Whats the general NT way of friendship lines?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Joshandspot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jun 2009, 3:00 am

By this i mean over the years in like a middle school and high school setting, how many friends to most nt's make. Do they make groups or individual and do they do their own thing or do they follow what the group does? I was hanging out with someone today from high school and he was talking about different groups of friends that he had and I wondered how the groups work for nts? does anyone else know?

Eller
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 7:11 am

I don't think there is only one way for NTs to approach the matter of friendships. Remember, they are all different people with different personalities. Generalizing is hardly possible.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 5:21 pm

What Eller said. There is no pattern. It depends on personality. Some people like to have just a few extremely close friends and spend most of their time with just them. Some people like to mingle with lots and lots and lots of people. Some people go along with the groups' plans. Some people are natural leaders and make the groups' plans. Some people split up from group temporarily and do their own thing and reconvene with the group later. Some people do any of the above at different times with different people. There is no pattern.

I am NT. Back in school (10,00 years ago) I made a few close friends and spent all my time with them. In college I hopped around amongst many different groups of people and had enormous numbers of friends. As an adult I am back to having long-standing friendships with small numvers of people. Sometimes I make the plans. Sometimes somebody else makes the plans. And my experience says literally nothing about what any other random NT person might say. No pattern.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 8:12 pm

If you took NTs and put them in a grid, and drew connections between them based on the strength of relationships, and made the connections thicker or thinner, what would the pattern look like when you zoomed out? I think there should be a certain overall density, and groups with lots of lines between them, and social butterflies looking like stars in the pattern; and introverted with their more geometric small numbers of thick lines...

I think visually, can you tell?

I know you say it's a chaotic system; but I've seen patterns come out of chaotic systems too many times to believe that "chaotic" truly means "unpredictable". It only means that on the small scale. Chaotic pixels on the small scale; zoom out to see the picture.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 8:57 am

While there isn't a clear pattern between people's individual relationships, in middle and high school, most people either put themselves in a group or are put in a group. They have nicknames for those groups (preps, stoners, etc.) that change over the generations.

I was in the group of bookish people, though I didn't quite belong and I didn't really put myself there. It was a loose coalition of the intelligent social outcasts. :)