Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 1:44 pm

Amsterdam has opened up its first cinema for Autistic people, the news said.
It will not be so dark and not so loud and the fims 'will be predictable' the press said.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 1:51 pm

Predictable how? Because I bet a lot of us would be bored by predictable plots!

They need to caption the movies. Auditory processing of speech can be difficult.

A movie theater with a speaker system that didn't turn your nice afternoon into a headache might be a plus, though. And the contrast between light and dark can be annoying. Still, I don't think those are the major problems with movie theaters--it's mostly that you're not at home and there's people around you wearing perfume and eating things.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 1:53 pm

Callista wrote:
Predictable how? Because I bet a lot of us would be bored by predictable plots!

They need to caption the movies. Auditory processing of speech can be difficult.

A movie theater with a speaker system that didn't turn your nice afternoon into a headache might be a plus, though. And the contrast between light and dark can be annoying. Still, I don't think those are the major problems with movie theaters--it's mostly that you're not at home and there's people around you wearing perfume and eating things.

I agree. I was wondering what stereotype of Autistic people have in mind, to call us consumers of predictability

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 1:58 pm

Fantastical. Image

I doubt something like that or anything catered to aspies would happen in this here kneck of the woods. :hic:

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 2:05 pm

In general, we do like things to be predictable; but if you think about why that is--generally it's difficult to adjust on the fly to new situations--then paving the way for autistic people to enjoy a situation means informing them what's coming up. If I ran the movie theater, I'd hand out or display programs, like they do when you go to hear an orchestra perform, with times for everything and a clock posted somewhere so you could see what was coming up and when it was going to happen. I'd also have tickets that assigned seats, and people could reserve their seats ahead of time so they could always sit in the same seats. There would be a ban on perfume, and the seats would be far apart from each other so nobody would have to smell anybody else. And the movies that were going to be playing would be posted up ahead of time, along with the times they were going to show and when they would stop showing. Also, the snacks and drinks would always be the same, and what was available would be posted on a web site, with notices if they ran out of supplies or stopped selling something. You could go to the web site and order your snack and be given a receipt with a number on it, to print out, and trade it in for your food when you got to the movie theater. And if they had enough screens, they should only stop showing a movie when they had it come out on DVD, so whoever had been watching that movie could buy it and watch it at home instead.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 2:27 pm

I highly doubt they based the project on stereotypes, they most likely did plenty of research by talking to professionals and autistics in their community. At least that would be the proper thing to do and I can't see them wasting their money without some kind of research.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 2:32 pm

I would need to see the movie choices to know for sure.

robo37
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 2:45 pm

When I go to a cinema I like it being dark, I like the films being loud, I like films that are not predictable. Why would I want to go there?

sillyputty
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 3:16 pm

Aren't most films (coming out of Hollywood, anyway) already predictable? :lol:

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 6:16 pm

sillyputty wrote:
Aren't most films (coming out of Hollywood, anyway) already predictable? :lol:

In Europe we do have cinemas that show the independent or alternative movies too.

NUTLOG
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Feb 2009, 6:29 pm

Gee, sounds kinda lame. They should have consulted me before they opened this place. I would've installed a large catapult to fire popcorn at anyone who speaks during the movie. Or anyone who rustles food wrappers excessively.
Then I'd double space the seats, so I don't have to be so close to odorous strangers.
Any tall people would be sent to sit at the back so they don't obscure anyones view. Measuring would take place prior to each movie shown.
And finally all the films shown must include at least one of the following: ninjas, chimpanzees, lasers, evil clowns or people wearing oversized novelty hats.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 6:50 pm

NUTLOG wrote:
Gee, sounds kinda lame. They should have consulted me before they opened this place. I would've installed a large catapult to fire popcorn at anyone who speaks during the movie. Or anyone who rustles food wrappers excessively.
Then I'd double space the seats, so I don't have to be so close to odorous strangers.
Any tall people would be sent to sit at the back so they don't obscure anyones view. Measuring would take place prior to each movie shown.
And finally all the films shown must include at least one of the following: ninjas, chimpanzees, lasers, evil clowns or people wearing oversized novelty hats.

right on!

koolguy18
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Feb 2009, 10:39 pm

movies are overated

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 11:31 pm

koolguy18 wrote:
movies are overated

so are the wages of actors and sportsstars

koolguy18
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Feb 2009, 11:33 pm

but y?

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 11:35 pm

:lmao: Nutlog

Well, they say that autistics have a low IQ, so I guess the predictability is taking that into account...?