Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aspiezone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Oct 2010, 3:42 am

Teach your kids pressure points and other self defense techniques. If the bullying gets bad enough, take it up with the bully's parents and threaten to sue. If the bullying continues, get a good lawyer and sue the school district and the bully's parents.

ThomasL
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Oct 2010, 3:52 am

Bullies suck. They should be severely beaten. Maybe then they'd know how it feels.

Unfortunately, teachers, administrators, and the whole system basically side with the bullies. They don't care. Social Darwinism?

How can we say we're a civilized society when we let bullying happen every day at every school in the land? Barbaric.

Aspiezone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Oct 2010, 4:14 am

ThomasL wrote:
Bullies suck. They should be severely beaten. Maybe then they'd know how it feels.

Unfortunately, teachers, administrators, and the whole system basically side with the bullies. They don't care. Social Darwinism?

How can we say we're a civilized society when we let bullying happen every day at every school in the land? Barbaric.

Since Teachers don't care, reporting it does no good, it's better to fight back and defend yourself by any means necessary. Sure you may get blamed but suspension is more of a reward than anything. Reporting does do you well if you plan to take legal action against them. You can document their lack of cooperation and use this as a grounds for suing. The more you go to the school with your complaints, the more ammunition you have against them in a court of law. Their lack of coopration will be costly. NEVER back down until they do what you want them to do. Only fear of a lawsuit or mass media exposure will ever change their minds...

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 8:16 am

There are teachers who do care. I had a teacher who cared and now, as a teacher myself I care and will defend any student who I see is getting bullied. The problem can lie in witnessing the bullying. I suspect a lot goes on when I'm not looking or in a way where I can't hear it 9texting, muttering, etc.), and I have no way of knowing unless a kid comes to me and says something. Of course there are injustices where adults turn a blind eye, but please, don't lump us all into an uncaring category that condones bullying. There are a lot of good teachers and good administrators who actually do care and who were bullied themselves. Most teachers weren't exactly the cool kids.

I agree with having your kids learn martial arts. It can stop a lot of problems. But teaching them pressure points without a strong foundation in martial arts, patience and wisdom can lead you to be the one getting sued. You can cause serious damage to someone if you unskillfully try to use pressure points. The goal is to teach kids how to deal with people so that the fight never has to happen in the first place. That's the mark of an advanced martial artist and a great skill that carries into adulthood.

ApsieGuy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 8:23 am

Actually, just have them take up wieght lifting

I went from skrawny aspie=============buff aspie

People wont bother a buff guy

Pros:

-Muscles are mans way of saying f**k off. I can assure you that you WONT be bothered if your of average hieght with massive muscles.

Cons:

-People will assume your really stupid. People assume bodybuilders are morons.

-If you don't have decent employment, people will harass you about it.

-People will just put you down/make fun of you in general....

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 10:51 am

ThomasL wrote:

been doing that it only let me being forced to spyciatric

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 11:22 am

I went through several years of workplace bullying that resulted in serious illness, loss of employment and worse. Self-defence would have been of no use whatsoever. I was bullied a lot in school and, even though that was a lot more physical, self-defence would have done little to prevent or protect against bullying. Bullies always find ways to hurt without being hurt themselves. If the school, organisation, employer or society don't work against bullying, then nothing stops it - the victim of bullying gets even more suffering from standing alone against it.

Self-defence is still worth learning for protection, self-esteem and general health, but don't expect the bullying to stop.

The defence against bullying is awareness, education and political activism.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 11:49 am

StuartN wrote:
I went through several years of workplace bullying that resulted in serious illness, loss of employment and worse. Self-defence would have been of no use whatsoever. I was bullied a lot in school and, even though that was a lot more physical, self-defence would have done little to prevent or protect against bullying. Bullies always find ways to hurt without being hurt themselves. If the school, organisation, employer or society don't work against bullying, then nothing stops it - the victim of bullying gets even more suffering from standing alone against it.

Self-defence is still worth learning for protection, self-esteem and general health, but don't expect the bullying to stop.

