Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 2:48 pm

is there any chance to work as cashier if u are aspie? can i make my axsiensy lower if i get it ?

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 2:51 pm

I did it (granted, not for long but for other issues) and actually I do think that forcing myself to interact and be friendly really did help me. It depends on the person, though I think. It helped me because I had been isolated for a long time so some of my problem was from that and jumping into such a situation helped.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 2:57 pm

I have done it, d it is harder to get the job than it is to work the job... By harder, I mean they don't like aspie traits when they are highering cashier positions. Easy job though, if you can handle people in the doses you will get as one.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 3:09 pm

Padium wrote:
I have done it, d it is harder to get the job than it is to work the job... By harder, I mean they don't like aspie traits when they are highering cashier positions. Easy job though, if you can handle people in the doses you will get as one.
ya acsually higest fear i have regarding to this is my speech as it tends to get unclear due of axsiency so i likely will show off as grumpy not to mention my lack off face emotions :P other then that i think i can come off great

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 3:14 pm

I have been working as a cashier for over 2 1/2 years. It is a pretty simple job. Say hello, smile, bag item. Nod if customer makes a statement.

I have gotten many compliments on my "great customer service."

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

27 Feb 2009, 3:19 pm

If I worked as cashier, I would say the same words over and over to each customer. Problem solved. It's like learning lines for your part in a movie.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 3:24 pm

CleverKitten wrote:
I have been working as a cashier for over 2 1/2 years. It is a pretty simple job. Say hello, smile, bag item. Nod if customer makes a statement.

I have gotten many compliments on my "great customer service."
thanks for this u really helped :)

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 3:37 pm

Working as a cashier is a breeze for me. It's so easy and I don't mind the actual work...scanning products, putting them into sacks, totalling the amount due, taking payment then giving change if there's any. Payment by check and then putting the check into that machine so it debits the account, credit card as method of payment, whatever. All of it is soooo easy for me that's the thing. If people would let me work they would be so surprised because I really am much more adept than most people it's the truth.
The biggest problem for me; people don't want to believe it or accept this about me. They want to believe I am incompetent and they won't let me do what is easiest for me which is being a cashier. They want to give me a job I am awful at instead and the only reason is they think it's all I am capable of so I end up doing worse because I am not good at manual labor.
The thing is, I am pretty accurate but no one wants to believe this and when I prove people wrong sometimes they get angry about it, even. It's ridiculous. Customers, even, don't want to believe I am competent not because I'm not but because, soley, based on the way I look. It's something I've been fighting my entire life.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 3:48 pm

sorry to hear that anna...any chance they have test times so they can see your potential? :?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 5:10 pm

It might be easier if I could take a test. Where I live we put in applications and call and they either schedule an interview or say they don't need anyone. When they schedule an interview I usually don't get hired not even for crappy manual labor.
You know what I think is unfair? I have taken tests before for cashier jobs at places like 7/11 and Lowe's and the tests had absolutely nothing to do with the work. Why not put a cash register in front of me and see how I do on that? Or stocking shelves? Filling out paperwork? It's more realistic than giving me a test and saying I didn't do well enough on it, which I don't believe anyway because I usually do really well on those types of tests. I think some of them use it as an excuse even tho it's a lie!
I did get one job after I did really well on a test and it was because I called them up and asked for the results and made sure they knew I needed the job so they didn't have an excuse not to hire me.
Maybe it's because all they had was the test results and my voice on the phone, but after they hired me and I went to their training sessions I saw another side and the supervisor was quite rude to me and he was at fault for the way he was treating me because I did absolutely nothing wrong. I was polite, I did what they told me, I studied the book they wanted us to study. I did everything they wanted and still they tried to cause problems for me. It was a government job so I was too scared to make any waves. I didn't want to get fired from a government job. It was a temporary position and I did finish it but not without unnecessary BS which, IMHO there is absolutely no excuse for.
When you got someone that is showing up to work and doing their job and doing the job the same way the
supervisor does, why should anyone object?
That is exactly what I did. I did the exact same thing the supervisor did during our training, going to the apartment manager for the names of the people who weren't at home when we knocked and I had to go to a retraining session because of that. I was getting everything done twice as fast as everyone else and they were accusing me of nonsense, like filling in answers myself and making up names and addresses and I told them they could call and see for themselves every single name, address and phone number was totally legitimate and every piece of information I had came straight from the people I had to interview and the supervisor just looked at me and said "We'll see because after we go thru everyone's name and address someone is going to call and verify every one of these names."
All because I was getting everything accomplished twice as fast as nearly everyone else and they were telling each other "There is no way that moron can do this job that quickly there must be something up"
Can you believe it? This is what I have to put up with on the job and it is completely unfair and I wish there was something I could do to make sure no one has to go thru this kind of bs from supervisors.
Another chick did much worse than I did and my crew leader wanted her to go to retraining because she was making many more mistakes but the supervisor insisted I be the one to go and it's like a reprimand. It keeps you from advancing to the next rounds when the main part of the work is over. It's blatant discrimination and there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it.
I didn't do anything to deserve it. I swear it isn't fair. I think it has more to do with this part of the country. I don't know if other places in the US are quite as backward.

