Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Shivan
Raven
Raven

21 Feb 2009, 12:19 pm

I'm extremely sensitive to noise, making my ears/head hurt a lot. For example, I heard a water leak coming from a pipe under our house. Drove me crazy until hubby called the plumber and he had to come out on a Saturday to fix it.

Does any one have any suggestions on how to deal with the noise? Being in a quiet room is not an option, I can also hear my blood go through my veins and have ringing in my ears.

hostile_fossil
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2009, 12:32 pm

Earplugs will likely be suggested, and while they're wonderful for some problems, they can't fix every instance.

You might want to invest in a white noise CD or generator, which neutralizes annoying background noises with a soothing frequency. Both can be found online, and perhaps in some large discount stores like Wal-Mart, Kohl's or Target. Shop around.

jacola
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Feb 2009, 12:42 pm

My son has the same problem, failed a hearing test when 9 years old,
Had operation to remove tonsils & anoids & for grommets in ears. Could not fit grommets in ears at time of operation due to the narrowness of his ear canals. He has boarderline hearing loss & a hearing aid would not benefit him due to the changing frequencey with noise. He is now 14

Shivan
Raven
Raven

21 Feb 2009, 1:01 pm

hostile_fossil wrote:
Earplugs will likely be suggested, and while they're wonderful for some problems, they can't fix every instance.

You might want to invest in a white noise CD or generator, which neutralizes annoying background noises with a soothing frequency. Both can be found online, and perhaps in some large discount stores like Wal-Mart, Kohl's or Target. Shop around.

Thanks for the suggestion - my therapist has a white noise machine in her office. The noise from it also drives me nuts, she usually has to turn it off for me.

cassandra
Raven
Raven

21 Feb 2009, 1:10 pm

Silicon ear plugs are best. I have to sleep with them as well as I am very sensitive to noise.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2009, 2:52 pm

I am extremely sensitive to noise. Even if the phone rings, I let out a scream. I just can't handle sudden sounds, especially if they are loud. I have a macaw (a bird) named Tiny and his screams are at 105 db. Anything over 85 db is damaging to your hearing. I'm surprised that I'm not deaf from his screams!

irikarah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Feb 2009, 5:43 pm

Very sensitive. I get extremely agitated by ambient noise, like the faint whine of an engine, neighbors shuffling around, music that's just above a certain threshold (esp. extremely high-pitched sounds or bass), etc.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2009, 5:56 pm

Try getting a pair of noise cancelling headphones, only problem is that they block out almost everything. I need to get a pair myself. Sensitivities to sound are pretty common amounst aspies, or at least that's what I have noticed here. I hate how sensitive I am to sound, and mine is not quite as bad as some people here.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2009, 6:36 pm

I'm sensitive to some noises, especially shouting. What helps me is trying to tune noises out and going into my own world. It's what calms me down, so maybe it'll be the same for you.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

FePixie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2009, 8:56 pm

Oh yup - try making some noise of your own that you can tolerate - I have the stereo on 24/7 playing just loud enough to mask all the annoying noises that niggle - computers fridge screens lightbulbs etc... Not the radio with pesky people shouting on it tho - i hook up a huge playlist on the puter, to the stereo, n set it going for a coupla weeks atta time :P

Aalto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2009, 9:37 pm

I'm probably more of a pedant. It doesn't physically hurt my ears when confronted with most violating sounds, but just angers and disconcerts me. There's some pointless small box of a building by where I wait for my bus in the mornings that's almost always making a thick, high-pitched, loud sound, and when I've not got my headphones on I can't possibly be happy about life around it. Things like that. Still can't bear when the phone goes either. At some points I even threw that thing against the wall or downstairs when it went off in front of me.

Maditude
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2009, 9:48 pm

When I was very young, I was able to hear dog whistles and they hurt. I lost an eardrum to chicken pox when I was 4. Loud bangs like the noise from a nearby lightning strike still bother me.

"Vortex of Freedom" Radio Show
Saturdays 6PM Eastern - 5PM Central
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maditude

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2009, 11:23 pm

hostile_fossil wrote:
Earplugs will likely be suggested

$1 for reusable ones at safety stores

Shivan
Raven
Raven

22 Feb 2009, 12:38 pm

cassandra wrote:
Silicon ear plugs are best. I have to sleep with them as well as I am very sensitive to noise.

Do you have a brand that you recommend? Right now, I use SuperLeight foam ear plugs since they're the best I've tried so far. I haven't tried any silicone ones.

Thanks for the info everyone. :)

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2009, 1:20 pm

I find if i tell my brain to tune out the small stuff, it can help, especially if it's predictable. Sometimes the brain just doesn't know what to do with the data and needs to be instructed. (I get that for unfamiliar physical pain, too.) But if the noise is over a certain volume, I can't tune it out and so I deteriorate.

Exercise helps buffer the stress from it.

ARandomPerson
Raven
Raven

22 Feb 2009, 1:29 pm

Shivan wrote:
I'm extremely sensitive to noise, making my ears/head hurt a lot. For example, I heard a water leak coming from a pipe under our house. Drove me crazy until hubby called the plumber and he had to come out on a Saturday to fix it.

Does any one have any suggestions on how to deal with the noise? Being in a quiet room is not an option, I can also hear my blood go through my veins and have ringing in my ears.

common, the only way to get used to it is to listen to it, so you need to diliberatly place yourself in the specific situations you do not like so you will not be as sensitive anymore.