Do you think inanimate objects are alive?

Page 4 of 7 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 6:06 pm

Doro wrote:
Yes, I can relate to the most of you here...
I know that so well...

The whole world appears to me alive ever since.

Whe I was little I cried my heart out when an object broke or got treated mean by an adult.

When an object broke that I loved dearly and used to sleep with, I was unhappy for weeks!

I never lost this kind of thinking and feeling.

I feel deeply connected to metal. When I polish a workpiece - I do that for a living - I think it feels good when I do a good job on it, and it will do a good job at the customer, when I treated it right.

Failing feels horrible to me, and they know the failing is for me the worst punishment for having failed. I feel sorry when I messed up and cry inside, but don't show off too much, I know the least NTs would understand.

Ahh :( try not to be too hard on yourself

Doro
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 6:10 pm

benjimanbreeg wrote:
Ahh :( try not to be too hard on yourself

Thank you. :)

No, I don't think I'm too hard on myself. I love my live the way it is. :)

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 6:29 pm

well good! :)

fbug
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2009, 12:55 am

This thread made me remember this :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhIq4SoZFAQ&feature=related[/youtube]

I'm not really autistic. The "professionals" who labeled me couldn't distinguish an anxiety disorder from a developmental disability. I'm just here to give advice to help prevent what was done to me from happening to anyone else.

fbug
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2009, 1:37 am

This thread made me remember this :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhIq4SoZFAQ&feature=related[/youtube]

I'm not really autistic. The "professionals" who labeled me couldn't distinguish an anxiety disorder from a developmental disability. I'm just here to give advice to help prevent what was done to me from happening to anyone else.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 6:40 pm

my view, yes, objects are alive in a way, look at it on an atomic level, the electrons, and protons that make up that keyboard you typing on, the car you drive, my door closer, Doro's closer, all move to help the material hold its shape after machines heat, press, cut and shape an object,

i too feel bad when something gets broken or gets abused, and mad at the aggressor that is letting anger out on the victim(object)

in some cases an object can attack back, my dad once got aggressive towards an old closer of mine that is not mounted on any door, an old 1952 traditional style russwin, (commonly found in schools and old buildings) what started it was an argument about yahoo finance settings, (cant change share rate unless you delete and reenter the stock with new share rate) as a result to me saying "i don't know there may not be a setting available for that yet" my dad threatened to cut my closer up with a torch and when he went to grab arm the arm swung around and pinched him between thumb and index finger (the web) my dad learned his lesson after a few times of me threatening to destroy his stuff if he did inflict any harm to my innocent closer. morrow of story, dont mess with something that is not yours and has NOTHING to do with the argument.

i also find it sad that many objects cannot speak and get point across that they can be fixed, not sold or scrapped or tossed out. i feel that fixing something (especially if attached to the item) is alot cheaper then to replace whole item.

for example, if a closer leaks, someone can either repalce the leaking o-ring or replace the whole closer with a new one, heres how i see it,

o-ring to fix leak, 50 cents, closer to replace leaking one, over 100( in some instances depending on brand/model chosen), so what would you rather do, me, id rather replace the leaking o-ring.

Transplantman
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Feb 2009, 11:03 pm

unfortunately or fortunately, I'm not nearly as bad about this as I was as a child. I've forced myself to get over a lot of my hangups but I do remember vividly feeling deep sadness and empathy in a very real way for objects. My family only moved twice in my life before I left home and both were before I was 8. Leaving a house made me deeply sad. The house was as much a member of my family as the people and the pets. Its windows were eyes, like the headlights on cars. We stayed in a dingy hole of an apartment while our house was being built and when it was time to move in I was dragged kicking and bawling out of that poor old apartment. It must have been so lonely when we left!
I didn't get rid of any of my possessions till probably the age of 16 because that underlying fear of hurting the poor trinket was always a little bit there.

unreal3x
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Feb 2009, 11:32 pm

Never, even when I was a kid.
The only exception I can think of was the TV, for a brief period of time I thought that there was a little old man in the TV furiously drawing each each frame by hand, so I felt bad watching the TV and forcing him to work so hard.

cdc2001c

26 Feb 2009, 12:38 am

I don't really think that objects or things have feelings themselves, but I will put my own feelings upon them. I have a really hard time getting rid of things, like my old toys. I look at them and remember how they were the only real friends that I had at the time.(I was a small child in a house of teenagers and no kids for neighbors and I lived in the country). So my toys became like friends to me. I still have most of them from my Transformers and Ninja Turtles, Hot Wheels, etc. I have had people offer good money for some of my old transformers because they are in such good shape but I know that I will not get rid of them because it would hurt too much.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 1:23 am

No, but they feel just as dead to me as humans and animals.

animal
Toucan
Toucan

26 Feb 2009, 3:00 am

No.

But usually I forget that people are not just objects or systems. My problem is that I don't see enough anima.

I am very attached to certain objects, however. But I like them in and for themselves, not for any other reason.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 9:11 am

unreal3x wrote:
Never, even when I was a kid.
The only exception I can think of was the TV, for a brief period of time I thought that there was a little old man in the TV furiously drawing each each frame by hand, so I felt bad watching the TV and forcing him to work so hard.

When I was really young (like before the age of 5) I thought this, too. Also, one time someone jokingly told me that a little man worked inside of pop machines, and I took them literally. I don't know how long I believed that, but it was quite awhile. I felt really bad for them being inside such a tiny space for so long.

sue88
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Feb 2009, 12:19 pm

tinky wrote:
i often apologize for hitting an object. i used to feel really sorry about breaking glasses and plates. i still feel really sad when a glass breaks. especially when the glass bounces when it first hits the ground and then shatters on the second hit. i could've saved it but i wasn't quick enough. poor glass.

I felt similar about a balloon when I was little.
I accidently let go of the balloon and then got very upset as it was floating away. Then I realized that if I had jumped up a bit I could have grabbed it before it was too late and I was even more upset that I missed that chance.

Popee
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Mar 2009, 12:21 am

I still do this very often. It can be very bad. In fact I am writing a short film at the moment about an inanimate object coming alive. It must have something to do with the fact that I have felt this way for most of my life.

I've been trying to watch a lot of films about inanimate objects and how I can get mine to become "alive"

Eire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2009, 12:47 am

I do feel like inanimate objects have feelings. I get attached to objects sometimes. I hate when people trash things.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 12:50 am

If it's something from a memorable vacation, then it's got a lot of sentimental value.