The defence against bullying is awareness, education and political activism.

in fact it did stop after i beated one guy at hospital with pen :P and friend of mine beated one guy senseless with beer can on this week-end :lol:

primaloath
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Oct 2010, 1:04 pm

For cases of emotional abuse / workplace bullying, use a spy camera and record conversations with traditional tape recorders (i.e. not digital recorders), if the laws in your country allow it.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 3:12 pm

primaloath wrote:
For cases of emotional abuse / workplace bullying, use a spy camera and record conversations with traditional tape recorders (i.e. not digital recorders), if the laws in your country allow it.

That can work, especially if you make an audio recording, transcribe it, and present excerpts of the transcription as if they were your memory of the conversation. It is hilarious to watch someone deny something and then present the evidence, because then they are caught in a double-whammy. (Take care - even assuming that making a recording without consent is no itself a criminal offence, the evidence made without consent can rarely be presented in an employment tribunal or court, so the value is in eliminating the bully's credibility with colleagues or superiors).

It is also amazing what bullies will commit to paper, email and other permanent records. The reductio ad absurdem of joining up their own documents on a well-constructed website can be devastating - again, take care about the obvious breaches of privacy and employment codes of conduct, but the bully is in the amusing position of complaining that your publication of their own words is somehow libellous.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 3:17 pm

This is how you deal with bullies:

cnidocyte
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Oct 2010, 4:18 pm

Aspiezone wrote:
Teach your kids pressure points and other self defense techniques. If the bullying gets bad enough, take it up with the bully's parents and threaten to sue. If the bullying continues, get a good lawyer and sue the school district and the bully's parents.

Just teach them to fight and beat the crap out of anyone that messes with them. My older brother taught me this and every school I went to I rapidly gained a reputation that made people afraid to mess with me.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 4:27 pm

A lot of this doesn't work for girls. Girls don't physically bulk up like guys do, and if we do it doesn't mean the same thing socially. Plus, girls get a lot more relational aggression rather than physical, which can be as bad or worse depending on the situation, and is harder to defend against. For example... It may be pretty easy to defend against a guy who's throwing a punch at you; but how do you defend against the anonymous person who left a dildo on your desk, or the people who won't stop talking about the time you walked into the wrong restroom, or the person who draws a very crude image of you doing obscene things on the classroom chalkboard? What if, every time a new kid comes into the class, they tell this person all about how horrible and weird you are, so that they are warned off from ever approaching you? It's very difficult to defend against that kind of thing. Girls are a lot more subtle... Not to belittle what the guys go through; it's not pleasant, certainly, and on some occasions has ended in serious injury and death. But it does take a different approach when the bullying isn't so straightforward.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Aspiezone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Oct 2010, 4:42 pm

Callista wrote:
A lot of this doesn't work for girls. Girls don't physically bulk up like guys do, and if we do it doesn't mean the same thing socially. Plus, girls get a lot more relational aggression rather than physical, which can be as bad or worse depending on the situation, and is harder to defend against. For example... It may be pretty easy to defend against a guy who's throwing a punch at you; but how do you defend against the anonymous person who left a dildo on your desk, or the people who won't stop talking about the time you walked into the wrong restroom, or the person who draws a very crude image of you doing obscene things on the classroom chalkboard? What if, every time a new kid comes into the class, they tell this person all about how horrible and weird you are, so that they are warned off from ever approaching you? It's very difficult to defend against that kind of thing. Girls are a lot more subtle... Not to belittle what the guys go through; it's not pleasant, certainly, and on some occasions has ended in serious injury and death. But it does take a different approach when the bullying isn't so straightforward.

I don't have children and don't plan to have them for many years so I have time to figure this out. Here is what I would do if I were in this girl's shoes. If I were the girl with a dildo on a desk, I'd sue for sexual harassment. If there were obscene drawings, I'd take a picture with a cell phone and call the biggest lawyers around. When you report it, remember to CRY CRY CRY. The more tears the better! If you go in there acting normal, nothing is likely to happen. Look very childlike and fragile when doing it but only do it in front of authority figures. This will give people sympathy for you and take it away from the bully.