Stray-Ana
Raven
Raven

27 Feb 2009, 8:58 pm

It must depend on the individual...If you feel you want too, why not give it a go, you might be awesome at it.

...I would make the worst cashier - the expected multi tasking and small talk exchange, the person moving about or even just standing there all are distractions and too much for me and if the store is even slightly busy and such like my mind would go blank and unable to concentrate at all. I can't use self service checkouts as a shopper for similar reasons - I just can't keep any attention on the screen or voice prompts in such an environment. I have done sales of our own where I had to take money and I can't concentrate long enough to count the money people give or count back change or anything, I get a few counts in then I'm blocked in my head and without wanting to I start over and over. The best job for me in a store would be shelf stacker or something - I can categorize things into groups and stack things - I display my own cupboards at home like that [all cans in groups, labels facing just right etc!]

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 9:52 pm

I work at a grocery store and I am a cashier once in a while. I have no problem with it because it's not very hard. After a while, you get use to it. Customer Service is a different story which I would NEVER do. I'll admit, at times I don't greet the customer because I don't feel like it and it's busy anyways. They don't seem to care though. I still try to say "have a nice day" even though I don't like saying it. I suppose I have to say something to them. I'm a Service Clerk(bagger, carriage getter, bottle room cleaner ect) a lot more though which requires much less social skills and much more down time which I like better.

Mittens
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Feb 2009, 5:31 am

Padium wrote:
it is harder to get the job than it is to work the job... By harder, I mean they don't like aspie traits when they are highering cashier positions..

That is true to some extent. I just got out of a 5 month job at a cashier (my first job), since I needed to save some money for my harp instrument. For the entire first few months, my managers would tell me to not stare at the ground, speak louder, and "not be so shy". They were very ignorant when I would try to tell them that it's difficult for me, more than most people, and would abuse my willingness to please. I toughed it out, and only until this Thursday did I quit, due to bad management issues and a buildup of stress overall.

I thought the actual cashier job was O.K, since the store I worked in wasn't so busy... But during the times when customers take their anger out on me, I lose all sense of concentration and I make a lot of mistakes. My managers yell at me from the back for making those mistakes, and offered no support to help me with the angry customer (I wasn't trained properly how to deal with this, and the mistakes I was making further angered the customer..)

All in all, I think it's a good job to have for a little while, just for experience. To know your limits and what you can do, but I don't think it's an ideal job for an aspie. Definitely not. I don't mean to discourage you though -- I know a lot of people can do it, and some have more problems with it. This is why I say just try it out and see if it is for you.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 3:39 pm

I've had a couple of cashiering jobs, and if you have traits of NLD (nonverbal learning disorder), you might have difficulty. I had the worst trouble trying to give people correct change, and my register never added up at the end of the day so that I always had to make the difference out of my own money. You also have to be pretty good at multi-tasking and divided attention.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 4:49 pm

I am working as a cashier at a grocery store, but the people there know me well and are nice. I had difficulty at first with the customers, and would panic somewhat when one got mad at me.

That doesn't bother me as much now, but what does bother me is the constant din of checkout isle TVs, register beeps, and piped in store music going on at once. Plus the bright overhead lights and breezy vents don't help either. And when you have all that and reading the body language of the customers too, you get very mentally tired.

That is why I opt often to gather carts from the lot, because its more relaxing and full of exercise that way. Or I will ask to help out in the floral department, as thats not that stressful.

ngonz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Feb 2009, 4:55 pm

I worked as a cashier for 16 years and I am an Aspie. It was difficult at first because I don't like to be around a lot of people and I always would get really bad performance anxiety if I had to do anything for anybody. I was a most excellent cashier, though. I was faster than anybody and I bagged their stuff safer and faster than anybody. :) I was also pleasant. Being a cashier helped my social skills a lot.

So, believe me when I say this: If I can do it, anybody can. And that's no exaggeration.

www.neurointegrity.com