzy and had a few headaches. As soon as I get a headache I take a painkiller so I don't always remember when I have them.
Once I was outside in the heat for a few minutes and I swear it felt like the flesh on my face had ripped off. Sorry for the gory details but that's how bad it was. I was outside two minutes tops too. Imagine what an hour would be like.

That day the concert was on was the worst. I also had a really bad meltdown. Then I had to walk in the heat, without water, during a meltdown. But as soon as I got home I had a freezing cold shower. Oh, and the ex was being a grumpy grouchy ignore pants, which was the primary cause of the meltdown. I went all that way in the heat for his stupid band and he couldn't even say 'thanks for coming' let alone smile at me.

Gryphoness
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Feb 2009, 1:15 pm

pensieve wrote:
I'm very sensitive to heat. I get headaches and dizziness. Recently I had 5 days straight of feeling dizzy and had a few headaches. As soon as I get a headache I take a painkiller so I don't always remember when I have them.
Once I was outside in the heat for a few minutes and I swear it felt like the flesh on my face had ripped off. Sorry for the gory details but that's how bad it was. I was outside two minutes tops too. Imagine what an hour would be like.

That day the concert was on was the worst. I also had a really bad meltdown. Then I had to walk in the heat, without water, during a meltdown. But as soon as I got home I had a freezing cold shower. Oh, and the ex was being a grumpy grouchy ignore pants, which was the primary cause of the meltdown. I went all that way in the heat for his stupid band and he couldn't even say 'thanks for coming' let alone smile at me.

I have the same problem with heat. And no need to apologize for gory details, I understand them completely. For me it feels like a combination of dizziness, weakness, light-headedness, and getting punched in the stomach. I nearly collapsed recently when I was taking a shower and didn't realize how hot the water was until I couldn't stand. After a migraine I feel washed out and numb so I was oblivious to the water's extreme temperature.

I was a bit luckier with my concert experience as my bf at the time was very supportive and walked out with me even though he was standing against the stage waiting to see his favorite band. The venue staff treated me like crap but that's another story :P

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 2:19 pm

I have a brutal time with bright lights... I definitly have a light sensitivity, and I knew that before I knew about the sensitivities aspies commonly have. My hearing is another one. Also I am sensitive to change in the weather, about a week ago I had the worst headache imaginable, 2 advil liquigels didn't clear it up, and thats maximum recommended dosage... they normally do the job as soon as they are in my system (roughly 10-15 minutes)... Anyways, temperature jumped from -30 to 0 in a couple of days, so that is what threw that at me... it was so bad I said screw homework and went to sleep.

ale

02 Oct 2010, 9:28 am

I've an extreme sensitivity to light. I get a headache if i walk below the sun for more than 1 block, and changes in the intensity of lights (my worst sensitivity)give me at least 2 or 3 terrible headaches per day. I can stand bright lights, but if you turn them off i get a headache

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 12:32 pm

I have these headaches too. And nausea. Doesn't matter if light is natural or fake. Unfortunately people like strong light and they torture me with it. I hate fake light at noon, when natural light is strong enough. It makes me sick.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 12:48 pm

I get headaches in any bright light, including if it's too sunny. I wear sunglasses outside and inside I keep lighitng to a minimum. I have photosensitivity, you could too

conan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 5:23 pm

i got headaches for a month or so after 30 mins daylight or quickly after direct sunlight. I reckoned it was either vitamin B12 deficiency or viral meningitis! or both!

if this is not normal for you then it is worth getting some reassurance from your doc.

Stonecold
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 11:00 pm

If you don't like light, then DON'T press this (seriously, don't. I am not responsible for anyone who bites their tongue off).

http://fletchowns.net/what.html

If you're fine with light, then do click it. It's mesmerizing!

Last edited by Stonecold on 03 Oct 2010, 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.