Last edited by Aspiezone on 02 Oct 2010, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 5:03 pm

Aspiezone wrote:
When you report it, remember to CRY CRY CRY. This will give people sympathy for you and take it away from the bully.

A good way to get back at subtle bullying in school is to pinch them HARD when they try to harass you. If you make the right move, it looks innocuous and you can always say you were trying to be friendly. If you have Asperger Syndrome, this is a bonus because it can be used to shield you. Always play ignorant and use it to fight the bully. If they all ignore you, you can insult their parents in the sickest ways imaginable. If they contact the teacher about it, complete this cycle: cry, deny, repeat. The more tears the better. If there is proof, say they provoked you into an autistic meltdown. It is technically true, as we Aspies are so overwhelmed in situations such as these.

That sounds like fighting bullying with bullying, and will (like all the violent methods above) not work. A victim who complains about bullying is at the mercy of the people they complain to - if the surrounding culture denies that bullying exists, the victim is thoroughly re-victimized. If the surrounding culture recognizes bullying, then it is likely that others will complain for you and the bully will suffer. Bullying only ends when people recognize, name and reject bullying.

I prefer this definition to most others I have seen: "Workplace bullying is repeated inappropriate behaviour, direct or indirect, whether verbal, physical or otherwise, conducted by one or more persons, against another or others, at the place of work and/or in the course of employment, which could reasonably be regarded as undermining the individual’s right to dignity at work. An isolated incident of the behaviour described in this definition may be an affront to dignity at work but as a once off incident is not considered to be bullying."

Aspiezone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Oct 2010, 5:08 pm

StuartN wrote:
Aspiezone wrote:
When you report it, remember to CRY CRY CRY. This will give people sympathy for you and take it away from the bully.

A good way to get back at subtle bullying in school is to pinch them HARD when they try to harass you. If you make the right move, it looks innocuous and you can always say you were trying to be friendly. If you have Asperger Syndrome, this is a bonus because it can be used to shield you. Always play ignorant and use it to fight the bully. If they all ignore you, you can insult their parents in the sickest ways imaginable. If they contact the teacher about it, complete this cycle: cry, deny, repeat. The more tears the better. If there is proof, say they provoked you into an autistic meltdown. It is technically true, as we Aspies are so overwhelmed in situations such as these.

That sounds like fighting bullying with bullying, and will (like all the violent methods above) not work. A victim who complains about bullying is at the mercy of the people they complain to - if the surrounding culture denies that bullying exists, the victim is thoroughly re-victimized. If the surrounding culture recognizes bullying, then it is likely that others will complain for you and the bully will suffer. Bullying only ends when people recognize, name and reject bullying.

I prefer this definition to most others I have seen: "Workplace bullying is repeated inappropriate behaviour, direct or indirect, whether verbal, physical or otherwise, conducted by one or more persons, against another or others, at the place of work and/or in the course of employment, which could reasonably be regarded as undermining the individual’s right to dignity at work. An isolated incident of the behaviour described in this definition may be an affront to dignity at work but as a once off incident is not considered to be bullying."

I don't really see it as bullying. I see it as legitimate self defense. Other than the pinching (maybe a little over the top now that I think of it), none of these methods seem very "violent". In cases like these, incidents tend to repeat. The more evidence you have the better. If my child were being bullied (I don't have any kids yet but have very low tolerance for bullying), I would give her a recrording device and have her take pictures of and/or record other students and their harassing behavior. If the camera is in view and it's in a public place, it's not illegal. If they try to mess with her, she can always remind them that the camera is rolling. They will clean up their act if they know they are being taped. If the school isn't on your side, keep documenting their responses. If they keep dismissing you, use it as ammunition against them in trying to sue. As there are many of us who technically have PTSD, go to a psychologist and get diagnosed. The school can be held responsible for your psychological damage. If they have a problem with that, they should try treating people with respect.