Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 3:12 pm

Who else here doesn't have any desire to have a pet?

I find most other independent Aspies are the same, that they've no desire for a pet.

People are always trying to persuade me to have a dog or cat or something, because I'm alone and it would be company for me. It's touted as something I absolutely need. Seems too much like forced conformity with social norms for me and when I'm at home, technology reliably fills that role for me.

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 3:13 pm

But I luuuuv my doggy.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 3:19 pm

Keeno, would it make any difference if it was a doggy or kitten that would be put down if they couldn't find someone to adopt them soonest?

robo37
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 3:28 pm

I prefer cats than dogs. I stroke my cat every day.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 3:35 pm

I think the OP has things turned around as humans do not acquire pets but pets do acquire humans.

Heartcooksbrain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Feb 2009, 3:37 pm

You can have my cat. She drives me insane with her shireking cries for nothing.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 3:47 pm

Greentea wrote:
Keeno, would it make any difference if it was a doggy or kitten that would be put down if they couldn't find someone to adopt them soonest?

In my post I really wasn't thinking as far as that they should be put down. Some people might be happy with 2, or 3, or 20 cats, but not everyone has to have one. Some people might want several pets or might be happy with an extra pet who would otherwise be put down, but not everyone has to have one.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 4:06 pm

If anything, I thought people with social disorders would want pets more. You don't have to worry about socializing with your pet. Your pet will never judge you and will love you unconditionally. I do have a pet and I hope for more someday.

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 4:12 pm

My dog lives with my folks. It does get lonely in this apartment when my boyfriend's at work. I would really like to have a cat, but there are other more important things I need to do first before I go out & get a pet.

AC132
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Feb 2009, 5:21 pm

I don't really want a pet. I have trouble looking after a houseplant and an actual creature would take a lot more effort to care for. As I'm on my own, I have had people suggest I should get an animal (a house rabbit was suggested at one point...) but I don't have any desire to share my space (be it physical, mental or temporal). People really, really don't seem to get that.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 5:43 pm

Once I move out, I honestly don't want to own a pet ever again. My mom's a major animal lover and, for my entire life, has loved those stupid pets more than me. I'm definitely not the only one to notice this either. If none of this had happened, I'm sure I'd love to have a pet or two when I'm married and have a family. But I really, really don't want anymore pets ever again.

ngonz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2009, 9:01 pm

I like wild animals, but really can't stand domesticated animals. I will never be able to have one in the house. Besides their smell and filthy habits, I just don't have a love for animals. I understand that many people can love their pets like family members, but I don't have it in me.

I know lots of ASD people who really do love dogs and cats, though. What they don't get from people, they get in abundance from their pets.

www.neurointegrity.com

KazigluBey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Feb 2009, 9:05 pm

No cats . . . under any circumstance in my house.

I do enjoy dogs, but smaller ones--especially dachshund. I used to have a piranha, but had to get rid of it when I moved to SC.

If I had the money and the appropriate setting, I might even get a monkey.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 9:22 pm

Prosser wrote:
But I luuuuv my doggy.

seconded.

I've always loved dogs. I remember I prayed for a dog when I was little because all I had was a fat cat that did nothing. I've owned 5 dogs since then - all at different times, and I still have one and she's the best. She does annoy me at times with her high picthed squeal and she feels it neccessary to howl whenever she hears sirens or is lonley, but I can actually play rough with her, unlike with my cats.

KazigluBey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Feb 2009, 9:29 pm

pensieve wrote:
but I can actually play rough with her

Hear, hear! I absolutely LOVE playing rough with dogs (though not too rough). We attend a small group for our church and they have this mop with legs whose name is Buddy. Anyway, he's my favorite part of the group meeting (shhh, don't say anything though). He's so quick and playful; I find it thoroughly entertaining.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 9:35 pm

I would love a pet German Shephard to keep me company, those dogs are just big enough for me, have a heart of gold, and although they are not that cute, they are fun to be around and quite loyal.